2»

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    LilleanC wrote: »
    spicy618 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Have you considered, not eating till lunch or eating very little and saving those calories and some from your exercise to have a big calorie dinner and you will still be in your allowance. It's IF (intermittent fasting). Just my .02
    I have researched intermittent fasting. I know I can do it if I want to but I've also read that not eating breakfast can lower one's metabolism. How healthy is IF; I already don't eat a large breakfast. See my above post for my typical breakfast. Would you say that it's small enough or not eating anything at all.

If you were skipping meals and not eating enough calories, then yes. However, with IF you are still eating the calories MFP has allotted you, but you are eating them in a smaller window. For example, I eat all my calories between 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm, but I fall asleep early, cause I'm up at 5 a.m. This method is called 16:8.

Others, do shorter eating window, but in the big picture you are still eating your allotted calories and keeping your deficit. It helps me to keep my deficit after the weekends. :smile:

I do this too.

I pre-log my diary and put dinner in first. Example: Today I know we'll be going out for pizza, so I put in the amount of pizza and wine I know I'll want. Then I know how much is available for the other meals and today, it's not that much. But, because I eat all my food in an 8 hour window, I don't get a chance to feel really hungry during the day between meal and snacks. The other non-eating 16 hours aren't as hard as they sound because I'm sleeping for half that time.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Also op the closer you get to goal the more things like weighing and measuring all your food matters, you should be set to lose onle 1/2 a week being so close to goal.

Good luck with your new goal :flowerforyou:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I see two choices.

You either set yourself up as sedentary because you don't know your TDEE and/or do not exercise regularly enough to predict your daily burn and then you eat back all of your net exercise calories (which in effect means a big part but NOT ALL of your total exercise calories)

OR, you have enough data about how much you exercise and what your TDEE is, and so you set up as per the appropriate activity level (in your case probably active or highly active) and manually tweek your target calories to match TDEE -5%, or -10%, or -15%, or even up to -20% depending on how much excess fat you are starting up with (which cannot be that much in your particular case if you are teaching exercise classes, can it?)

I just walk around town for Pete's sake (admittedly about 3 hours a day) and my TDEE is slightly higher than what MFP guesses for an active person of my stats.

You talk about losing "again".

How much % per week has your weigh changed in the past 15, 30, 60, 90 days?

For the past two weeks I've been convinced i've reached a plateau/i am no longer losing, etc.

I reviewed my numbers (thanks MFP for the logs), and "discovered" that I am EXACTLY on my weekly weight loss target (actually about 6% faster).

YMMV but it sounds like you burn a heck of a lot more than 1400 cal a day!
    If you workout twice a day you are not sedentary. (I'm guessing that's what you chose)

Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Surprising yes I did choose sedimentary and most of the times at dinner yes i would eat back exercise calories. That's my problem (dinner time). Should I change it but then that to ALOT more right?

If your exercising twice a day then yes you need more than 1400 calories. Either change to active or eat back most of your exercise calories.

No wonder you're starving.
    I do eat exercise calories back sometimes some sometimes all but I'm still gaining weight I went from 162 lbs-168 lbs in a month. I have lost 37 lbs so far and would love to be at 158...I was so close :\

Answer for a month was a gain of 6 lbs.

Guys, this isn't a case of she's not eating enough and therefore she's starving.

Her original post was right - she's overeating but still hungry. She needs advice on what to do so she can curb that hunger at night.

ETA: At least for that past month - she did say she's changed her exercise recently, but I'm not sure it will be enough to compensate for the gain even if most of it is from glycogen replenishment.
  • LilleanC
    LilleanC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You've given some more info. Did you go to maintenance and then gained back the water weight you had originally lost? Or are you having trouble figuring out your maintenance calories?
    My ultimate goal was to reach 150 lbs. but when I arrived at 160 I saw that I had liked my body at that weight(with all my curves) so I decided to keep 160 my maintenance weight. I begun body beast some time last month to gain some nice muscles and that's when I moved from 160 to 168. I really don't know if it's muscle or fat gained. I have noticed my stomach has increased about 1/2-1 inch but all other measurements are about the same( some about 1/2 less.)
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I see two choices.

You either set yourself up as sedentary because you don't know your TDEE and/or do not exercise regularly enough to predict your daily burn and then you eat back all of your net exercise calories (which in effect means a big part but NOT ALL of your total exercise calories)

OR, you have enough data about how much you exercise and what your TDEE is, and so you set up as per the appropriate activity level (in your case probably active or highly active) and manually tweek your target calories to match TDEE -5%, or -10%, or -15%, or even up to -20% depending on how much excess fat you are starting up with (which cannot be that much in your particular case if you are teaching exercise classes, can it?)

I just walk around town for Pete's sake (admittedly about 3 hours a day) and my TDEE is slightly higher than what MFP guesses for an active person of my stats.

For the past two weeks I've been convinced i've reached a plateau/i am no longer losing, etc.

I reviewed my numbers (thanks MFP for the logs), and "discovered" that I am EXACTLY on my weekly weight loss target (actually about 6% faster).

If you workout twice a day you are not sedentary. (I'm guessing that's what you chose)

Surprising yes I did choose sedimentary and most of the times at dinner yes i would eat back exercise calories. That's my problem (dinner time). Should I change it but then that to ALOT more right?

If your exercising twice a day then yes you need more than 1400 calories. Either change to active or eat back most of your exercise calories.

I do eat exercise calories back sometimes some sometimes all but I'm still gaining weight I went from 162 lbs-168 lbs in a month. I have lost 37 lbs so far and would love to be at 158...I was so close :\

Guys, this isn't a case of she's not eating enough and therefore she's starving.

Her original post was right - she's overeating but still hungry. She needs advice on what to do so she can curb that hunger at night.

ETA: At least for that past month - she did say she's changed her exercise recently, but I'm not sure it will be enough to compensate for the gain even if most of it is from glycogen replenishment.

Since she isn't weighing and measuring her food she actually doesn't know how much she's been eating.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    <cautious hand raise>
    2x a day workouts?

why and what type?
    I do body beast on morings before work and teach gym classes on evenings. My gym class schedule:
    Monday- Step aerobics
    Tuesday- Circuit training/Dance
    Wednesday- Upper body weight training
    Thursday-Leg day
    We don't have gym classes on Friday-Sunday but I do work out at home on Sundays.

You could get away with a lot more than 1400 with this schedule. I prefer to eat in the evenings as well - I just go lighter on breakfast and lunch so I have more at night.
  • LilleanC
    Options
    I see two choices.

Since she isn't weighing and measuring her food she actually doesn't know how much she's been eating.
    I measure breakfast (97% of the time) I measure Lunch (97% of the time) my point is I don't measure ALL the time but yes I do measure breakfast and lunch my problem is dinner. Ok here's the scenario:
    I would have a cup of almond milk and 1/2 cup of dry oats for breakfast
    Total: 210 calories (8-9 am)
    Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato with either chicken or fish and probably some veggies
    Total: 300-450 calories depending on the choice of protein or amount of potato(12:15 pm)
    Afternoon snack: A medium pear/fruit or sometimes nothing; just my water (3 pm)
    Then I would go to gym at 5:30 pm and leave at 6:30pm
    When I get home and it's dinner time(normally not more than 30 minutes after arriving) I would eat white bread,whole milk,juice, anything in sight. I would sometimes have over 400 calories or more left for dinner I would still overeat that after gym. This is where I go wrong and this is where I need to know should I eat something more substantial before my workout so that I don't devour my kitchen when I get home. If so what do u recommend that I eat so I'm not so hungry after gym.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I see two choices.

I measure breakfast (97% of the time) I measure Lunch (97% of the time) my point is I don't measure ALL the time but yes I do measure breakfast and lunch my problem is dinner. Ok here's the scenario:
    Total: 300-450 calories depending on the choice of protein or amount of potato(12:15 pm)
    When I get home and it's dinner time(normally not more than 30 minutes after arriving) I would eat white bread,whole milk,juice, anything in sight. I would sometimes have over 400 calories or more left for dinner I would still overeat that after gym. This is where I go wrong and this is where I need to know should I eat something more substantial before my workout so that I don't devour my kitchen when I get home. If so what do u recommend that I eat so I'm not so hungry after gym.

Cups are not weighing, cups are for liquid only. If you don't weigh your dinner you have no idea how much you are eating.

Can you eat before the gym or pack something to eat straight after. I'd also add some protein to the afternoon snack to keep you fuller for longer.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think there is a simple answer for this. Or magic way to keep yourself from eating too much. Pre log and load your plate up before you eat it. Put the rest away. You just have to think what is more important. Losing weight or eating the extra rolls/or whatever? Make meals that are lower calorie. Lean meat and lots of veggies.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I see two choices.

I would try this first. Also, not minimizing your actual hunger because from your workout schedule I can see why you would be feeling hungry, but how much of it is either a habit or a reward? I'd drink a big glass of water first when you get home. Then eat your planned meal. Then leave the kitchen and go do something else. Honestly assess your actual hunger level after 20 - 30 min. See how you feel then.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I see two choices.

I would eat something small before the gym so you aren't starving when you get home. You could leave out the milk and juice and save your calories for food.

I don't weigh and measure everything I eat. Sometimes I just log half an avocado for example.
  • LilleanC
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I see two choices.

I would try this first. Also, not minimizing your actual hunger because from your workout schedule I can see why you would be feeling hungry, but how much of it is either a habit or a reward? I'd drink a big glass of water first when you get home. Then eat your planned meal. Then leave the kitchen and go do something else. Honestly assess your actual hunger level after 20 - 30 min. See how you feel then.

Ok The big glass of water sounds pretty good to me. Maybe it could be thirst and not hunger. I'll try this today and report to u guys tomorrow as to how it goes. Thanks so much guys for all the feedback. I will make sure to do some of what was recommended here to see how it works. Once again thanks much. <3

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm confused about your schedule:
    Breakfast = 210
    Lunch = 450
    Snack = 100
    Total = 760
    You should have 640 calories for dinner + your exercise calories. You should have at least 1k calories to eat after the gym. Why did you mention going over 400?

It sounds like you are doing a lot of exercise. The more you exercise the more food you need to eat. You also need to pay more attention to sleep and hydration. You need to keep your body fueled to stay that active. I have an active schedule too, if I don't eat all my exercise calories back or miss a few hours of sleep, I want to eat an entire cow....

Try eating more throughout the day so you aren't starving by the time you get home. Because yes, it is super hard to measure stuff and control yourself when you are starving. Also, try having a bar to eat on your way home, that way you have more control measuring out stuff. Also try logging your dinner during the day so you know what to eat when you get home. Making a plate the night before would help even more.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,937 Member
    Options
    A glass of water + high protein yogurt (the >16g per 175g (about 3/4 cup) variety and an apple right after your workout (about 200 cal total). x1.5 or x2 if hungrier/intense workout.

Then drive home/shower dress what have you.... and eat (the rest of your) dinner 30+ minutes post snack.

When hungry the apple trick still works for me :smiley:

1 tbsp of PB is about 100 cal. 3/4 cups high protein yogurt is the same and seems like a comparative bargain to my tummy!

Consider removing juices etc from the house for a while as to me they seemed expensive when trying to fit them in a 1400 cal budget.

Eat the cals and drink water for a while.

How much protein are you totalling per lb or kg of lean body mass?

Last but not least you don't actually seem to know whether you are gaining muscle/fat/water.

I realize that it is not always easy but consider body composition tests (DXA, body pod, skinfold calipers) so that you KNOW what is happening to you! Is there a chance you've gained muscle?

And BTW, based on your profile pics, wow what an amazing transformation!
  • LilleanC
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Breakfast = 210
    Lunch = 450
    Snack = 100
    Total = 760
    You should have 640 calories for dinner + your exercise calories. You should have at least 1k calories to eat after the gym. Why did you mention going over 400?

It sounds like you are doing a lot of exercise. The more you exercise the more food you need to eat. You also need to pay more attention to sleep and hydration. You need to keep your body fueled to stay that active. I have an active schedule too, if I don't eat all my exercise calories back or miss a few hours of sleep, I want to eat an entire cow....

Try eating more throughout the day so you aren't starving by the time you get home. Because yes, it is super hard to measure stuff and control yourself when you are starving. Also, try having a bar to eat on your way home, that way you have more control measuring out stuff. Also try logging your dinner during the day so you know what to eat when you get home. Making a plate the night before would help even more.

Ok I think I know where I'm going wrong. Someone who has been using MFP before me (I'm kinda new to this) said that I shouldn't eat my exercise calories back if I'm trying to create a deficit. Do I have this right because when I mean I overeat I mean I eat whats left from my recommended intake plus exercise calories burnt so the figures would sometimes be -100 to -200 in red. Is this ok?
  • LilleanC
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Breakfast = 210
    Lunch = 450
    Snack = 100
    Total = 760

I know how important sleep and hydration is because when my husband traveled I made sure that I got at least my 8 hours and my body felt sooooo good. But since his being back that has changed and enrolling my daughter in kindergarten is another again. So I think that this is one that I definitely need to work on. The hydration part of it is getting there already I just need to work on my sleep quality.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok I think I know where I'm going wrong. Someone who has been using MFP before me (I'm kinda new to this) said that I shouldn't eat my exercise calories back if I'm trying to create a deficit. Do I have this right because when I mean I overeat I mean I eat whats left from my recommended intake plus exercise calories burnt so the figures would sometimes be -100 to -200 in red. Is this ok?

When you fill out MFP it asks for your weight, height, lifestyle, age, etc. It then calculates how many calories you need per day to stay exactly how you are (say 2000 in this example). It also asks for how many pounds you would like to lose per week. If you are close to your goal you should be at -.5lbs, -1lb is good for most others. You need to have a deficit of 3500 calories in order to lose 1 pound. So to lose 1 pound per week you need to have a deficit of 500 calories per day. This means MFP will suggest you eat:

2000-500 = 1500 calories per day. Your recommended 1500 calories has the deficit built in.

When you exercise, you increase that deficit. You need to log your exercise calories and that will automatically increase your allowed calories for the day. If your number goes from green to red it means you are decreasing the deficit built into MFP, which can slow down your expected weight loss. If you increase the red too much you will hit maintenance (no loss) and above maintenance (gain weight).

You can (and should at your exercise levels) eat all your exercise calories back and still lose your 1 pound per week (assuming the burn is accurate) . If you create too large of a deficit you can start feeling exhausted, super hungry, get headaches, etc. Long term large deficits can do damage to your body.

So please clarify: MFP recommends you eat 1400 calories per day? How many pounds per week are you trying to lose? You log your exercise calories? On average, how many calories per day do you eat?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I see two choices.

True enough.

She doesn't have accurate grams and calorie numbers, but an increase of 6 lbs in a month means she's overeating unless it's a lot of water gain or some undiagnosed medical condition.

So whatever she is eating now - however many calories that is in reality - she needs to figure out how to eat less.