Confused, need opinions on calorie intake

Options
Hi, this is my first ever post and I need help! I recently was part of a program where I paid a membership in order to get info on calorie intake, clean eating, and workouts. It's been about a year since I began the program and I'd say overall I have been about 80% compliant.

I was given a calorie intake of 1350, I am 5'8 184lbs. I began at 200lbs so I've lost some weight but it's been slow. I was told to eat 1350-1400 and not to make any adjustment based on exercise, just stay at that calorie range.

As I read through the posts here I began to wonder if my calorie intake is too low? I have a job where I sit at a desk all day, however I do take walks and the stairs and I go to the gym about 3-5 times per week and do mostly weight training.

On the weekends I really struggle with being tired....I am much more active on weekends since I'm usually always up and moving whereas during the week I sit a lot more. On the weekend it's to the point where I barely have the energy to carry my body, like walking is even too much. Once I eat I usually get some energy back but I always end up being over the calorie goal.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the calorie intake?

Replies

• gemini568
    gemini568 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, I've stalled on weight loss and in losing inches in the last 3 months or so.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Hi, what does MFP give you as a calorie allowance (with you weekly weight loss set to 1lb per week)? I would think you can probably raise it a bit!. Also, eat back half the cals you burn from exercise :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You may be better off going for a lower deficit (so if you're set to 2 pounds a week, change it to a pound). It'll give you more calories to eat and you should have more energy. Just make sure you're logging everything accurately.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    gemini568 wrote: »
    Also, I've stalled on weight loss and in losing inches in the last 3 months or so.

Okay, first thing, are you weighing and measuring all your food and logging it accurately?

Do you have any known medical conditions?

If you are comfortable changing your diary settings to public, people can take a look and see if there are any red flags that stick out in terms of why you're not losing.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd ask a doctor (your regular doctor, not one trying to sell you something) about your energy issues. You might have something like anemia. 1400 Calories should not make you lethargic to the point you can't move.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Why not start by putting in all your stats etc into MFP and see what calorie goals etc it gives you and if there is a difference to the previous plan.

It sounds as though you have had some success with this membership.....have you been back in contact with them over the concerns you have raised here.

Being tired may mean that you need to increase your calories, particularly protein especially given the amount of exercise you are seeming to get and if you are lifting as well then maybe you just are not fuelling yourself......

Everyone's 'journey' (hate that word but it will do for now) can have lots of ups and downs, weight loss is not linear and patience and persistence win hands down in the long run over waning motivation.

If you continue to feel *unwell, tired or otherwise off* maybe get yourself to the Docs. and get some advice and perhaps testing done just to make sure there is nothing amiss there.

Also MFP has a great base of knowledge that if you use the search button for topics that interest you and inspire you, that is an awesome place to start.

All the best and I hope I have helped in some small way.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ginny92802 wrote: »
    I'd ask a doctor (your regular doctor, not one trying to sell you something) about your energy issues. You might have something like anemia. 1400 Calories should not make you lethargic to the point you can't move.

Excellent point Ginny!! I missed that the energy levels were that bad. Seconding the vote for some blood work.
  • gemini568
    Options
    If I change to 1lb per week Mfp says 1500. Should I be eating excercise calories on top of that? That is what I am concerned about....i made my diary public, I've been hit or miss for awhile so I know I need to get back to being more strict on that.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Ummmm for her height and weight her BMR (meaning the calories needed merely to keep her alive and breathing whilst doing nothing) is 1629! I'd say that 1400 should be making her feel ABSOLUTELY lethargic! During the week when she's sitting at a desk all day and not moving she's not feeling it as badly, but if she moves at all on the weekend, she'll be feeling like crap.

OP - go on over to MFP settings, pick to lose 1lb per week, set yourself to sedintary and eat back at least half of the calories you burn off due to exercise. If you don't want to worry about having to log your activities, then change the setting to lightly active and don't eat back your calories unless you do something over the top big workout caloric burn, then eat back half of that. You should start to see results again and feel infinitely better.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    If I change to 1lb per week Mfp says 1500. Should I be eating excercise calories on top of that? That is what I am concerned about....i made my diary public, I've been hit or miss for awhile so I know I need to get back to being more strict on that.

Okay, my advice. 1) go get some blood tests, because that lack of energy is worrying, 2) eat the 1500 plus half your exercise cals per day, 3) tighten up on your tracking, weigh or measure and log everything that goes in your mouth. Do this for a few weeks and see how you go :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

1500 plus half of your exercise calories.

If the days you do have logged are everything you eat in a day (because I don't see any dinners logged), then it's absolutely not a surprise. You need to nourish your body. On top of that, I would invest in a food scale to ensure that what you're eating is correct (half a banana can easily have a 10-20 calorie range depending on the weight).

For reference, I'm close to your size (5'6" and 187 pounds) and I'm losing about a pound a week on 1600-1900 calories a day.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I second the bloodwork, especially if you are feeling overly tired after exercise.

I know the feeling as I'm chronically anaemic. I'm low on iron, b12 and folate so I know how exhausted you can feel after activity.

You could try to increase your cals for a week or so and see if it helps you get any more energy.

Good luck.
  • gemini568
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i have been contemplating going to my doctor for awhile, I have lost a lot of faith in doctors so I hate going lol. I think it's time!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i have been contemplating going to my doctor for awhile, I have lost a lot of faith in doctors so I hate going lol. I think it's time!

There's a lot of crappy doctors (mostly GPs), just remember they're working for you, if you don't like them, find a new one. See if you can get a thyroid panel as well while you're at it, TSH at the minimum.
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, im looking for friends to help keep me motivated with positive encouragement- all friend requests accepted! And motivation shared back too ☺️