Running with Weights

Options
Hi All,

I've been running 3-5 km/day for about six weeks and have got my fitness up to a reasonable level where I really want to push further. The problem is I have an early start and can't afford to spend more than about 40 minutes in the mornings running (I'm up at five as it is).

Been thinking about running with a 1.25 kg plate in each hand to increase the intensity of the workout. I've read bad things about the impact of ankle weights so I'm a little trepadatious.

Any experience or advice on running with weights would be much appreciated.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Invest in a ruck and use one of those.

or- do interval training- sprint intervals or farlicks

I wouldn't run with hand weights honestly.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It may be easier to run with a weighted a vest than plates.

I agree with JoRocka- interval training is good too
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Start doing intervals. That will increase the intensity and it only takes 30 minutes IF you can make it to the end. I do two types of intervals on the treadmill. One is speed and the other is incline. I always have the incline set to 1 at start.

Start with a 5 minute warm up
    2 minutes with increased speed or interval (I would do 3 incline or 7 speed)
    1 minute rest (So incline would go to 1 and speed to about 5 or 4.5 depends how I feel)
    Repeat till you hit 25 minutes (5 minutes warm up + 20 interval)
    Then a 5 minute cool down.

It took me awhile to hit the full 30 minutes. Incline is easier for me than speed. Probably do to all the squats I have been doing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest I use for runs (I can add more weight as needed). A ruck would be a good idea as well.
  • Gelandewagen
    Gelandewagen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some great advice. I should have mentioned that I run outdoors (because I can!) but should be able to apply the treadmill principles mentioned to my workout.

Interval it is then!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The more weight you carry, the harder it is going to be on your body. I would not recommend adding weight if you are running longer distance or if you plan on carrying the weight on a regular basis.
    I would strongly recommend upping the intensity over added weight. Increase the pace or do intervals.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the advice not to run with weight in your hands. It would not be good for the joints in your wrist, elbow and shoulder.

Nor would I recommend running with lose weights in a rucksack either. The problem is that the weight would shift back and forth and you could injure your back.

A weighted vest that is properly sized and cinched closely to the body to distribute the weight across your torso would be a much better option. Check out Iron Wear Fitness's website or Hyperwear's site.

Or forego the weight altogether and do the interval training as the others have suggested.
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I'm outside I will use telephone poles as my intervals on certain routes because I get tired of looking at my watch. Just switch between sprint and jog.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Run harder. Don't run with weights. You will wreck your form and hurt yourself. Just work on running harder and faster. Save weights for the weight room
  • Gelandewagen
    Gelandewagen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea; most places I run have 400 or 1,000 metre street blocks which makes good variety.

Great advice all. I'll save the weights for strength training!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some great advice. I should have mentioned that I run outdoors (because I can!) but should be able to apply the treadmill principles mentioned to my workout.

Interval it is then!!

Outside is even easier, especially if you can run on a track. Sprint the straights, walk or jog the corners. ( depending on your fitness level.) You can also either download a HIIT app to time your intervals, or go by how you feel. (Sprint as long as you can, then walk or jog until you are rested enough to do it again.)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    KJWjEaJ.gif

Run some hills. Run in sand. Run in mud. But do not run carrying weights.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Find a hill do hill repeats. Hard work and you're not in danger of injuring yourself
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Just dont run with scissors or knives!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A vest or ruck sack would be better if you’re dead set on this. For me, I’d focus on speed and try to run further in the same time. Or as mentioned above, do hills.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies, Run! It's an interactive sort of game...
    It creates intervals by playing your choice of playlist music and then will randomly be like, "THERE ARE ZOMBIES BEHIND YOU" and then you run as fast as your possibly can until it lets you know the zombies are gone then you go back to regular running. You can pick up "prizes" by running more distance, etc. It's so much fun! I have it on my Android phone.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't run with weights and agree with others that it is not needed. It could even hurt your form if you are not an experienced runner and know how your body feels running without weights. Try hill and sprints like others have said. For me personally, my runs are about increasing distance and speed which I don't need weights for. I use weights in cross training.

Good luck!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    KJWjEaJ.gif

Run some hills. Run in sand. Run in mud. But do not run carrying weights.

KITTEH.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Don't run with weights. You're going to wreck your knees.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Why not just run faster if you want to up the intensity?