Does it work?

Options
Hi I'm new to MFP, I previously was underweight due to an ED but have gained a lot back... A LOT
I'm starting this tomorrow and for an idea I put in exactly what I plan to eat and exactly how much I plan on working out, it says if everyday were like today I'd lose 15 lbs in 5 weeks, I just want to know has anyones prediction come through after to sticking to the plan?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you have 8 pounds to lose, that is not A LOT, and not sure why you would want to eat so little that you would lose 15 pounds in 5 weeks, an unsafe rate for anyone who is not obese.

It sounds like you are still struggling with your eating disorder, and should probably have your diet monitored by a professional, if you do actually need to lose weight.
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    Well I put in sample diet of my food which came to about 900 kcals and burning about 400 kcals, I am struggling with it greatly but unfortunately I have to wait months to be an inpatient
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you not use MFP and rather get help asap, eating 900 calories and burning 400 is STILL signs of an ED....
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. If you're only planning on eating 900 calories and burning 400 of those, that would only be 500 calories for the day. You should be eating at least 1200. I'm actually surprised MFP didn't give you a warning that your calories are too low. It sounds like you may need to seek further treatment from a counselor. Not trying to be rude, but it still sounds like you have a distorted view of what and how much you should be eating.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eating only 1000 calories a day with a history of an ED is a very bad idea!
    5nj6mbbkzgv4.jpeg
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    If I'm honest I feel helpless because I want to lose weight and the only way I know how is by experience of eating low amounts of calories daily
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest I feel helpless because I want to lose weight and the only way I know how is by experience of eating low amounts of calories daily

You need to talk to your therapist, they can help you.
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    I'm seeing help already in the matter but because of the health system I have to wait until July to be an inpatient
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I know MFP has some links for ED help, maybe someone could post them?

In the meantime, seek outpatient help. If you have an ED, you probably don't actually need to lose 8 pounds, and if you do lose them, they still won't be enough to satisfy the ED
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    I know it sounds naive but I do need to lose weight I've taken advantage of the fact that I needed to gain weight for far too long now
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    There is much sensible advice on these boards, not to substitute for professional support but to augment it. Read the "pinned" threads, e.g. your path to sexypants. Most will start by emphasizing how terribly important it is to start with a realistic, healthy, and sustainable caloric goal. Without that, too many things can go wrong--feeling low energy or depressed or hangry, increasing binge likelihood, losing lean body mass (LBM), throwing hormones out of balance, etc.

The accurate calorie counting method used by many on MFP works, but it is not a fit for everyone, e.g. some recovering from ED's. Regardless, 15lb in 5 weeks is a red flag for anyone with less than 75 lb to lose. Maintaining your current weight might be a more appropriate goal until you get the professional support you need.