Any luck with the DASH Diet?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I followed the diabetic guidelines for portions for years, which is very much like the DASH diet. It's healthy, it's balanced. It's good for you.

To lose weight, I portion out like a diabetic/DASH, but cut the calories a bit. Snacks went from 200 cals to 100 cals for instance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    DASH is basically an update of the food pyramid rebranded under a snappy new name. It's not a fad diet; it's basically about getting your balanced servings in from the various food groups.

Seems reasonable enough (although I have my issues with the pyramid), but WHY do people have to follow some named diet? Why not just follow the pyramid or my plate or figure out what you (not you!) think is healthy and balanced. I SO don't understand it. Seems so weird to want to follow some special diet.
    I'd assume they want more guidance? Suggested meals etc.? I know when I started learning how to eat right, having a bit more guidance would have been helpful. But it was my first time trying anything other than what I'd been doing and didn't have any idea what I was doing.

I guess it's just personality differences, but it seems really weird to me to want someone else telling you how to eat. I think people make it way too complicated and then think you need a PhD to figure out what's mostly pretty simple or common sense. I mean the basics are things that everyone already knows. It just seems to be that eating vegetables and getting in some protein is super boring, but going on a special shiny new diet with a NAME and buying special foods from a list and tossing all your old stuff seems more exciting or something than going to the store and buying the fruits and veggies and meats that seem appealing, like regular folks do. Or so it seems.

I was being kind of grumpy yesterday, but for some reason the idea that you need a special diet (unless you actually do, like DASH was intended, I suppose) really rubs me the wrong way. (Although to be fair DASH is not much of an offender. I just think the good bits are basic common sense that people know anyway, and that meal plans are silly.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    DASH is basically an update of the food pyramid rebranded under a snappy new name. It's not a fad diet; it's basically about getting your balanced servings in from the various food groups.

Seems reasonable enough (although I have my issues with the pyramid), but WHY do people have to follow some named diet? Why not just follow the pyramid or my plate or figure out what you (not you!) think is healthy and balanced. I SO don't understand it. Seems so weird to want to follow some special diet.

Yeah, I'm with you. Personally I hate the idea of being told what to eat. But people who want something more structured could do a lot worse.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I did the "DINE & DASH" when I was younger.
    Burned a lot of calories gettin the heck out of there............

LOL!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Why do all the fat people call all the diets lame. Is like doing so makes them so cool and not fat.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    From what I've read about it, it looks very balanced and a good common-sense approach to healthy eating and weight loss. I prefer a "named" diet or a book or program because I get lost when there are too MANY choices and a free for all. I am currently working through the Mayo Clinic diet book (which was ranked right under the Mayo Clinic) and has also been around forever. I like that it takes you through stages of changing habits that really undermine a person's ability to reduce calories. Sometimes just saying "eat less, move more" isn't enough. I tend to overanalyze things so maybe that's why I'm drawn to it. We'll see how it goes!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    From what I've read about it, it looks very balanced and a good common-sense approach to healthy eating and weight loss.

Seems like it, although probably with some specific things related to its derivation (like no salt and someone said low fat) that I wouldn't find necessary or helpful (apparently the website doesn't get details so you will buy the book). That's actually what I find mind-boggling, though--do people really need a book to tell them to eat vegetables and add protein to their meals? It is common sense. I think named diets are all just ways to convince yourself you are doing something beyond the boring stuff everyone knows they should do.

But if it works for you, that's great.

I overanalyze my own diet from time to time, but that's why I can't understand why someone would want to follow a preset plan. None of my business, though, really. ;-) Like I said, I was just kind of grumpy yesterday.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    At the risk of having a ton of judgmental comments rain down on me, we're doing the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension) Diet because my husband's doctor recommended it to him. I'm participating partly in a show of support and partly out of self-preservation.

The doctor recommended DASH because my husband's blood pressure is high due to a congenital health issue. He needs to keep his blood pressure low and was having trouble controlling it. A few days into the DASH diet, his blood pressure was TOO low and he needed adjustment to his medication. Now his blood pressure is controlled with half as much medication and at a much more desirable level.

There is plenty of free information available for those who can and want to set it up themselves.

We bought the books and are following the menus because I have neither the time nor the inclination to put that much thought into meal planning. Perhaps to some on this board that just sounds horribly lazy and lacking in common sense. It works for us. I prefer to spend my time on other things. Like working out.

In the past I've had success with weighing, measuring, and tracking. However, my husband, who would deny it vehemently, is an expert saboteur. And because of our work schedules he does most of the cooking and menu planning in our home. Since his doctor recommended this, he will follow it. He lost 17 pounds in two weeks and now excludes processed meat from the menu. For years I've tried convincing him to exclude it and he didn't listen. Now it's not part of DASH, so it's off. That's just one example.

Honestly, the comments here that say it's a balanced diet are spot-on. I find that the book calls for a bit more processed food and more dairy than I'd care to include in my diet, but that's probably what makes it practical and palatable to the vast majority of the population. I lost 6 pounds in two weeks after months of no success.

My two cents. YMMV.
  • aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I bought the DASH book and even though I am counting calories and trying to eat right, I do not have a thyroid and am on synthetic thyroid and sometimes you need a little something more to help you lose.
  • Really just eat a balanced diet of natural food, mostly plants. One thing I don't like about DASH is the high amount of carbs, which is not conducive to weight loss that a lot of people on the diet need (maybe minor weight loss).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Really just eat a balanced diet of natural food, mostly plants. One thing I don't like about DASH is the high amount of carbs, which is not conducive to weight loss that a lot of people on the diet need (maybe minor weight loss).

You can lose weight eating lots of carbs. Most of my nutrition is carbs. Carbs have nothing to do with weightloss.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    I just started the Dash diet 3 days ago It is clean eating and portion controlled. I like it because left to my own devices, I eat terribly and know that I am missing important nutrition. This forces me to make sure I am getting all the necessary food groups and a good amount of them. It can be altered to fit each calorie intake.
  • mossyoakcwgrl
    mossyoakcwgrl Posts: 21 Member
    Hello! New here, but just wanted to add that I started DASH for weight loss phase 1 yesterday and so far I'm liking it. I'm used to eating 2 large meals and it has been an adjustment to eat 3 moderate meals and 2 snacks. I fill my plate with colorful veggies and then use portion control for my protein. I'm a nurse and I'm about to work my 3 days in a row, but I'll try to remember to check in.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    One of my friend's M.D. put her on it in January for hypertension and post cancer treatment reasons. She's 53 and told me earlier this week she has lost 19.5 lbs and all her blood work and BP ratings were super at her appointment this week.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I was told to go on this diet by my doctor. I did not, because as others have mentioned, I don't like people telling me what to eat. But a couple of stories here are making me re-think it. Not as much for the weight loss, but I'd really like to get off my blood pressure meds.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    With the DASH diet is the food choices or the weight loss supposed to lower your blood pressure?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    With the DASH diet is the food choices or the weight loss supposed to lower your blood pressure?

My understanding is that it's the food choices, and that they found that people lost weight on the program as well. Probably not everyone with hypertension needs to lose weight. My mother lost a ton of weight and reached a normal BMI and her blood pressure didn't go down.

• LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    maidentl wrote: »

My understanding is that it's the food choices, and that they found that people lost weight on the program as well. Probably not everyone with hypertension needs to lose weight. My mother lost a ton of weight and reached a normal BMI and her blood pressure didn't go down.

Thanks. I have 2 friends who take HBP meds but don't need to lose weight. They are both in shape and ideal body weight and seem to eat well. But there are a number of factors for HBP, including stress and age.

I am really hoping mine goes down as I lose weight.

• mossyoakcwgrl
    mossyoakcwgrl Posts: 21 Member
    I've been on the DASH diet for weight loss for one week and have lost 7.2 pounds. I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale. I have more energy and my systolic and diastolic blood pressure has already decreased 5 mmHg. I have one more week of phase 1 and then I add fruits and whole grains