Appetite Suppressant - Pills

Options
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an OTC appetite suppressant? I know a few women that go to the doctor and get prescriptions for stimulants and water pills, but I don't want to spend that much money (doctors visits, shots, prescriptions, etc).

I'm using TriAdelean right now, but it's not doing much in the way of appetite suppression. Have you had any luck with OTC appetite suppressants?

Thanks!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to get much love on the pill front here.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Just eat enough fat and protein to satiate you in your daily calorie allotment?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    OTC pills typically don't work, and some can even be dangerous to your health.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have tried many in the past and they were all a waste of money. I never saw any difference at all, except maybe for the first day or two. Not worth it, IMO. What is worth it is lifting weights and running (again IMO... I know some hate cardio, but I enjoy it within reason), so you can eat more and don't have to suppress your appetite, but can instead rejoice in it.

If you really have a medical issue that you need appetite suppressants for, then you should see that doctor - otherwise, move more and have fun doing it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say (I've been in your shoes before, as most of us have)...
    Just curious what the plan is after you stop the appetite suppressants? Phentermine is controlled by a physician with a very strict diet plan only lasting a few weeks. Why not try to eat healthy, weigh your foods, drink more water and exercise? Also be patient. 1-2 pounds a week is healthy weight loss. You didn't gain everything overnight and appetite suppressants aren't going to cause you to lose it overnight either.
  • StephMDtoo
    StephMDtoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try other methods for a few weeks and see how you feel once your body adjusts to the new habits. If you need a snack, fresh fruit, whole grain crackers with cheese, a small handful of raw nuts, ect, are all good, healthy options to calm down cravings.

Take a look at what your eating, too. Are you getting protein, good fats, and fiber each meal? Those are really the key to satiation. And don't underestimate the impact of water. Drink a couple of glasses between meals, you can even add flavoring to help satisfy cravings. But yeah, most diet and appetite suppression pills are bogus unless it's prescribed b a doc and they should only be taken by people with conditions who need them.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's no pill for that can replace personal accountability. Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that. Step up to the plate, motivate yourself and do it the right way. Then, you can own and enjoy your success.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend to stay away from the pills and just eat more protein or/and fat. If you are a volume eater, bulk up your meals with lots of vegetables. And make sure you drink enough water.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pharmacist here, and no, I do not have any recommendations for appetite suppressants.
    This is what works for me. Avoiding a low fat diet is what helps me control my appetite. I have a 1200 calorie daily goal, and I'm rarely hungry. I owe a lot of that to eating enough fat. I used to think I needed to eat low fat everything (thanks 1980's), and I was so hungry and miserable all the time. Much happier now, and much more successful at losing weight.

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For starters, it's okay to have an appetite and feel hungry. Embrace feeling hungry, because it is your body's way of telling you it's time to eat. Just because you feel a twinge of hunger doesn't mean you have to jump up and eat. Learn that first.

Next, remember to drink as much water as you want. By ensuring you are well-hydrated you can help curb any mixed signals your body is sending you.

Third, you might benefit from breaking up meals into a "grazing" type routine, if you're able to. If you eat 3 bigger meals a day, but feel ravenous in between the meals, try have 4 or 5 meals instead, but smaller. So if you'd usually have rice, chicken, broccoli, and fruit for lunch and then feel like you're starving at dinner, save the broccoli and fruit and eat it a few hours later. No extra calories, but also no need to feel like you're going to eat your arm off. I know not everyone can do that because of work or life schedules, but it can be helpful if you're able to do it.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to help control your willpower with the late-night snacking or overeating or another reasonable lifestyle change, go for a natural aide like a few drops of grapefruit or peppermint essential oils (make sure they're food grade). It will help quiet your "must snack on all things" demons, without dangerous side effects or making you skip entire meals (which certainly won't help you lose weight in the long run).

OTC and Rx supplements are notoriously dangerous or just flat-out fake. Don't waste your time, money, or worse, risk your health.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Pharmacist here, and no, I do not have any recommendations for appetite suppressants.
    This is what works for me. Avoiding a low fat diet is what helps me control my appetite. I have a 1200 calorie daily goal, and I'm rarely hungry. I owe a lot of that to eating enough fat. I used to think I needed to eat low fat everything (thanks 1980's), and I was so hungry and miserable all the time. Much happier now, and much more successful at losing weight.
    FYI, 1200 calories is still pretty low.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    FYI, 1200 calories is still pretty low.
    Yep, but I'm small; for my size, age and lifestyle, that's what MFP calculates. And that's with my goal set to lose 0.5 lbs/week. Maintenance for me (per MFP) is 1420 calories/day. I'm not advocating 1200 calories/day for the average (or larger than average) Joe.
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If its not sustainable for the long haul, you shouldn't try it. Taking pills is just a bandaid on the real symptom. To answer your question, I find if I drink a large glass of H2O about 15 min. before I'm about to eat, I eat less. That is my appetite suppressant, and its probably bc I was thirsty anyway. Good luck to you.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At one time, I strongly considered going to my doctor for a prescription appetite suppressant, but before I followed through with it, it occured to me that I didn't get fat because of my appetite. I didn't overeat food because I was hungry. Instead, I had the tendency to binge on candy, cookies and pastries even right after I had eaten a nourishing meal. So I figured an appetite suppressant wouldn't be the thing. But not everyone is like this.

After reading on the forums, I have realized that some people simply experience hunger differently than others. Sort of like some people have different tolerances for pain. So some can just suck it up and tolerate hunger until meal time arrives, and others, not so much.

If you are in the "can't tolerate it" camp, then I think the suggestions of others to experiment with timing of snacks and to try eating more fat and protein and fiber are good ideas. But if hunger is seriously affecting your ability to improve your health, I think seeing your doctor is something to consider. I don't consider it cheating to get help with weight loss, but drugs, even OTC drugs, should not be taken frivolously, as you undoubtedly know.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The OTC stuff does not work. The prescription pills sometimes work. See a doc.
  • PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    busseybl wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for an OTC appetite suppressant? I know a few women that go to the doctor and get prescriptions for stimulants and water pills, but I don't want to spend that much money (doctors visits, shots, prescriptions, etc).

I'm using TriAdelean right now, but it's not doing much in the way of appetite suppression. Have you had any luck with OTC appetite suppressants?

Thanks!

Methinks you're going to find out pretty quickly that you are barking up the wrong tree, coming here to look for recommendations for diet pills (and yes, that IS what you're looking for. You can couch it in whatever politically correct terms you like, but that's what it comes down to.)