How many calories are ideal, the new update is confusing me!! HELP!!

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    nmmd wrote: »
    No wonder I've been very dizzy and felt like I would pass out for over two weeks!

Go eat several cookies. Now. :cookie:
  • nmmd
    nmmd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it's too high iron feline, because of what the app used to tell me right before I updated. To lose 1-2 pounds/week I was at 840 cal/ day.... That's a pretty big difference!!!

That is beyond wrong and a massive bug in mfp system at the moment.

The las test numbers are closer to correct. Please please don't eat only 840 calories a day.

Please.

I've honestly been doing just that for over two weeks!
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That is my maintenance level at 5'2" and that's cause I sit on my butt all day long at work, seems low for maintenance at 5'7".
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I think it's too high iron feline, because of what the app used to tell me right before I updated. To lose 1-2 pounds/week I was at 840 cal/ day.... That's a pretty big difference!!!

MFP will not give you a goal of less than 1200 cals unless you manually entered it. It is difficult to get the required fat, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals on a diet of less than 1200 cals, and even then you would have to be very strict to get your requirements. You have a little mre wiggle room if you eat more.

That said if 840 was to lose 2 lbs/week that mean your maintenance is 1840, so to lose 1 lb/week you would need 1340 cals/

Actually it was going below 1200 for a large number of people as it was a bug in the last upgrade.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    No wonder I've been very dizzy and felt like I would pass out for over two weeks!

Go eat several cookies. Now. :cookie:

Please do use the new numbers and feel better.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but make sure to get 10k steps per day. I'm 5'5.5", 125ish pounds, 40 years old. Maintenance for me is around 1800ish.

The required deficit is 500 calories per pound - so if you're starting at 1675 then of course you get 1200 if you put in a goal to lose 1+ pounds per week. Though in reality, are you sedentary? If this is not the right activity level, then don't choose it just because you're afraid to eat. If you ARE sedentary - put .5 pounds as a goal. Should assign 1425 to eat. Then feel free to eat some additional when you workout.
    I just updated this app. Now when I put in my goals as let's say maintaining my weight. I get a ridiculous amount of calories per day (1675). I'm pretty sure I'd start packing on the pounds! I'm 5'7 and 139 pounds. May be wrong... This seems very high to me! Maybe someone could tell me!? And just playing around I put my activity level at sedentary for that calorie number. Not only that but when I change my goal from 1-2 pounds per week I get 1200 cal/day.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    That is my maintenance level at 5'2" and that's cause I sit on my butt all day long at work, seems low for maintenance at 5'7".

Sounds like my maintenance level. I'm 5.65, 41 years old and about 133lbs
  • nmmd
    Options
    Thank you sooo much everyone!
  • nmmd
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

MFP will not give you a goal of less than 1200 cals unless you manually entered it. It is difficult to get the required fat, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals on a diet of less than 1200 cals, and even then you would have to be very strict to get your requirements. You have a little mre wiggle room if you eat more.

That said if 840 was to lose 2 lbs/week that mean your maintenance is 1840, so to lose 1 lb/week you would need 1340 cals/day.

You should pick the proper weekly goal for how much you have to lose:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Before I updated, I couldn't change my calorie amount/day at all!!!
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eeek you poor thing :'( That totally sucks the glitch had you eating such little food and feeling dizzy. Definitely eat the amount it's now suggesting and ENJOY!!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I just updated this app. Now when I put in my goals as let's say maintaining my weight. I get a ridiculous amount of calories per day (1675). I'm pretty sure I'd start packing on the pounds! I'm 5'7 and 139 pounds. May be wrong... This seems very high to me! Maybe someone could tell me!? And just playing around I put my activity level at sedentary for that calorie number. Not only that but when I change my goal from 1-2 pounds per week I get 1200 cal/day.

If you think 1675 calories is "ridiculously high," you have been eating way too few calories for way too long.
  • fatcity66
    Options

So how much weight did you lose over the past 2 weeks? Just curious. LOL
  • Iron_Feline
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

lol? really?

Please don't answer this question as it may encourage lurkers to drop calories very low for some quick weight loss.

Instead let's just take away the fact that dropping your calories very low makes you dizzy and feel like you're going to pass out.
  • fatcity66
    edited March 2015
    Options

lol? really?

Please don't answer this question as it may encourage lurkers to drop calories very low for some quick weight loss.

Instead lets just take away the fact that dropping your calories very low makes you dizzy and feel like you're going to pass out.

Whatever. If people do that, they're idiots. They would have done it anyway.
  • nmmd
    Options

If you think 1675 calories is "ridiculously high," you have been eating way too few calories for way too long.

I feel like your comment is a bit snarky... I started this thread because I was confused. When using an app that lots of people recommend you assume it's on point with your calorie intake, not that there a major glitch in the program. I was only following the "plan". And because the app told me to only consume 840 cal/day and then changed with the update, I posted this thread for help...not for snarky remarks! I've been doing this for two weeks when I put the app on my phone.
  • nmmd
    Options

..... 8 pounds
  • nmmd
    Options

lol? really?

Instead let's just take away the fact that dropping your calories very low makes you dizzy and feel like you're going to pass out.

Oops already answered
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One Caveat in all of this debate over 'how much is too much'/'how much is not enough' discussion. Bear in mind that men and women essentially operate on a different scale.

There used to be a fallacy that men had more muscle than women. They do not. They do, however, generally have more developed muscle (Yes, even the fat, flabby ones) than women. But this is not always the case. Many women, especially nowadays, are more aware of body image and body toning. They may well have finely toned muscles that would rival the best of their male counterparts.

On the flip side of this is coin is that women, built for childbearing, tend to have more body fat, for protective padding, than men... at least more body fat cells - even the more muscle toned ones. This goes back to the caves when women would pack on more weight during pregnancy as a life saving support system for both mother and child.

NOTE: With the exception of liposuction, which removes fat cells from the body, a person will always have the SAME number of fat cells. They may lose weight and the cells will shrink, but they will still have the same number of fat cells in their body. This is also one reason why it is so hard for some people to keep the weight off after they have lost it. [And now, back to my regularly scheduled rant.]

Dietary/caloric requirements to maintain muscle mass is greater than for fat so, with women having a greater number of fat cells and, generally speaking, a lower muscle mass than men, this creates a disparity in the general requirements for men and women.
    In other words, for a woman to maintain a certain weight, at a particular activity level, and specific body dimensions, she will require fewer calories than a man with the same general dimensions and activity level. To take it a step further, you can find two people - same height and same weight - but one is mostly muscle while the other is mostly fat. The dietary and caloric requirements for each would be drastically different, even for maintaining a weight.

So, when calculating whether this is too much or that is not enough, bear in mind that it's all relative and the numbers are nothing more than a generalization.

Make sense?
  • fatcity66
    Options

I feel like your comment is a bit snarky... I started this thread because I was confused. When using an app that lots of people recommend you assume it's on point with your calorie intake, not that there a major glitch in the program. I was only following the "plan". And because the app told me to only consume 840 cal/day and then changed with the update, I posted this thread for help...not for snarky remarks! I've been doing this for two weeks when I put the app on my phone.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Let me ask you this...if the app told you to go jump off a bridge, would you do it? Would you say you were just "following the plan?" LOL Don't be ridiculous.
  • nmmd
    Options

You're entitled to your opinion.

Let me ask you this...if the app told you to go jump off a bridge, would you do it? Would you say you were just "following the plan?" LOL Don't be ridiculous.
    Again snarky... Maybe even B#*?%$. Go cyber bully someone else, or find something better to do with your time. You must be what 12?