healthiest way to cook chicken breast

Options
2»

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    my new way of cooking chicken is in the broiler. i buy the boneless skinless chicken breast that are sliced thin for minimal prep. i season salt, pepper, garlic powder. and broil 3 minutes each side. tastes like its from the grill!

if you don't have thin sliced breasts you could butterfly full ones or pound them out thin between two pieces of saran wrap.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider as healthy. But anyway. Here are my methods.

I grill them and place them on a salad.

I cook them in a non-stick pan (no oil needed) with spices or jarred pasta sauces, choose a brand that meets your nutritional expectations (my favourite is roasted vegetable sauce) and then I melt 30grams of cheese over.

Or I steam them, and shred them, mix it with some homemade chutney/salsa, and eat it on 1 slice of wholewheat bread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    "Healthy" is a relative term. A very low fat diet is unhealthy. But a diet too high in calories is also unhealthy. So what is your objective?

who knows…this OP is always posting.."is this bad" "is this good" …it is really tiresome...
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken breast, regular or tenderloins with some Mrs. Dash seasoning on the grill is how I cook mine. Real good! Sometimes when I run out of propane I throw it in a pan on the stove and add a splash of water when it looks a little dry. But keeping a lid on the pan keeps the moisture in there nicely. I try avoided oils and stuff as much as possible, healthy or not, that's just me lol. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cook them how you want and make sure that they fit into your calorie/macro/micor targets for the day.

end thread/
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bake them with a seasoning..
  • getupandgo877
    getupandgo877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's very good in the crockpot with other ingredients. Skinnytaste.com has a recipe called santa fe chicken. I eat it on it's own, but you can serve it over rice, lettuce, in tortillas, etc. Low calories, freezes well. Gotbthebrecipe from MFP.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    I recently started "oven poaching". It's really easy and the chicken comes out very moist.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Spray baking pan and one side of parchement paper with cooking spray
    Season chicken with salt and pepper
    Lay chicken in pan, cover with parchement paper (sprayed side down and tucked into dish)
    cook 30-40 minutes or until 165 degrees.

Pretty easy!

Poaching requires submerging in liquid. This would approximate braising.
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i like boiled chicken. it kinda dries out once its cooled off, but when its still hot its really good.
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Fat is good for you. I fry my chicken in a big pot of oil and then I toss it in butter, garlic and parmesan cheese yummm!! Not harming me at all.

Roast it, pan fry it, bake it, broil it, grill it.....

They're asking the healthiest way not the most tasteful way lol. Tossing it in oil and than butter. Omg!! Lol

• OBXgirl130
    OBXgirl130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Boil it until it's falling off the bone and then dip in your favorite sauce . Yuuuumm.
  • OBXgirl130
    OBXgirl130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OBXgirl130 wrote: »
    Boil it until it's falling off the bone and then dip in your favorite sauce . Yuuuumm.

Oh wait! You said "boneless" chicken breast. With those I like to cut them up and sauté them with some onions and peppers.

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    I recently started "oven poaching". It's really easy and the chicken comes out very moist.
    Lay chicken in pan, cover with parchement paper (sprayed side down and tucked into dish)

Pretty easy!

It's actually a real thing.. oven poaching= dry poaching. It is cooking in it's own fat and the spray...
    http://www.thekitchn.com/basic-technique-dry-poaching-81609

ETA add link
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »

Pretty easy!

It's actually a real thing.. oven poaching= dry poaching. It is cooking in it's own fat and the spray...
    http://www.thekitchn.com/basic-technique-dry-poaching-81609

ETA add link

From your link, "dry poaching is like a cross between braising and roasting." But this statement shows that they do not know what they are talking about. Braising is frequently done in an oven--AKA roasting. Braising is a technique that will cook something in a minimal amount of liquid (even just the liquid given off by the item being cooked. Approximates steaming but this is not fully correct). This requires sealing the item to be cooked in a suitable container and allowing the moisture to remain inside, both forming steam and condensing back to a liquid all at once. I still say this is not poaching, and there is no such thing as dry poaching. There is braising and you can do that on a stove top or in an oven. It is definitely a technique that every home cook should learn, and I highly recommend Molly Stevens' "All About Braising". It will open up a whole word of food for most people. I loved the braised cabbage dish.

Again, poaching requires full submersion in a liquid. Regardless of the blog post.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Fat is good for you. I fry my chicken in a big pot of oil and then I toss it in butter, garlic and parmesan cheese yummm!! Not harming me at all.

Roast it, pan fry it, bake it, broil it, grill it.....

They're asking the healthiest way not the most tasteful way lol. Tossing it in oil and than butter. Omg!! Lol
    Hmmm I kinda told her to roast it, pan fry it, bake it, broil it, grill it....All healthy ways.

The bolded is what I said I do...There isn't anything unhealthy about oil and butter.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Olive oil isn't bad for you. Your body needs fat. Its higher in calories, that's all. Unless your pouring half the bottle in the pot to cook your chicken, you'll be fine. I use olive oil or coconut oil every day.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This argument gets so old and assinine. You know exactly what the OP means when they say healthy, which is lower calorie. We know you guys will argue endlessly that anything can be healthy in moderation, IIFYM, if it fits your goals, that everyone's goals are different, etc. Just... do you have to repeat yourself so much?
  • Sarah72936
    Sarah72936 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891

This is the easiest and least stressful for me. I used to always over cook chicken before following this method, and I rarely cooked it because of that. Now I cook it all the time this way and it is so hassle-free. Perfect for a busy lifestyle IMO!