Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Seriously... why am I so hungry?

I am 5'4-125lbs. My day so far

1 medium banana
2 oranges
2 rice cakes
1 lean pocket

when I get home I will eat dinner with my kids. I haven't planned what yet.

I am now eating more Consistently then I ever have. But I am STARVING! All day my stomach is growling and I can't seem to stay full longer then 10 minutes! What am I doing wrong?

To add... I have a heart condition that is currently preventing me from doing Cardio. I am doing some strength training.

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Because all you've eaten is carbs. Try adding some fat and protein.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Yeah, I'm going to have to second the comment about carbs. Nothing wrong with carbs, but you will feel full for longer if you have more balanced meals. Fat and protein take longer to digest than carbs do, leaving you feeling full for longer.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    I wouldn't feel very full either when a majority of your calories are coming from carbs. I doubt there is little protein or fat in that lean pocket. Eat those rice cakes with peanut butter. Add a salad with dressing and cheese with lunch.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Eat PROTEIN! Nuts, eggs, meat, milk, cheese...
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Mistizoom wrote: »

Any suggestions on what kinds of foods I should be eating?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Cause you have eaten almost nothing of substance.....A grown woman is not suppose to eat only about 500 calories all day long...... Eat more, and eat actual food with fat and protein and carbs....
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    ^ This. Is that all you are eating every day? That can't be more than 500/600 calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Your choices don't seem like foods that would stay with you too long ... maybe some eggs, oatmeal, nuts, lunchmeat fit in there somewhere (not all at once or even all in one day) ... I usually have about 500 calories left by 5 p.m. for dinner - I snack all day. I do run every day though which gives me back 300-400 calories, if I need them. Hunger is a bad thing - it leads to poor choices, so avoid feeling hungry, if you can. I am hungry just looking at your list - not enough food imho.
  • libby328
    astrampe wrote: »
    Cause you have eaten almost nothing of substance.....A grown woman is not suppose to eat only about 500 calories all day long...... Eat more, and eat actual food with fat and protein and carbs....

No, This is breakfast, lunch and snack, I will also have some cheese around 3pm. and when I get home dinner with my kids.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    libby328 wrote: »

Meat
    Dairy products, especially full fat (cheese, yogurt, etc.)
    Healthy fats including but not limited to butter, olive oil, coconut oil
    Nuts and nut butters
    Eggs
    Non-starchy vegetables cooked in one of the above healthy fats and/or served with butter
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

1 medium banana
    2 oranges
    2 rice cakes
    1 lean pocket

I am now eating more Consistently then I ever have. But I am STARVING! All day my stomach is growling and I can't seem to stay full longer then 10 minutes! What am I doing wrong?

To add... I have a heart condition that is currently preventing me from doing Cardio. I am doing some strength training.

Is this breakfast and lunch or just one meal?

I personally find that much fruit early in the day does make me feel hungry unless I eat it with protein (not everyone's experience, but it is mine). You might want to experiment with foods that give you a great sense of saiety. I often have soup for breakfast, for example. Protein and vegetables in broth help me feel full for the whole morning. I like to include high fiber vegetables with lunch (and some fruit).

These aren't rules, you can experiment with what helps you feel fullest. You've had (by my rough estimate) about 559 calories so far. I've had about that amount too and I haven't been hungry at all (Breakfast: V8 and corn chowder; Lunch: Blackberries and asparagus/sweet potato curry).

Weight loss is a matter of calories in and calories out, but you should experiment to find the foods that make you feel most satisfied within your calorie deficit.
  • libby328
    My habits change weekly. I will go shopping on Sundays and plan my work week meals. Last week I ate loads of veggies with dressing and salads with chicken and nuts. I am finding it impossible to not go over on sugar intake tho.
  • diannethegeek

Some of my go-to foods are Greek yogurt, eggs, meat, cheese, veggies (I tend to cook mine in a little oil to get some fat), nuts, milk. Get rid of the "diet food" mentality and start eating some of the things you were eating before in portions that fit in your calorie and nutrition goals.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My habits change weekly. I will go shopping on Sundays and plan my work week meals. Last week I ate loads of veggies with dressing and salads with chicken and nuts. I am finding it impossible to not go over on sugar intake tho.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar, you don't have to stay within the limit. I don't pay much attention to the sugar -- some days I am over, some I am under. I am losing weight consistently.
  • libby328

1 medium banana
    2 oranges
    2 rice cakes
    1 lean pocket

Is this breakfast and lunch or just one meal?

I personally find that much fruit early in the day does make me feel hungry unless I eat it with protein (not everyone's experience, but it is mine). You might want to experiment with foods that give you a great sense of saiety. I often have soup for breakfast, for example. Protein and vegetables in broth help me feel full for the whole morning. I like to include high fiber vegetables with lunch (and some fruit).

These aren't rules, you can experiment with what helps you feel fullest. You've had (by my rough estimate) about 559 calories so far. I've had about that amount too and I haven't been hungry at all (Breakfast: V8 and corn chowder; Lunch: Blackberries and asparagus/sweet potato curry).

Weight loss is a matter of calories in and calories out, but you should experiment to find the foods that make you feel most satisfied within your calorie deficit.

That is breakfast and lunch plus a snack, I break it down like that because I am used to snacking throughout the day. I am trying to eat healthier options right now which is just leaving me feeling hungry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I would also say not enough protein or fat. Probably not enough calories either.
    Rice cakes are low calorie but don't really give you nutrients either.
  • diannethegeek

For what it's worth, the sugar goals on MFP are based on the recommendations for added sugars, but the site can't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. A whole lot of us on here choose to ignore that particular goal. If you don't have any medical or personal reasons to cut sugar, it's not necessary to track for weight loss.
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Try eating eggs for breakfast. They keep me full. If I have fruit for breakfast I'll be hungry the whole day
  • libby328
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I would also say not enough protein or fat. Probably not enough calories either.
    Rice cakes are low calorie but don't really give you nutrients either.

The rice cakes are just a treat for me. I used to eat a lot of chips and such so I wanted to change that without completely removing it.