Do you eat your exercise calories back?

Options
Hey all,
My apologies if this has been asked a million times (and I'm sure it has), but I'm wondering how many of you eat your exercise calories back.

Have you had more luck eating them or not eating them? I have my settings on aggressive (2lbs/week) and I've been eating back many of my exercise calories because 1210 calories at 189lbs seems absurd but I'm still at a bit of a standstill.
Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    the response I got when I asked the same thing , was to eat at least half, many people will say don't eat them. I eat half ;)
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back at all, but I'm also not completely accurate when logging (I don't weigh or measure food, for example) so I like to think that the extra exercise calories make up for anything I've underestimated when logging :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat back 100% of my exercise calories, but I'm usually pretty meticulous / anal about my logging. I use a kitchen scale to weigh peanut butter, even. ;)
  • jennyleeb
    jennyleeb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I figured it would be a mixed bag. I'm sure it's different for everyone but I was curious about what was working for people.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    No, but exercise raises my macros, so I do wind up getting to eat a bit more than I would otherwise. If you are hungry, you should eat back some of them.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat mine back. If I didn't (and I've actually tried it, so I know it to be true) my workouts would suffer, I'd feel miserable, and it would be miserable for others to be around me.

If your wondering about progress:
    32374451.png

I aim to lose 1lb per week. Here is a trend chart that I took a screenshot of for someone else who was asking more specific questions about this method.

fyib29ofggdl.jpg
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What's best for me may not be best for you so that's something to keep in mind.

For me, it depends on what I want that day. I'll usually eat at least some back, but if I want a shamrock shake and a cheeseburger and getting them means I eat them all back...I'll eat them all.

If you're hungry, eat back half or so. Don't use the MFP calorie estimation for your workout as it'll probably be wrong. I log my workouts through Runkeeper and just use the number it gives me. Probably still not accurate but it's a little closer as it takes my height and weight into account when estimating.

If you're not hungry, check your net calories. If you're under that 1210, eat enough to get closer to the 1210.

Some food for thought :)

~Lyssa
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat them...sometimes i might on the weekend if I am going out
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day, but sometimes I eat them (if I'm hungry) and other times I don't. I also think your calorie intake is too low. It may sound crazy, but have you tried increasing your food intake a smidge? It will make any healthy changes you make more bearable long term and it may fool your metabolism out of starvation mode? Just a suggestion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Part of them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    It depends on the day, but sometimes I eat them (if I'm hungry) and other times I don't. I also think your calorie intake is too low. It may sound crazy, but have you tried increasing your food intake a smidge? It will make any healthy changes you make more bearable long term and it may fool your metabolism out of starvation mode? Just a suggestion.

NO. One can't "fool your metabolism" and starvation mode doesn't exist!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eat more when I exercise. For me, exercise let's me eat the amount of food I want to eat. I also find that my exercise performance improves when I eat more. I don't look at it some much as eating the calories back. If I were at my goal weight, I would exercise with the intent that I would remain a constant weight. But since I want to lose weight, I subtract from the calories burned by both exercise and normal activities.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    It depends how much I exercise. If I only walk for 30 min ... then no, I wouldn't try to eat those calories back. But if I cycle for 4 hours, I'll probably end up eating about half of those calories back.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hi...yes, this question does come up periodically. :) I don't eat all mine back. Sometimes I eat half back; sometimes none.
  • ChristaLii
    Options
    Before I counted calories I would eat after my workout. When I realize how many calories I intake after my workout I tried to stop eating after. I see it as I "I busted my bottoms trying to workout them calories why would I want them back?". If I MUST eat after a workout I grab something light (fruit, veggies, tea) or drink a whey protein shake made with almond milk.

• runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm feeling hungry. Usually I go for water with lemon and a hot shower.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back as im on 1200cals and i think i'd murder someone if i didn't
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I bank my exercise calories and eat them whenever I want/need (not necessarily the same day as exercise)

OP, how long have you been at a standstill? Do you weigh and measure all your food using a food scale? One can be had for $10-$20
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    jennyleeb wrote: »
    Thanks! I figured it would be a mixed bag. I'm sure it's different for everyone but I was curious about what was working for people.

It shouldn't be a mixed bag - MFP is designed for them to be eaten. It's important to fuel your body - for energy, health, and fat loss and not just weight loss. Most sites use the TDEE method, which accounts for exercise up front. MFP doesn't believe you'll exercise until you tell it you have. But, they both account for exercise and have you eat based on that exercise.

The reason most people will say to eat 50-75% back is to account for inaccuracies - in calorie burn estimations (over) and food logging (over). Some people can eat 100% and lose just fine.

On MFP, exercise does not create your deficit. The calorie goal MFP gives you already has a deficit, if you told it you want to lose weight.

Exercise for health. Healthy calorie deficit for healthy fat/weight loss.