Chia seeds... do they work for weightloss?

Options
MaitreyeeMAYHEM
MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am a huge tea drinker. I love green and black teas, it helps me drink water. Are some teas better then others?

I heard this new thing that chia seeds are actually good for you. Like rice, they expand in your stomach to make you full. If you put it with tea it will possibly work better.

Is this accurate or no?

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's going to take on a completely different texture, the seeds get slimey and it grosses out some people. (My husband *cough*.) I will sometimes put them in coconut water after a workout.
    They do have a decent dose of fiber and a little protein, but I don't really feel full after drinking them. They also have 60 cal/TBS. Where did you hear this?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was pretty bummed the first time I logged chia seeds. Not worth the calories.

I'd heard the stomach filling claim somewhere...definitely gets the side-eye. Also, chia seeds will either keep you on the throne for hours or will constipate you tremendously, depending on how much water they encounter along their little journey.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Well I was listening on the radio and did some research and people are saying its the new "it" thing for weight loss. I will want to eat healthy but I would mind trying chia seeds to see if I like them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I find them completely overrated. They add a decent texture for overnight oats, but as far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much the extent of my use for them. Too many calories for the 'benefits'. You're better off eating 150g of carrots...
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I find them completely overrated. They add a decent texture for overnight oats, but as far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much the extent of my use for them. Too many calories for the 'benefits'. You're better off eating 150g of carrots...

Carrots and celery are my favorite. hahaha
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If they call it "the new it thing" I immeadiately tune out.

And now I want some carrots and have none with me today.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I use them to thicken the sauces in my stir fries if they are too watery for my liking.

OP, they don't have any weight loss properties, no food does. (No food has magical weight gain properties beyond its caloric content, either) Chia seeds are just some cool little seeds that start off looking like poppy seeds and then get kind of a slimy coating on them when they get wet.

They also can be used to grow "hair" on a terra cotta head or creature.
  • Xefyria
    Xefyria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are usually used for their good properties (like antioxidants), not for the "stomach filling" thing. I use them. I love them. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Sure, they work as much as any other food in existence. Eat too many and you'll gain weight, fit them into your calories and lose weight.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love using it to make chia seed pudding. The texture does turn off some people. They can be filling when they've soaked up liquid prior to eating them...but I eat them because I like the pudding. That's about it lol.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I couldn't imagine them in tea. I add them to my greek yogurt or cottage cheese at breakfast. Not really a weight loss tool for me but they do help keep me ahem, regular. Add water and make sure they are fully rehydrated before eating them. Never eat dry seeds as they can choke you.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I normally eat flax seeds anyway and put them in my food. I was thinking about doing the same thing with chia seeds but after hearing all this maybe it won't taste as good?
  • CherylynBen
    CherylynBen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Chia is good for a smoothie, as are flax seeds. I only use a combo of a chia/flax blend from Carrington Farms in the a.m., with my NutriBullet smoothie. The veggies and fruit make their taste undetectable. They are "hot" because of the Omega 3's they provide. If it's not for you, you can get that in salmon instead, or other sources. I wish it was filling. I've heard people claim it to be, but I've never felt full from either chia or flax.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I use them to thicken the sauces in my stir fries if they are too watery for my liking.

OP, they don't have any weight loss properties, no food does. (No food has magical weight gain properties beyond its caloric content, either) Chia seeds are just some cool little seeds that start off looking like poppy seeds and then get kind of a slimy coating on them when they get wet.

They also can be used to grow "hair" on a terra cotta head or creature.

I never thought to use them to thicken sauces. Thanks for that idea! :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I really like chia pudding. Not bad in a green smoothie either.
  • rjsnau
    rjsnau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think they are not great from a weight loss perspective. 60 calories in a tablespoon is alot and they doesn't fill you up. But from a health perspective I think they are great. I have noticed a good change in my cholesterol profile after a couple months of having 1.5 Tablespoons in my smoothie. As with anything I just make sure it fits in my calorie profile and will leave it out if I know I have a high calorie meal coming.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Whats the difference between chia seeds and flax seeds?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am suspicious of the latest newest thing, right out of the gate. But I do like to try new foods just for the fun of it. Just don't expect magic results.

I suggest your first venture with chia seeds be as a pudding.
    http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/chia-seed-pudding-recipes/

What is the difference between chia seeds and flax seeds?

Chia seeds make baby chia plants. Flax seeds make baby flax plants. Put a spoonful of chia in a bowl and add water. Watch them plump up. Flax won't do the same. Flax has lots of flax oil, is high fiber and high calorie, and will help you be regular. Chia is full of highly soluble fiber and is also high calorie, and will help you be regular.

Another highly soluble high fiber product is konjac root. You may want to try that as well, but take with a lot of water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As for what tea is better, it all depends on what you want from your tea. Do you want a little caffeine boost? Then have tea made from the tea leaf. This could be green tea, oolong, orange pekoe, or whatever you enjoy.

Herbal teas all have different properties. Ginger will help settle your stomach, and chamomile is calming.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I find chia seeds to be very mild in flavor and perfect for that reason. I very much enjoy chocolate chia seed pudding, but I also use them dry in peanutbutter oat energy balls.