Popping Knees

Options
from what I know it sounds like I have runners knee or have just overworked my knee and need to rest it.

I want to make sure though and hear others opinions. This never happened to me before till I did a lower body workout last week. It made me knee feel uncomfortable and pop. I was never in much pain and it went away and just felt funny for the rest of the week ( I have been able to run and hike without any discomfort). Although today another lower body workout set it off and I couldn't even run.

Any advice? I also have hyper extended knees and really try not to extend them during my workouts. I think it was to goblet squats that really got me. (I really pay close attention to my form as well)

Replies

• RealMenEatPlants
    Options
    Sounds like you have some torn cartilage. I have the same issue and had surgery to clean up torn Meniscus. :(
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Could be patellar tracking/ patellofemoral pain syndrome. If you hyperextend your knees (genu recurvatum) i would be inclined to think your patella ( kneecap) is also out of place. Hard to tell based off a description alone. But stretching the IT band, hamstrings, quads, etc....and strengthening your booty muscles may help. You may want to look at your footwear, this could be one culprit. If you have a malaligned knee, the position of your foot may also be a factor ( pes Planus/ excessive pronation)
  • DrAJ84
    Options
    A torn meniscus can also having popping noise and be painful. ( Usually also has swelling, locking or catching of the knee). That pain ( from meniscus tears) is more in the joint and patellar pain is more in the front of the knee (as the kneecap rubs the surface of the femur and tibia.)
  • DrAJ84
    Options
    I would of course recommend you see a physical therapist for an assessment. I'm more inclined to think it is patellofemoral syndrome, especially since you are a young female and doing a lot of lower body workouts.
  • cherissepatnode182
    cherissepatnode182 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    DrAJ84 wrote: »
    I would of course recommend you see a physical therapist for an assessment. I'm more inclined to think it is patellofemoral syndrome, especially since you are a young female and doing a lot of lower body workouts.

Thanks for the advice! Does it matter if it's just the one knee?
  • Dadof3bbg2
    Options
    I had meniscus surgery in October...and my knee "pops" a lot
    Do u have pain behind your knee??
  • cherissepatnode182
    cherissepatnode182 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dadof3bbg2 wrote: »
    I had meniscus surgery in October...and my knee "pops" a lot
    Do u have pain behind your knee??

Nope. It's in the front. It doesn't even really hurt it just feels really uncomfortable and feels better when it pops.
  • Dadof3bbg2
    Options
    You may have torn a bit of something and it gets kinda caught
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I'd get it checked out just to be safe.
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I use to play football (soccer) a few years back, I suffered a knee injury. My knee hasn't been the same since then. Sometimes certain types of training causes tremendous pain. I just relax it and put on a knee guard until I can manage it again...

Anyone with better suggestions??
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had the same/similar problem. Believe or not a chiropractor helped. He just re-aligned my knee.