food before early am workout?

2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Love the oatmeal in the morning. Goes down easy and doesn't slosh around.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    i run anywhere from 7- 10 miles every morning before work, and always eat breakie and have coffee pre-run. i get up though with at least an hour or so to spare before i embark on my run. i typically have a toasted english muffin and PB, or toasted EM with cream cheese + jelly. i love eating breakie pre-run.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    pippin44 wrote: »
    Just went back to work, and my 9am workout time is gone.
    In order to commit to a consistent work out time, it seems like I will have to go at 6am so I am back to get the kids ready for school, out the door, and to my workstation by 9am.
    So my question is, what do I eat before I work out? Clearly I want something that is 'fast' and light given the time. I try to stay around 1200 calories per day...
    I appreciate suggestions.

My workouts are early, too. My experience indicates that, regardless of what people tell me, it's OK to work out on an empty stomach. However, I don't. I make a cup of coffee, drink a couple of glasses of water, and then take the coffee and a plain banana with me and consume them on my way to the Y. Suits me pretty well; maybe it'll work for you, too.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    I work out first-thing in the morning too. I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. But if I'm planning a particularly long or hard workout, I'll eat a simple carb like half a frozen bagel with some jelly or some Cream of Wheat with a little brown sugar. That way I don't "bonk" midway through the workout. :)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    If I'm getting up early to workout (about 5:30) I don't bother eating before. I do chug some water first though. I am someone who has to eat breakfast, but I can get through a 30 minute cardio workout first thing with no issues.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Something very little for me -- less than 150 cals. A granola bar or small banana :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    My breakfast is kind of in two parts. I usually just have a piece of fruit, or a cereal bar or something before a morning workout, then I have a protein bar, or some yogurt or something after, when I get to work.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    I asked this same question a little while back. The response I got was that if you are doing a hard workout, you might want to eat carbs beforehand to fuel your workout. If you are going in for a quick, easy workout then better to fast & eat afterwards. Another poster suggested eating a high carb meal the night before. Personally I grab a banana and a cup of coffee a little bit before & eat breakfast afterwards.
  • dreamisold
    dreamisold Posts: 3 Member
    Seriously, if you are not living an extremely sedentary lifestyle or are below 4 foot you need way more than 1200 calories a day. I have been there, thinking that minimum is best, but I have realized the hard way that eating more is just essential. It gives you more energy to exercise and just makes you feel so much better (you aren't starving). I don't want to force my view on you but I am concerned for any woman eating so little per day. It just isn't healthy! Every woman who is active and working out should be eating a minimum of 2000 calories a day. I am and am still losing weight (5'2- 105).

As far as food goes, I would recommend a banana or some light piece of fruit as you probably won't be able to stomach much at that time. Trek bars are great as well.
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    If I don't eat before exercising early in the morning, I get very lethargic and my workout suffers. I have a small banana and tablespoon of Greek yoghurt half an hour before and it works well for me!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Some cereal, 1/2 cup fat free milk and a small banana. (Weighed, not logged as a small banana of course.) About 200-250 calories depending on your choice of cereal & size of banana.
    pippin44 wrote: »
    Just went back to work, and my 9am workout time is gone.
    In order to commit to a consistent work out time, it seems like I will have to go at 6am so I am back to get the kids ready for school, out the door, and to my workstation by 9am.
    So my question is, what do I eat before I work out? Clearly I want something that is 'fast' and light given the time. I try to stay around 1200 calories per day...
    I appreciate suggestions.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Smoothie.

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

Lately I also add a tsp of each of the following: Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, Goji powder, Acai powder, Cinnamon , Cacao nibs or cocoa powder, Hemp seeds, Flax seeds (half tsp), Powdered Calcium, Vitamin D – liquid and Maca, along with a choice of either: Beet, carrot, or pomegranate powder, tart cherry

It's quite a drink!

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I get up at 5 am and in the gym by 5:30 am ... most days, I just do my cardio and light weights. On those mornings, I drink a cup of cold coffee with a little coconut creamer and monk fruit sweetener. (I make extra coffee each morning and put the excess in the fridge for the following morning). I then drink some almond milk mixed with my protein powder.

Twice a week, I work with a trainer with weights, etc. after my cardio so on those mornings, I mix my 1/2 a protein powder serving with my cold coffee. I use Dr. Mercola's Pure Protein powder because it has probiotics and chia seed without whey isolates (which mess with my tummy). I find that this gives me enough energy for the weight training. I consume the other half of the protein powder with almond milk afterwards. I don't eat actual food until about 9:30-10 am. I just have never been able to eat very early. I practiced intermittent fasting for years without really realizing it.