So...what new things are you learning?

Options

Replies

• piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I learned that looking fabulous in that little black dress feels way better than the taste of an extra piece of cake.

Here, Here!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've learned to log even my bad days. Looking at them hurts but at the same time it's something that shows me what I need to work on.
  • kcaitbpaitw
    kcaitbpaitw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've learned that it doesn't have to be all or nothing: if I am not tracking on a certain day, it doesn't mean it has to be a free-for-all. It helped me during a period where I didn't have it in me to log over a 2 month period, no weight gain. Before I started logging on MFP a year ago, if I wasn't losing I was gaining. Period.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That I can cook!

That healthy food doesn't have to be boring or low-fat.

That I can be satisfied with what I need.

That I don't have to do boring and exhausting exercise to get and stay reasonably slim/fit.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I learned that I can eat a lot of chocolate and still lose weight. If I workout then I can use those extra calories on treats, eat good, nutritious food the rest of the time, and see my scale go down. I always thought dieting meant starving so I never bothered trying. Now that I'm doing it... I see that you can eat well and don't have to feel deprived. It also means that I'm in the gym/pool a lot so I can keep enjoying creme eggs. :)
  • tmorm
    tmorm Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That proper portion sizes are nowhere near as big as what I have always had!! I have also learnt that I don't have to ban any foods from my diet in order to lose weight, as long as it is in moderation and I stay within my kj limit, I can still have chocolate and ice-cream. I find I have broken the cycle of craving/bingeing/guilt this way. Weight loss is not about starving myself on a severely restrictive diet in order to lose a few kilos that only get put back on (with extra) when I fail because I am hungry and craving. I am learning about different foods to replace others with in order to keep my meals low-kj, yet still filling. Loving it!! Basically my whole outlook on food, my body, and the way I eat is changing. I feel that this journey is setting me up to take care of myself for the rest of my life, not just the amount of time it takes me to lose the weight I want to drop. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That most restaurant food isn't worth it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That accepting middle age was stupid

That I can look fabulous in the little black dress AND eat the cake

That actually yes I do enjoy working out ...a helluva lot!

That I can load more weights than the snotty nosed teenager who was strutting around doing his "look at me" loud-assed walk ..and that doing so I can also keep a straight face
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my hunger is satisfied relatively easily. I don't need to stuff myself... Feeling full isn't a good feeling for me anymore.
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's lots of great stuff here. I also learned I can eat foods I truly love and don't have to give up too much. My calorie goal is generally enough to satisfy me. I can have a huge salad for dinner with some smoked chicken and be totally happy with it!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My wife made oreo cupcakes that had oreos stuffed in the middle for a family that is going through a hard time. Oreos are my absolute weakness. She said I could have one. No way it was going to fit into my calories but I was able to take one bite enjoy it and be satisfied. Lesson learned no need to stuff my face to enjoy something.
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Salads can actually taste really, really great without fattening dressing. It was like a whole new world opened up when I found that out. :D
  • clark59j_99
    clark59j_99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've learned that when you eat healthy you can eat a lot more. I actually come in way below my goal even without the added calories for my workouts.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of mean people.

CICO only works for a very few select individuals and the rest of us have special snowflake metabolisms.

A cleanse only works if it includes cayenne.

Sugar is the devil.

I look awesome in a little black dress.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    That training in a deficit is *seriously* pushing out my Bonk Line - the mileage where a distance runner "hits The Wall", as they say.

By training with low/already-depleted glycogen tanks, all systems are learning how to better handle the changeover to shutdown/survival at The Wall.

It does make long runs, however, horrible. It's terrible *starting* a run already Bonked... but in this case, pain==gain.

I normally Bonk between mile 19 and 20, making the last 10k horrible. I might just be able to (for the first time) push it out past mile 26 and run my first Bonk Free Marathon this fall. I could shave 20 minutes off my PR from that alone.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MFP is full of mean people.

CICO only works for a very few select individuals and the rest of us have special snowflake metabolisms.

A cleanse only works if it includes cayenne.

Sugar is the devil.

I look awesome in a little black dress.

This Bro is soooooo right, on all counts, right?

• KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how goooooood it feels to eat consistently. Haha I struggled with that one for a long time.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also that I'm a surprisingly good/creative cook!
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that I feel so much better when I'm eating the right things and while I haven't seen a drastic drop on the scale yet (only a couple weeks in...), feel better is incredible. I have a set sleep schedule and wake up without being exhausted. Also, I eat when I'm hungry now and because my body needs fuel not because I'm bored/sad/happy/angry/etc.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I learned that my kitchen acually works and it's not so hard and time consuming to prepare meals at home. (And that my husband is very tolerant.)

Down side...I have to clean in there now, instead of just dusting.