Calling All Oatmeal Lovers!

Options

Replies

• gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat quaker instance lower surger oatmeal . the whole pack is 120 calories works for me
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    jeanholly wrote: »
    "If you aren't opposed to trying savory, I am absolutely obsessed with this recipe:
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 serving liquid egg whites
    Onion and Jalapeno diced and sauteed with a smidge of oil
    1 egg (prepped to your preference)"

This sounds delicious. I love my oatmeal savory and I often make it w/ scallions and soy sauce. I know, weird....

I do, too, usually with some mushrooms as well. I do not care for sweet breakfasts. They don't sit well with me.

I tried a curry-seasoned oatmeal and carmelized onion recipe, but I didn't like it as much as the mushroom soy and scallion mixture.

I found another one for oatmeal made with a bit of olive oil, and some shaved Parm on top that I haven't had a chance to try yet. This may be a good alternative to my all time favorite breakfast - cheesy grits.

Glad to see I am not the only one who prefers oatmeal savory!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    abcdef514 wrote: »
    Question for those of you saying you add almond butter or peanut butter: how do you do that (proportions, cooked with milk or water, etc.)? I'm asking because I LOVE peanut butter and I LOVE oatmeal -- I tried them together for the first time the other day and the taste almost made me sick. I'd like to try again, but don't want to just do trial and error -- too afraid of messing it up like last time!!

What made you sick about it?

Personally, I just cook my oats (40g) in water then add 25g of nut butter or so after it's cooked. But I need some kind of sweetener, so I typically add a bit of sugar or some jelly. But I usually use almond butter, not peanut butter... if I want the peanut taste I use PB2.
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hmmm, does everyone use 40 g as a serving?
    I use
    - 50 g rolled oats, soaked in boiling water for 10 mins or in the microwave for 1 minute
    - 50-100 g of sliced banana
    - 20-50 g of frozen raspberries or mixed frozen fruit
    - cinnamon, always, cinnamon
    adds up to 250-300 calories. is that too much? well, it's fitting into my daily calorie intake of 1200 calories for over 2 months, so that's probably an irrelevant question :)
    I really wish we had a healthy peanut butter in the grocery stores, will have to try to seek it out in a speciality store, I suppose, since it sounds an even more yummy combo & this is my fav meal already.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    wick3tgirl wrote: »
    hmmm, does everyone use 40 g as a serving?
    I use
    - 50 g rolled oats, soaked in boiling water for 10 mins or in the microwave for 1 minute
    - 50-100 g of sliced banana
    - 20-50 g of frozen raspberries or mixed frozen fruit
    - cinnamon, always, cinnamon
    adds up to 250-300 calories. is that too much? well, it's fitting into my daily calorie intake of 1200 calories for over 2 months, so that's probably an irrelevant question :)
    I really wish we had a healthy peanut butter in the grocery stores, will have to try to seek it out in a speciality store, I suppose, since it sounds an even more yummy combo & this is my fav meal already.

I use what's on the package for 1/2 cup dry. On Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats, looks like that's 40g in the picture I found on Google.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    what ya'll put in your oats to get them oh so yummy and still keep it on the healthy side. :)
    • Pumpkin pie spice (and pecans)
    • Apples (and pecans)
    • Pecans (and pecans)

Plain oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries. Or 1/8 c of "Central Roast" Woman's Vitality Mix - a blend of nuts and dried fruits and chocolate chips

I make this pretty much everyday and my very fussy 22 year old LOVES it. You can switch up the ingredients and make it however you like.

https://www.facebook.com/organizeyourselfskinny?pnref=story
  • afur73
    afur73 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    in scotland, where i am from, its considered blasphemy to put anything into porridge. i make mine using water, maybe some raisins or mixed berries if i want a bit of sweetness.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    -50g jumbo oat and rye flake mix
    -Almond milk
    -Mashed Banana
    -Raisins

Cooked on the stove, then a serving of Cadburys highlights fudge hot chocolate and some damson jam mixed in.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg and banana or apple and cinnamon - both are beautiful!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipebyphoto.com/2-ingredient-cookies/ oatmeal and bananas and i top each "cookie" with 3 chocolate chips
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the crazy one with: granulated, white sugar. 8 grams per 30 grams of oatmeal and I'm happy.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cups.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    leomom72 wrote: »
    http://www.recipebyphoto.com/2-ingredient-cookies/ oatmeal and bananas and i top each "cookie" with 3 chocolate chips

You just spoon the batter out on a cookie sheet and bake for how long and what degrees?

Thanks I keep seeing the recipe but no baking time :)

• Phillytron
    Phillytron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plain Oatmeal with chia seed, slivered almonds and honey. This is so easy and easy on the stomach. The honey adds a touch of sweetness and the almonds add a great texture.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with flavored, sweetened liquids for extra flavor

Sugarfree cranberry flavored juice is my favorite. I add cinnamon, orange essence, cubed baked apples, craisins, and walnuts.

I'll also make it with diet cream soda, with raisins, banana, and nuts.

I also use other diet sodas; orange, cherry 7up, strawberry, etc, but not as often and the first two.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OK, this post is not for the orthodox oatmeal-and-something-sweet folks.

I'm an oatmeal lover, too. But, sometimes savory is better than sweet! (Collective gasp from the audience!)

I prefer rolled oats to oatmeal; I like the coarse texture.

Try:

Cottage cheese and seasoned salt
    Baked potato style - bacon bits, butter, sour cream or yogurt and shredded cheddar cheese
    Use as a filler for meatloaf
  • GreenMantle
    GreenMantle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats! I do 1/4 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup plain kefir (it's a kind of pourable yogurt if you're not familiar- you can get it anywhere,) 2 tablespoons of sugar free jelly (any kind) and a tablespoon of almond butter. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    leomom72 wrote: »

awww, thanks so much for following up :) Can't wait to try them. I was laughing as I read some of the comments on that site for the cookies. One of the comments shared "We just made and ate our 8th batch...." lol

Hearts <3
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Basic Raw Oats Recipe
    raw-oats.jpg

Soak overnight: equal parts LIQUID and OATS. Put them in the fridge if there’s dairy or something that says to keep cold once opened, like soy milk.

Liquid options: Milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, water, apple juice, and many more I’m sure!

Oat options: Old-fashioned oats, quick oats, and steel cut oats. (although steel cut oats are a little chewy. Maybe if you soak them 24 hours instead of 12 hours they’d get softer)

Mix-in options
    : ENDLESS! honey, cinnamon, & pecans are some of our favorites. You could add ground flax seed, chia seeds, bananas, peaches, raisins, spices, brown sugar, coconut… and more and more.
    We add in our mix-ins the night before – we’ve been adding honey and it soaks into the oats and tastes amazing.

If you find that in the morning, it’s too “not wet” enough, you can add in more liquid right then!
    We put 1/4 cup of regular oats & 1/4 cup of some milkish thing in a mason jar and it’s perfect for us.

http://www.theburlapbag.com/2013/02/basic-raw-oats-recipe/