The gym and dreaded "bacne" :(

nstock
nstock Posts: 135 Member
Hey!
I find that the more time I spend sweating at the gym, the worse my back gets with break outs. Working out in a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt is out of the question (I get too hot in just a tank). Anyone else have this issue or any remedies?! I am desperate to try anything at this point!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I have no idea what is going on here. This does not happen to me.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Do you shower right after? This used to happen to me in high school. The girls had to work out first thing in the morning and they gave us no time to shower so basically we sat in our own filth all day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    nstock wrote: »
    Hey!
    I find that the more time I spend sweating at the gym, the worse my back gets with break outs. Working out in a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt is out of the question (I get too hot in just a tank). Anyone else have this issue or any remedies?! I am desperate to try anything at this point!

When I started working out, I began to break out on my chest, face and back. I noticed that if I took a shower immediately went home it cleared up significantly. I also wash my face 2x daily instead of once and that seems to keep it at bay as well.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    I've never had bacne but I know that a lot of gym acne is caused by sweat sitting on the skin. So I would recommend in my inexpert opinion: showering right after you workout using a mild soap, use a gentle exfoliate 1-2 a week and a mild moisturizer daily. A lot of people with acne don't use moisturizer but that causes the skin to get dry promoting the skin to produce more oil and the result is more acne. The goal is to stabilize the oil production of the skin.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    A good loofah on a stick, that is long enough to wash your back, should improve the problem. Or a partner willing to wash your back each time. I vote for number 2, but sometimes it isn't possible. :blush:

Clean and Clear makes a good body wash that helps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    One of two things:

1. Shower
    2. Get off gear
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    There is some company that also makes a back spray, I think it's Proactiv. That's easy to do yourself at the gym but I'm not sure if it bleaches clothes or not.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    lol FYI I do shower!! I was wondering if there were any products or something I can do differently. I am going to try some of these out. Thanks guys!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Wear clean workout clothes every time you workout. You may already do that but, based on the Confessions thread elsewhere, I thought I would point it out.
  • BeccaLifting
    BeccaLifting Posts: 6 Member
    Some products can, in themselves, cause breakouts. So as you shower right after working out perhaps try a different shampoo and shower gel/soap. Perhaps you are reacting to something all the more for your pores all being open with the warmth and sweat?

If you have acne anywhere else it may be worth seeing your doctor to make sure it's not a hormonal imbalance?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I have your same exact issue. DO NOT use benzyl peroxide products as they will bleach allllll your clothes. I have to get out of my workout clothes immediately after the workout... If you don't have time to shower, use a baby wipe as much as you can on your back (get ready to get flexible!)

Another thing my doctor told me to do (and this one is a little unorthodox but it works) go out in the sun just for a little bit. Don't get burnt, don't try and get tan... Just a little UV ray on your back.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Just wear a t-shirt! Seriously, how hot is your gym?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2015
    You mentioned time as the issue. I keep a towel close to wipe down often. I also will have multiple workout clothes if out. At home I just workout in a sports bra and wipe down often. The longer the bacteria sits on you...