Keep your sodium intake between 1000-1500mg/day

Options
Most of us are taking in 2x the sodium we need....

http://hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/sodium/index-eng.php

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That says most people are eating 3500. MFP has their max set at 2500. As people get more active and sweat more they need more sodium, easily twice what the average person needs. Although I agree that many who are just starting out should be aware of their intake, only certain medical conditions require a low sodium intake.

Appropriate sodium intake is more about context than a set number.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    With a sodium intake that low, I'd probably pass out.

Also, that's from Canada. Different countries have different recommendations
  • lizrn2008
    lizrn2008 Posts: 13
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    As people get more active and sweat more they need more sodium, easily twice what the average person needs.

I agree!
    85% of Canadian adults do not meet physical activity recommendations - I hope that # changes with time! Apps like this are GREAT for motivation and help people understand how their dietary needs change with physical activity :)http://www.heartandstroke.com/atf/cf/{99452D8B-E7F1-4BD6-A57D-B136CE6C95BF}/PhysicalActivity4pager.pdf
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Eh. I don't seem to have a high sodium problem. Because I always have low blood pressure. And my doctor is always nagging me to eat more salt.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It would be extremely hard to stay at 1000 mg/day. You would need to eliminate virtually all prepared / packaged foods and all added salt, and still it would be hard. 1000 mg is about 1 cup of cottage cheese. Unachievable "recommendations" are not helpful.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It would be extremely hard to stay at 1000 mg/day. You would need to eliminate virtually all prepared / packaged foods and all added salt, and still it would be hard. 1000 mg is about 1 cup of cottage cheese. Unachievable "recommendations" are not helpful.

They are achievable. Yes, you would have to prepare all your food from fresh ingredients with careful seasoning. Some people find it medically necessary to be that low or lower. Most people do not.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Without any health issues, there is nothing wrong with 2500 mg sodium intake. 1000-1500 mgs a day is ridiculously low for most people.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I never reach the max sodium on MFP. I make much of my food from scratch, so the sodium I do consume is a naturally occurring mineral in what I am eating.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Eh. I don't seem to have a high sodium problem. Because I always have low blood pressure. And my doctor is always nagging me to eat more salt.

This is me as well and I tend to stay around the MFP recommendation. Barring medical conditions you don't have to go that low with your sodium intake.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Don't go that low on sodium if you drink the ridiculous amounts of water that a lot of people on this site seem to drink. Low sodium can cause lightheadedness and passing out upon standing up.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    With my history of kidney stones my doctor wants me to have a goal of 1500 mg. Very hard to achieve but I keep trying. I use Mrs. Dash on everything I need to add spice to...the Extra Hot version is really quite good. Try them all, there are many varieties of Mrs. Dash.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I

If you eat pkg'd foods then yes it can be difficult but if you eat whole foods prepared at home it's not that hard.

I can keep mine under 1500mg pretty easily but only if I don't eat out and watch sodium labels.

If if a person is more of an athlete their needs are much different...low sodium can cause issues of its own.

But yes I agree many of us go overboard on our sodium because of eating out and pre-pared foods. I read an article that indicates if you don't have issues with sodium it's still suggested to lower it at certain ages.

I didn't get a chance to read your article OP but keeping it under 1500mg daily is just something I've done for myself for awhile now.

Thanks for sharing :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    My Dietician says 2500 is fine and I am over 50 but very active. there is some new research showing even 3500 is fine (sorry don't have it handy). The Canadian source is known to have a very low recommendation.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    My Dietician says 2500 is fine and I am over 50 but very active. there is some new research showing even 3500 is fine (sorry don't have it handy). The Canadian source is known to have a very low recommendation.

http://consumer.healthday.com/public-health-information-30/centers-for-disease-control-news-120/cdc-salt-guidelines-too-low-for-good-health-study-suggests-686408.html

This has some data from a study published in the american journal of hypertension. They say that consumption of less that 2465 mg is just as bad as consumption of greater than 4945 mg, but that anywhere in that range is safe.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow, just checked my diary and I very rarely go over 1500mg.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I actually have to encourage my oldest to add more salt, plus she's under dr's orders to drink electrolyte drinks, lol. Low BP for her, often 85/55-60.

It's genetic, my mom and sister (normal bodyweight) both have low-normal BP and even me, at around 235lbs, have a BP of 100/70 ish
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm eating mostly food at home (mix of packaged and fresh whole foods), I get about the MFP recommended 2300. That was never on purpose--it just turned out that way. Last time I had a blood test to check for sodium, it was actually low. (I often feel dizzy when I stand, so the doc I guess thought it was necessary to check.)

Like others have said, it's extremely dangerous to drink a lot of water and not get enough salt. This was told to me by more than one doctor. (I only drink water, with the exception of an occasional coffee or tea.) One doctor warned me to get enough salt, or I risked water intoxication. (Keep in mind, I never drink more than 12 cups of water a day, and it's usually 9-10, so this is especially true for people who drink more than me, I assume, based on what he said.) And it is a scientific fact that water must be balanced with electrolytes for a healthy body.

People with kidney problems and salt-sensitive high blood pressure (and some other medical conditions) obviously do need to watch their salt intake, but for the rest of us? That Canadian chart the OP posted, the left column is for adequate intake. That sounds like what you need without keeling over. The column on the right is the upper range of recommended intake, which is what MFP recommends. So, my question is, if there's a range that big, why aim for the lowest number? Do they just assume we'll eat too much sodium if we don't aim that low?
  • lizrn2008
    lizrn2008 Posts: 13
    Options
    It would be extremely hard to stay at 1000 mg/day. You would need to eliminate virtually all prepared / packaged foods and all added salt, and still it would be hard.

Eliminating - or even cutting back on - prepared/packaged foods has so many heath benefits! Great point :)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lizrn2008 wrote: »
    It would be extremely hard to stay at 1000 mg/day. You would need to eliminate virtually all prepared / packaged foods and all added salt, and still it would be hard.

Eliminating - or even cutting back on - prepared/packaged foods has so many heath benefits! Great point :)

Thankfully not everyone needs to do that and can enjoy a varied palate of food, :)
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There's actually a lot of studies and articles going around with new theories that a diet high in sodium is really not bad for you. Hypertension and other diseases thought to be caused by high sodium could actually be the result of not exercising. Just food for thought.