Grumpiness, is it because i'm hungry?!

Options
Today my boyfriend commented on my grumpiness and frequent mood swings. Usually I'm not that type of person and excluding work stress I lead a pleasant life. He mentioned that maybe it is because I restrict my food intake and I constantly watch what I eat which might be making me unhappy without me realising it. Does anybody else experience this?

Replies

• Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I definItley get "hangry". I MUST eat every 3 hours or so. I can feel myself getting irritable at the 3 hour mark. I keep a banana, a cliff bar, a green apple, and a ziplock of walnuts with me at all times away from the house. If I can't make it to a meal, at least I have a snack to ensure no one is killed during my hangry spell...
  • Dadof3bbg2
    Options
    The female species...trying to be gentle here....have many hungry mood swings. These hungry episodes can come n go by the minute, and could last throughout the day. Some hunger spells last weeks, months, even years...or so I've been told
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I CAN get grumpy when I'm hungry. Also near TOM. Or on low sleep.

Have YOU noticed being grumpy? The way you wrote this, it almost seems like you didn't even notice, and so have no way to know when you're doing it, or what you could connect it to. If this is the case, maybe your boyfriend can start pointing it out to you, so you can look for what might be causing it.

If sometimes you're hungry, and you notice you become irritable, then it's probably the hunger.
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I CAN get grumpy when I'm hungry. Also near TOM. Or on low sleep.

Have YOU noticed being grumpy? The way you wrote this, it almost seems like you didn't even notice, and so have no way to know when you're doing it, or what you could connect it to. If this is the case, maybe your boyfriend can start pointing it out to you, so you can look for what might be causing it.

If sometimes you're hungry, and you notice you become irritable, then it's probably the hunger.

Agree. And to be on the safe side, tell the boyfriend to be tactful when pointing out grumpiness. Don't need any innocent casualties here.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hangry, tired, stressed, rushed.

I have to say, it is NOT because I am female you MCP! (and I have eaten, exercised, gotten plenty of sleep last night, rode my bike for the first time in 5 months, it was sunny and pleasant out, and I love my job)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the hangry is real.
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hangry happens all the time. today was especially horrible, thank goodness nobody was at home when I got back from work today, there would be casualties. :s
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eating less sugar can reduce mood swings when your hungry because your blood sugar doesn't rise and dip as radically. Consistently eating sugar and unrefined carbs creates a cycle where your body needs more sugar every few hours. This creates mood swings among other things. BTW, Cliff bars have sugar. If you don't want to stop eating sugar, try having no sugar with just breakfast (eggs n bacon anyone?) and see how you feel when lunch time comes around. If you feel more even tempered or just less starving in general then it was probably the sugar. Try adding more veggies and whole grains. I actually extremely lowered my sugar intake about 6 months ago and it has worked wonders.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I get the hangry feels too. I almost got fired when I yelled at my District Manager to "shut the hell up" my second week of logging. Whoops
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Dadof3bbg2 wrote: »
    The female species...trying to be gentle here....have many hungry mood swings. These hungry episodes can come n go by the minute, and could last throughout the day. Some hunger spells last weeks, months, even years...or so I've been told

LMAO!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i was flat out nasty when i was trying to eat only 1200 calories a day.

1500 and im a much nicer person. LOLOLOL
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How's your fat intake? Not enough can affect hormone balance or yes, you could just be hangry!

Haha happens to us all, have you not read these boards?
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Besides being hangry, I notice the first 4-6 weeks of logging/ reducing calories, I am usually pretty grumpy. I later realized I was unintentionally reducing my caffeine intake sooo low it was 1) screwing with my sleep and 2) just getting general withdrawal symptoms but since I wasn't cold turkey, not having withdrawal headaches.