Powerade Zero

Options
I know you're supposed to have 8 cups or 64 oz of water every day. Would you consider powerade zero part of that 64 oz, or do you just count strictly water?

Replies

• angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No. Water is water.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    coffee , tea , water , powerade... whatever ... it all counts
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think fluids in general count too, like tea, fruit juices etc.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yes. Powerade zero can count towards your water.

..tis also good for hangovers. ;)
  • Temeritas
    Temeritas Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Stop the madness.... Water is water lol. No additives or chemicals or colors... If you drop some fruit in your water, then okay.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    It is a beverage that will work to hydrate you and replace electrolytes; however, I only count water towards my daily water intake. Also, be careful not to consume too many sports drinks, as it can be unhealthy especially if you are not exerting yourself enough to need all of the electrolytes that they contain. As a youth coach, I have seen kids that have drank too many and not had enough physical exertion (i.e. sweating or hard play) throw up. Not to mention, if they’ve only been drinking the dark blue or reds it makes for a really interesting mess.
    Furthermore, if any fluid would work then the recommendation would be 64 oz. a day of any fluid as opposed to strictly stating 64 oz. of water. Just saying!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The 8 cups thing has mostly been debunked - it's not really even based on science. I personally have a lot more than 8 cups because I like to, but not because there's a physical need. All fluids count, to some degree, but fluids with caffeine also act as a diuretic, so they count less (you lose more of these through pee than other fluids). Powerade zero counts just a much as water.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    It is a beverage that will work to hydrate you and replace electrolytes; however, I only count water towards my daily water intake. Also, be careful not to consume too many sports drinks, as it can be unhealthy especially if you are not exerting yourself enough to need all of the electrolytes that they contain. As a youth coach, I have seen kids that have drank too many and not had enough physical exertion (i.e. sweating or hard play) throw up. Not to mention, if they’ve only been drinking the dark blue or reds it makes for a really interesting mess.
    Furthermore, if any fluid would work then the recommendation would be 64 oz. a day of any fluid as opposed to strictly stating 64 oz. of water. Just saying!

Actually, that IS the actual recommendation, from the Mayo Clinic:
    What about the advice to drink 8 glasses a day?

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    All fluids count, even coffee and tea, soda pop. I only add my water to the water area and count other fluids in my beverages for the day, but I add them all together in my head when counting my total intake, I still drink a lot of plain water every day too.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Temeritas wrote: »
    Stop the madness.... Water is water lol. No additives or chemicals or colors... If you drop some fruit in your water, then okay.

So coffee beans change the chemical properties of H2O???
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »

All fluids count
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Drink enough so you're hydrated and your pee is a pale yellow.
    If you achieve that with Powerade, water, tea, etc, whatever.
    However, still log the powerade in your diary as well, not just under the water section
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I count Powerade Zero in with my food and in with my water .....because I like to add water to it to make it even weaker.
  • kimtex1022
    kimtex1022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I added it in with my food as well. I only drink powerade zero once a day, if that. I'm trying to drop the coke zero in the mornings, so I grabbed a powerade zero this morning. Yesterday it was strictly all water that I had.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't count my water anymore but when I did water was strictly for water. And everything else was just a bonus. I didn't look through the whole thread but did anyone touch on the sodium content in diet drinks and the adverse effects high sodium content can have on hydration (the entire point of drinking water in my opinion) ?
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Temeritas wrote: »

So coffee beans change the chemical properties of H2O???

I could be wrong here, but I want to say coffee is a diuretic, which causes you to lose water?

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Adding flavor to water doesn't turn it into something other than a liquid. It is still water.
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Powerade zero had sodium so I don't think so
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sodium is actually essential for hydration, especially if one is dehydrated.
  • NewNaomi2015
    NewNaomi2015 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee, and other beverages...I asked my doctor about the whole water thing, and she said as long as we are drinking liquids, it can count...granted, water by itself is best, but other beverages are still putting liquid into your body...