'I'm suppose to eat 1200 calories a day'

'Im to eat 1200 calories a day to loose weight' i usually have 600-700 calories left at the end of the day. Do I NEED to make them up even if I'm not hungry!?!?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    'Im to eat 1200 calories a day to loose weight' i usually have 600-700 calories left at the end of the day. Do I NEED to make them up even if I'm not hungry!?!?

Mostly, yes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Generally speaking, your body will require 1,200 calories a day to function. If you're only eating 500-600 calories a day, either something is off with your logging (and you're actually eating more) or something else is going on. I don't think 500-600 calories a day would keep you from feeling hungry and you would certainly feel an impact in your energy levels.
  • Generally speaking, your body will require 1,200 calories a day to function. If you're only eating 500-600 calories a day, either something is off with your logging (and you're actually eating more) or something else is going on. I don't think 500-600 calories a day would keep you from feeling hungry and you would certainly feel an impact in your energy levels.

I'm eating lots of fruit and veg. With hardly any calories in! And I'm having weight watchers meals for dinner. (Not snaking in between) i have a normal tea but a small portion. Could it be I'm not weighing my tea properly? Any tips? ? I'm doing walks at a mod pace with a pram also. Which is burning things I'm eating..... Thanks for your help :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Generally speaking, your body will require 1,200 calories a day to function. If you're only eating 500-600 calories a day, either something is off with your logging (and you're actually eating more) or something else is going on. I don't think 500-600 calories a day would keep you from feeling hungry and you would certainly feel an impact in your energy levels.

I'm eating lots of fruit and veg. With hardly any calories in! And I'm having weight watchers meals for dinner. (Not snaking in between) i have a normal tea but a small portion. Could it be I'm not weighing my tea properly? Any tips? ? I'm doing walks at a mod pace with a pram also. Which is burning things I'm eating..... Thanks for your help :)

If 500-600 calories of fruits and vegetables (along with a single Weight Watchers meal) is truly filling you up, why not add some calorie-dense foods to your diet (peanut butter with the fruit, a handful of nuts, some oil-based dressing on the vegetables). 500-600 calories is not enough to sustain you.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Are you getting enough protein goals? 500-600 of fruits and veggies and a weight watchers meal sounds like you probably aren't. Try eating you veggies in a two egg omelette in the morning, adding some whole fat greek yogurt, or some shredded chicken breast to a salad at lunch.

All of those will bump your daily calories up nicely, get some protein in your diet and aren't things you need to eat a lot of so they won't make you feel too full.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Do you eat under 1200 every day? Or do you eat more on the weekends? Do you ever not log food?

At 22, unless you are under 5' (and even then it could be debatable) you need to be netting 1200 at least. As stated your body needs that amount to operate properly. Eating under what your body needs for an extended amount of time can cause serious damage.

Please provide your weight, goal weight, and height.

But yes, reach for higher nutrient density foods. Nuts, nut butter, other proteins. How are your macros looking?

• echoslug wrote: »
    Are you getting enough protein goals? 500-600 of fruits and veggies and a weight watchers meal sounds like you probably aren't. Try eating you veggies in a two egg omelette in the morning, adding some whole fat greek yogurt, or some shredded chicken breast to a salad at lunch.

All of those will bump your daily calories up nicely, get some protein in your diet and aren't things you need to eat a lot of so they won't make you feel too full.

Noo I'm not eating alot of protein. Just turkey if I am! I'll take your advise and eat more egg, chicken etc. Thanks :)
  • Generally speaking, your body will require 1,200 calories a day to function. If you're only eating 500-600 calories a day, either something is off with your logging (and you're actually eating more) or something else is going on. I don't think 500-600 calories a day would keep you from feeling hungry and you would certainly feel an impact in your energy levels.

If 500-600 calories of fruits and vegetables (along with a single Weight Watchers meal) is truly filling you up, why not add some calorie-dense foods to your diet (peanut butter with the fruit, a handful of nuts, some oil-based dressing on the vegetables). 500-600 calories is not enough to sustain you.

Yeah ill try sone peanut butter thanks! It's just hard to find things to snack on that isn't full of *kitten* haha :)
  • esjones12 wrote: »
    Do you eat under 1200 every day? Or do you eat more on the weekends? Do you ever not log food?

At 22, unless you are under 5' (and even then it could be debatable) you need to be netting 1200 at least. As stated your body needs that amount to operate properly. Eating under what your body needs for an extended amount of time can cause serious damage.

Please provide your weight, goal weight, and height.

But yes, reach for higher nutrient density foods. Nuts, nut butter, other proteins. How are your macros looking?

I'm 5'6 and I put 4 Stone whilst being pregnant :( now i wiegh just under 15 stone.Trying to get down to 10 Stone.

I honestly am writing down everything even cups of tea. I'm just not eating and fatty foods!! And drinking LOTS of water. Maybe I'm not weighing my tea properly or somthing
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    tea, unless it's got sugar and cream, is usually 0 calories, which is great. Fiber one bars are great, there' a Fiber one protein with carmel that I love, you can get dates and put a tiny bit of almond or peanut butter on them, they are really good for you, also keep you full. Definitely need to find some protein, nuts, eggs, meat, fish. You're not eating nearly enough I think. Good luck and try to eat more. Cheese, yogurt???
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Yes, you need the calories.

And your body needs protein, and it needs fat. So not eating those things is not an option.

You also do not need to cut out all the foods you used to eat. Just eat smaller portions and make it fit into your calorie goals. Foods are not moral or immoral. Pizza is not bad. It is not bad for you. Eating an extra large by yourself every night for dinner might be, though. So please don't feel like you have a very limited list of like "healthy" or "approved" or "good" foods to choose from. Choose from all foods. (Medical issues, triggers, and such aside.)

I'd also take another look at your logging, or at your perceptions of food. Because there's no way you are having "lots of fruits and veg" and ALSO a weight watchers meal, and only getting 500 to 600 cals. As in, you're either not having a LOT of fruits and veg, or you're not logging them properly (and therefore are eating more calories than you think).
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    if you don't have low energy,take a vitamin to supplement your nutrition.I take them whether or not I eat 1200 calories a day, my goal, bc I take them with breakfast.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    edited March 2015

Where are you from? The UK, Ireland, or somewhere which was once part of the British Empire? I'm asking because people might think your tea is just a cup of tea, not a full meal. Is dinner the midday meal and tea the evening meal for you? That's my guess.

Are you losing weight? At that low of an caloric intake, weight loss should be rapid but you might not feel well. It's inadvisable to eat too few calories. Overall, you may be eating more than you think. Do you use a food scale to measure?

(Edited for spelling)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    eat. more.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited March 2015
    fevrale wrote: »

Where are you from? The UK, Ireland, or somewhere which was once part of the British Empire? I'm asking because people might think your tea is just a cup of tea, not a full meal. Is dinner the midday meal and tea the evening meal for you? That's my guess.

Are you losing weight? At that low of an caloric intake, weight loss should be rapid but you might not feel well. It's inadvisable to eat too few calories. Overall, you may be eating more than you think. Do you use a food scale to measure?

(Edited for spelling)
    Yes, she definitely sounds British.
    OP, I don't think you can be logging correctly. Are you weighing your food? If you're eating LOTS of fruit & veg, those calories do add up. A Weight Watchers meal is usually around 300 cals, I think, and if you're eating a dinner too (your tea), the math doesn't quite work.
    If you open your diary it will be a lot clearer.
  • Yeah
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    fevrale wrote: »

(Edited for spelling)
    Yes, she definitely sounds British.
    OP, I don't think you can be logging correctly. Are you weighing your food? If you're eating LOTS of fruit & veg, those calories do add up. A Weight Watchers meal is usually around 300 cals, I think, and if you're eating a dinner too (your tea), the math doesn't quite work.
    If you open your diary it will be a lot clearer.

Yes I'm. British :) tea meaning dinner. I'm eating 1000+ a day but my exercise is giving me extra calories to eat. I really think I'm making a mistake with weighing my tea (dinner) and I will double check and wiegh things lit better tomorrow. Thanks everyone
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    You must be from up North :)

I'm also 5'6 and I gained weight in all my pregnancies. I lost it after my first two and am currently losing after my 3rd. I eat 1500-1600 calories a day and I lose weight.

What fruit do you eat? Fruit actually has quite a few calories in it, but if you want to bump it up, things like peanut butter with an apple/banana is nice. I like banana mixed with natural yogurt and peanut butter.

I walk loads but I don't usually log my walks as I have a Fitbit and I have to admit I don't eat the extra calories it tells me to. In fact, I don't eat exercise calories at all, and I workout a lot (spinning, HIIT, circuits, PT etc).

Even on 1600 calories I'm sometimes hungry in the evening and have to drink a huge cup of tea to fill me up! Not sure how you manage on 700 calories!
  • SummerBushong
    SummerBushong Posts: 1 Member
    I just started using this app. It also says I should be eating "1200 calories a day" but after I exercised it subtracted the 421 calories I burned. Then it wouldn't let me "complete my entry" because I was of course under my calorie intake because I burned them off and didn't eat an extra 421 calories. I can't eat 1600 calories in a day I can barely reach 1200.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Eat more. Your young you should be eating way more then that!! I eat to fuel my body, not when I am hungry or not.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    You don't need to eat 1200 calories per day to lose weight (according to the goals in your profile), MFP probably spit out 1200 to lose 2lbs per week.

At 22 and 5'6", with the weight to lose per your profile, you'll lose on wayyyy more than 1200.