Using spare calories

Options
if you have 50-100 calories left for the day, do you always use them up & if so what do you have?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I snack on shredded wheat cereal for any calorie gaps I need to fill such as what you're saying. I'd definitely use those calories up and just snack on something small.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no, but i guess it depends on how many calories a day youre eating in general.

any surplus goes towards overall weight loss, or miscalculations in calories or exercise.
  • chasingyouu
    chasingyouu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes on days where I know I haven't been too accurate with calorie counting, I'll leave 100ish calories to make room for error.
    Lately, I've been using leftover calories to have a hot chocolate in the evening :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some people "bank" calories for later in the week. This is kind of like how life after dieting will work. IE: eat a little less during the week, because dinner party on Saturday....type thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to sweat 50 - 100 calories per day under...even being as accurate as possible, you're going to have inaccuracies and those would fall well within any reasonable margin of error.

That said, I'm usually a couple hundred calories or so over but still well within my deficit so I don't really sweat it....
  • AllisonMorrris3
    AllisonMorrris3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are these "left over calories" you speak of? hahaha
    I never have any left. I'm a hungry girl and I eat them ALLLL
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I like to view it like a game of blackjack: how close can I get to my goal without going over?

So yeah, if I have 50-100 calories left at the end of the day, I'll have a snack, usually with the goal of hitting a macro or micro that I'm low on for that day.

I pre-log my days, though, so most days I've meal planned around my actual calorie goal and I usually come pretty close to it.

(Exception: If I am banking some calories for an upcoming planned special occasion, I might deliberately come in under my goal for a few days beforehand.)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, I give myself a buffer to keep from going over my daily limit.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i only use them if I want to.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log as much as possible and I tweak as I go (was not as hungry at lunch, so ate less, wanted a snack so add that in, etc). I usually have extra calories because of working out, but I don't tend to try to "fill up" the calories unless I'm actually hungry.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Some people "bank" calories for later in the week. This is kind of like how life after dieting will work. IE: eat a little less during the week, because dinner party on Saturday....type thing.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Day before yesterday, although I ate well, I still had, left over 150. I figured I'd make it up somewhere in the week. And yesterday I may have made around that error in miscalculation, so i guess it evened out :smile:

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as left over calories, only nutbutters.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    There is no such thing as left over calories, only nutbutters.

Words to live by.