Having a down day...how do YOU push through?

Options
Hey MFP'ers!

I recently restarted my healthier lifestyle (for the 100th time :smile:) and find that I'm having a bit more of an emotional struggle than I have previously. I find that this has been more of an emotional journey now that I don't have the comfort of reaching for food which I have done pretty much all my life. I know it's a long journey and this is only a part of it. I have tried redirecting my thoughts by working out/going for a walk or taking a short power nap which is a healthier alternative than reaching for a bag of chips or cookies. At any rate, just wondering if anyone else is going through this as well? What other things do you do to distract yourself? Do you have any tips?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I make myself a cup of tea.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I read a good book and have some of my favorite tea... :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Typically, when the crap hits the fan and the going gets rough, I ask myself if I want to eat because I'm hungry or do I want to eat/drink because I'm upset/angry/discouraged/p'd off, etc. I think about when the last time I ate something was and if I'm thirsty. Will I want to not have something later, if I dive into an unplanned glass of wine/beer or a doughnut now. Is it worth not reaching my goal or feeling like I'm taking a step back? What's more important, the cake or my pants fitting?

If after all that, I really still want the "item" I fit it in. I'll do more exercise, I'll not eat something later.

To distract myself I typically leave the area that has the food. Be it the kitchen, the break room at work, etc. I find playing video games on my tablet or watching Netflix helps because I can't hold the tablet and eat at the same time. I've also heard of people taking up knitting/crocheting/etc. Something to keep your hands busy.
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's from being indoors more during the winter or just being so stressed at work lately, but the past two months have been much harder for me to stay focused and healthy! I've felt more susceptible to cravings, and then, consequently feeling guilty about indulging too much, followed by feeling helpless.

I'm really trying to focus now. I'm trying to take it one day at a time, be better about logging in throughout the day, and making good decisions. I have set a mini-goal for the end of march, to get lose 4 lbs.

I can do it...and so can you!!
  • loisdowner91
    loisdowner91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have come to the 'community' part of my fitness pal. I am also starting my new healthier life this week for the100th time! It is very hard to keep motivated but I have written myself a healthy eating plan so I can plan meals now which I think is helping!

I have a problem though and I don't know if anybody has any suggestions - I tend to snack on fruit throughout the day as it is easy, but I am aware that fruit is full of sugar. Beings though I have given up the cakes and chocolates (the bad sugars) is it ok to overload a lil on good sugars? Any ideas for low sugar fruits or just alternative healthy snacks?

Thank you x :)

Come on guys we can do anything we put our minds to!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I go for a run, do yoga, or take hot a bath to just relax.

• craftylikeafox
    craftylikeafox Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have a problem though and I don't know if anybody has any suggestions - I tend to snack on fruit throughout the day as it is easy, but I am aware that fruit is full of sugar. Beings though I have given up the cakes and chocolates (the bad sugars) is it ok to overload a lil on good sugars? Any ideas for low sugar fruits or just alternative healthy snacks?

Thank you x :)

Come on guys we can do anything we put our minds to!

Hey Lois - nuts and seeds are great snacks since they're really filling and there's a huuuge variety, as well as high (good) carb veggies :)
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the awesome ideas and support. It's comforting knowing that I'm not alone in this and that we all struggle with this at times. I think I'm hardest on myself so that's a huge part of it.
  • Wrenchvc
    Wrenchvc Posts: 1
    Options
    First time posting,
    I'm a bad stress eater, and have to lose weight to fit into my dream wedding dress. My wedding is in August and planning a wedding is stressful and to top it off; I've taking on more at work. I eat good for a while but then I break down and binge eat on sweets and junk food. How do you guys stay on track in stressful moments? :\
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Sugar is sugar. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid it, eat all the sugars in whatever forms you want - just fit it into your goals!

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Aren't you doing Whole 30 for health reasons? PCOS? Maybe it isn't what you need to do right now. Maybe find another low carb option with more food choices that you love. Maybe try taking baby steps with it instead of going in all at once.

Remember why you are doing this!
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Aren't you doing Whole 30 for health reasons? PCOS? Maybe it isn't what you need to do right now. Maybe find another low carb option with more food choices that you love. Maybe try taking baby steps with it instead of going in all at once.

Remember why you are doing this!

Thanks Kyla. Yes I opted against doing the Whole 30. It was too limiting for what I need to do right now. It did make me better at reading labels which is a step in the right direction. Currently just trying to do less carbs, higher protein and higher fat per the recommendations of my trainer.