am stuck and have not lost weight....not sure what to change, please help

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SunRunTing, thank you for posting that video. I was hoping you'd come along. I hope you don't mind that I've bookmarked it to post it myself.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, you need to reduce calories to 1200
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reiterate how easy it can be to misjudge portion sizes and how much that can affect your calorie total. I recommend weighing out your portions. Here's a video that demonstrates it clearly:

This video is fabulous...
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    SunRunTing, thank you for posting that video. I was hoping you'd come along. I hope you don't mind that I've bookmarked it to post it myself.

No problem. I should probably bookmark it myself. I always have to search for it when I want to post it.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow that video was a real eye opener....
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I had the same problem, you need to reduce calories to 1200

No she doesn't.

• xkirstybx2014
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been using mfp for 4 weeks now and have lost no weight :( I log all food and drink for each day. Eat around 1000 calories and burn off 200 calories every time I exercise which is usually 5 times a week. I weigh my food out and everything. But still no weight lose :( I am beginning to think maybe I should give up.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Wow that video was a real eye opener....

It is also deceptive. They purposefully chose foods that were dense in calories to make it easy to hide calories. Most people who are trying to lose weight know better than to pour a bunch of syrup on their pancake in the morning. If we had made the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it would've been easier to judge how much peanut butter we were using. With less calorie dense foods, there is less chance of error.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I concur with everyone else that's said that once you start weighing your food, you'll likely see a difference. I'd just like to add that for me having no logging days is what I need to do to maintain, rather than lose. Instead, I would recommend that your "cheat" meals be meals that you guesstimate (like that restaurant meal) but still log, knowing it's not perfectly accurate. If you are careful to weigh and measure the rest of the time (and stay within your calorie limits), then a couple of guesstimated meals a week shouldn't keep you from losing, so long as you don't go over your maintenance number for that day.

Finally, there has been some mixed advice on whether you should change what you're eating. Here's my 2 cents:
    1. You don't have to change what you're eating in order to lose, so long as you control how much of it you eat.
    2. However, you will likely feel much more hungry if you're eating low nutrient density foods (like chips and sweets and simple carbs).

Personally, I've found that I'm satisfied on much fewer calories when those calories are primarily natural, whole, high protein, full fat foods (think chicken thighs, eggs, whole fruit, veggies, potatoes, etc.). You can find a balance when you eat primarily those whole foods and then maybe plan for one treat a day (chips, something sweet, etc.). That way, you can enjoy life but not feel as hungry while losing weight.

The most important thing is to commit to logging and to take it one day at a time.

Good luck! :smile:
  • jrieth79
    jrieth79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I hated not being able to log that day and kept thinking about it. I just got on the scale this morning and felt discouraged. of course I'm going to keep trying and have been working hard. I'm new at this and just learning the different sizes of things. I've been using the barcode scan and going by the serving size. I can't wait to be able to weigh the food.
    I've definitely been logging everything. When I do have sweets I log it. I actually don't even like chips so I can't imagine I had any to log. When I do have something chocolate I try to make it a fiber one bar or a protein bar with low calories.
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    There's a couple of reasons why you're not seeing results.. to be blunt, number one, you're eating a lot of processed crap. There's a difference between "healthy" food and real, whole, nutritious, actual food. I've looked through several days. You're starving yourself throughout the day and then eating junk like potato chips (baked doesn't mean they're good for you), brownies, and cookies. Crap food is still crap food.

Second, your macro nutrients are way out of wack. You can go in and adjust it with MFP. You need to drop your carb intake, a lot, and up your protein intake with LEAN proteins. Chicken breast, eggs (mostly egg whites). My plan has me at 1400 calories a day. 140g of protein, 105g carbs, and 47g fats. It takes work to balance your allowed calories and your nutritional goals but it is doable. You best bet is to play around with different meal ideas and then go buy the food. Eating clean and nourishing your body will lend you better results than starving yourself and binging. It's hard to do, trust me i know, i have a weakness for coca-cola, jalapeno cheetos, and peanut m&m's. But it's worth it.

I eat the same thing every day pretty much. There is a lot of chicken breast and veggies in my diet. It can be difficult at times to spend the time weighing everything, or measuring it into cups, half cups etc, and finding ways to eat healthy on the go. But if you stick to it you will lose weight. Also, give yourself a cheat meal once a week. It helps. The sugar cravings suck, I know. But it's like trying to quit smoking. If you feed that habit, it will only be worse. Cut the processed sugars, and foods out and it will get better. Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, and never grocery shop when hungry. Hope this helps!

p.s. exercise is good too.

Ignore this, OP. Eat what you like.

The composition of your diet matters for nutrition and satiety, and if at some point you aren't satisfied with either of those things, then yes, tweaking it will help.

HOWEVER, diet composition is not why you're not losing weight.

Calories are.

No, ignore this.

I understand both sides of the argument with "calories in vs calories out" and putting more weight on diet composition. Either way you see it, it is about balance. I doubt you are on a mission to lose weight just to lose it. It is about being healthy and eat nutrient dense food is how you accomplish that.

Eating cleaner than you have been and counting calories more accurately will absolutely lead to you losing weight more successfully.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    pojinx wrote: »
    There's a couple of reasons why you're not seeing results.. to be blunt, number one, you're eating a lot of processed crap. There's a difference between "healthy" food and real, whole, nutritious, actual food. I've looked through several days. You're starving yourself throughout the day and then eating junk like potato chips (baked doesn't mean they're good for you), brownies, and cookies. Crap food is still crap food.

Second, your macro nutrients are way out of wack. You can go in and adjust it with MFP. You need to drop your carb intake, a lot, and up your protein intake with LEAN proteins. Chicken breast, eggs (mostly egg whites). My plan has me at 1400 calories a day. 140g of protein, 105g carbs, and 47g fats. It takes work to balance your allowed calories and your nutritional goals but it is doable. You best bet is to play around with different meal ideas and then go buy the food. Eating clean and nourishing your body will lend you better results than starving yourself and binging. It's hard to do, trust me i know, i have a weakness for coca-cola, jalapeno cheetos, and peanut m&m's. But it's worth it.

I eat the same thing every day pretty much. There is a lot of chicken breast and veggies in my diet. It can be difficult at times to spend the time weighing everything, or measuring it into cups, half cups etc, and finding ways to eat healthy on the go. But if you stick to it you will lose weight. Also, give yourself a cheat meal once a week. It helps. The sugar cravings suck, I know. But it's like trying to quit smoking. If you feed that habit, it will only be worse. Cut the processed sugars, and foods out and it will get better. Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, and never grocery shop when hungry. Hope this helps!

The composition of your diet matters for nutrition and satiety, and if at some point you aren't satisfied with either of those things, then yes, tweaking it will help.

Calories are.

No, ignore this.

I understand both sides of the argument with "calories in vs calories out" and putting more weight on diet composition. Either way you see it, it is about balance. I doubt you are on a mission to lose weight just to lose it. It is about being healthy and eat nutrient dense food is how you accomplish that.

Eating cleaner than you have been and counting calories more accurately will absolutely lead to you losing weight more successfully.

Nah. I don't agree. There are very good reasons to eat healthy and exercise, but weight loss is determined by calories.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    We don't need to look at your diary. The fact is: You are eating too much.

If you are not losing weight, consistently, over a period of time, then you are eating too much for your desired weight loss.

Eating too much.

Investigation closed, right?

Also, this. So very much this:
    I just wanted to reiterate how easy it can be to misjudge portion sizes and how much that can affect your calorie total. I recommend weighing out your portions. Here's a video that demonstrates it clearly:

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    pojinx wrote: »

Calories are.

No, ignore this.

Nope.

The composition of anyone's diet does not affect weight loss. See the Twinkie diet.

Now, for nutrition and satiety? Yes, it's important to eat nutrient dense food.

She came here looking for reasons why the scale isn't moving. It's not because she's of WHAT she's eating. It's because of how much she's eating. Full stop.

As she progresses, if she feels unsatisfied or hungry, she can change her diet composition.

• katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm going against popular opinion here and saying that it IS what you're eating (or what you're not eating). I see a lot of processed, packaged, high-sodium things that won't matter whether you weigh them on a food scale or not. Eating 98 grams of Dunkin Donuts instead of 101 grams of it isn't going to make or break you. I am not an expert, and I will be the first to admit that I fall flat on my face some days, but I would suggest adding more real foods to your day: a whole-grain bagel at home with a piece of fruit and some protein, a salad with chicken breast; I see you had salmon for dinner one night, which is great for you! Sneak some rice or a veggie into the mix. There may not be a direct correlation to the scale, but I think making smarter choices about what you put into your body has an overall effect of making you feel better and healthier and more confident. And I second someone else's comment above: it helped me significantly to figure out my food first, then start factoring exercise into the equation.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    I'm going against popular opinion here and saying that it IS what you're eating (or what you're not eating). I see a lot of processed, packaged, high-sodium things that won't matter whether you weigh them on a food scale or not. Eating 98 grams of Dunkin Donuts instead of 101 grams of it isn't going to make or break you. I am not an expert, and I will be the first to admit that I fall flat on my face some days, but I would suggest adding more real foods to your day: a whole-grain bagel at home with a piece of fruit and some protein, a salad with chicken breast; I see you had salmon for dinner one night, which is great for you! Sneak some rice or a veggie into the mix. There may not be a direct correlation to the scale, but I think making smarter choices about what you put into your body has an overall effect of making you feel better and healthier and more confident. And I second someone else's comment above: it helped me significantly to figure out my food first, then start factoring exercise into the equation.

You're right. Some of what you say isn't real popular around here. But I agree. In fact, the nature of food is that sometimes 101 grams of donuts has fewer calories than 98 grams. Either one isn't likely to make you feel very good, if you make a steady diet of it. Eating lower sodium food does have an impact on the scale, but if you are exercising, you might need the additional sodium.