Chia seeds... do they work for weightloss?

Options

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference between chia seeds and flax seeds?

About $6.

Chia seeds, at least here in TN, are about 3 times as expensive as flax. They've got great fiber and protein, but for the taste and the price, no thank you.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed with them, I put them in my oatmeal and yogurt. They are weird to eat and get stuck in my teeth, and they didn't really provide that much in the way of fiber per how many calories they were (which is what I wanted them for)

So people put them in their tea? Does that make it kind of like bubble tea lol
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    They are not for weight loss, but could support a healthy diet is how I view them. They are high in fiber and protein for the quantity. Calorie wise, yes they are high, but a tablespoon will only be about 50 calories. Plus they are rich in omega 3s. I've used them in smoothies and overnight oats. I've mixed them with blended fruits to make "jelly".
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they fill you up, but I mix them with heated wheat bran and water to get my fiber for the day (It tastes kind of like oatmeal). They also have protein, omega 3s, and other beneficial nutrients.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How much is a bag? I don't wanna be out a whole lot of money if I don't like it.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference between chia seeds and flax seeds?

Not much, one gets slimy, the other one doesn't. I use flax for baking, and I accidentally bought what I thought was flax meal on sale, turns out it was flax/chia blend. It makes slimy porridge instead of normal porridge, and it's slightly more filling. Haven't tried it with baking yet, since I have no idea what the chia will do in a cake.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Ive put them in my roasted veggies, meatloaf or when I make Mexican food. I need to get better at it though. I usually get the ground ones.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pros: good fats, almost all fiber, good micros, cheap
    Cons: high calorie (nearly high as nuts), gives some people alot of gas due to the fiber, gets slimely quick
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    TrineX wrote: »
    Chia seeds are usually used for their good properties (like antioxidants), not for the "stomach filling" thing. I use them. I love them. :)

This - really food should be viewed for its nutritional densities and not necessarily it's caloric content. Best example is broccoli - not much in calories but full of nutrients - so you don't need a lot of broccoli to gain the value of the food. Further, it will promote satiety.

Love Chia as well. Use them in my workout smoothies daily - makes them thicker - and their nutritional profile suggests they are the best seed you can eat.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    They only help with temporary weight loss by the way of being high fiber. They also help as a thickener.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    If used them I would want to have them in a shake. Just so they don't taste as bad.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If used them I would want to have them in a shake. Just so they don't taste as bad.

I actually don't think they taste bad at all. Kind of neutral, no strong flavor.

I just stopped eating so many of them because I didn't find them to be worth the calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How much is a bag? I don't wanna be out a whole lot of money if I don't like it.

$30 a kilo (2.2lbs) here. I add a tablespoon in my smoothies everyday, I like their nutritional profile and they thicken up my shakes.
    They don't really taste like anything lol

• MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    They have good micronutrients but they're nothing magical. Caloric deficit is the key to weight loss, no food has magical properties to get rid of fat.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is what I think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY7qQFij_M

Chia seeds are a way to get a little more protein and fiber into your diet, but nothing magical.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    If you add a whole Tablespoon, you rarely actually get that much as a lot of them get stuck between your teeth lol
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i sometimes make a chia seed pudding for a snack or desert.

Sometimes its just chia seeds and almond milk

Other times its mashed banana, Coconut milk

Or cocoa powder

I love the stuff, its like jelly :)

• Christine_72
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    i sometimes make a chia seed pudding for a snack or desert.

Sometimes its just chia seeds and almond milk

Other times its mashed banana, Coconut milk

Or cocoa powder

I love the stuff, its like jelly :)

omg yum! One of these days I'm going to make me a chia pudding.
    I bought one from the grocery store last week and it tasted foul!! :confounded:

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds and eat one tablespoon a day with my Greek yogurt. They don't help you loss weight, though.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use them, i put them in my protein shake after a workout sometimes, they are pretty low cal, no fat and are reported to help keep your guy clean, I can not comment on the claims, but i love them, have they helped me lose weight...NOPE, that would be the calorie deficit i stick to, i dont use them to "fill me up" just for the antioxident properties and to make my shakes thicker. Give them a go, see what you think, but i think in tea they would be pretty slimey!