Combating muscle fatigue

Options
what's a good way to avoid or push through muscle fatigue? I've been working on cardio for a good 5 weeks now, 4-5 days a week and started lifting and using weight machines and calisthenics 3-4 times a week. I'm not experiencing mid-workout fatigue, it's more like as soon as I start I just feel rubbery and weak. It's not painful, I'm not experiencing any soreness...it's just like my legs are done before I even start.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, your avatar is way too distracting for me to be able to read your post
  • righty_tighty
    righty_tighty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, your avatar is way too distracting for me to be able to read your post

Thanks, super helpful. (That was sarcastic, much like my avatar, since you seemed to miss it)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Maybe ease up on the frequency of something.

Like lift 3 days, and do cardio for 2 or 3 days.

Are you getting sleep,? And how much of a deficit do you have?
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep hydrated and eat something high protein or have potassium post work out. It seems to help me a lot.
  • beard83flt
    beard83flt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i WAS HAVEING THE SAME ISSUE. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and they set me up with Modern BCAA. It is an amino acid. it has helped me with the fatigue. I have been doing the protein and vitamin sup. for a while and was still getting the rubbery fealing. If you are not doing any protein I would start with that, then try the animos.
  • righty_tighty
    righty_tighty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in!

I'm eating a deficit - I stay around (or under) 1300 calories daily, and maybe twice a week I'll do either a big drop (900 calories) or eat a bit in excess (1500-1600, but I make sure it's healthy eating). As I'm quite overweight, I've been losing 2-3 pounds a week. I'm getting 7-8 hours a night of good sleep, not broken or restless, and drinking 100 ounces of water a day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Thanks, super helpful. (That was sarcastic, much like my avatar, since you seemed to miss it)

You seem cool (do I even need write anything here?)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in!

I'm eating a deficit - I stay around (or under) 1300 calories daily, and maybe twice a week I'll do either a big drop (900 calories) or eat a bit in excess (1500-1600, but I make sure it's healthy eating). As I'm quite overweight, I've been losing 2-3 pounds a week. I'm getting 7-8 hours a night of good sleep, not broken or restless, and drinking 100 ounces of water a day.

Well, there ya go. Huge caloric deficit combined with way too much work (7-9 workouts a week) is pretty much going to run anyone into the ground fast. You gotta take your foot off the gas a little. Less workouts, more food. And more rest.
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I felt more fatigue from lifting heavily and getting too much sleep. I just try to be more focused and happy to help combat it. BUT a huuuuuge part in improving your energy level is to make sure you're getting adequate amounts of your b vitamins. I take the B Complex supplement from the brand, Simply Right. Look for immune-boosting foods that contain vitamin C and zinc...consume more essential fatty acids and magnesium too. So like...fish, nuts, seeds, veggies...lean meats, complex carbs~all the nutritious stuff (:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Thanks for chiming in!

Well, there ya go. Huge caloric deficit combined with way too much work (7-9 workouts a week) is pretty much going to run anyone into the ground fast. You gotta take your foot off the gas a little. Less workouts, more food. And more rest.
    ^
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're eating too little and working out too much

HTH
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You're eating too little and working out too much

HTH

Yep this
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in!

Along with eating more, make sure you get enough protein (and vitamins...). Muscle weakness often suggests mitochondrial autophagy - exercise stress + not enough protein results in a conservative cellular remodeling to reduce energy use. Aka - weak legs.

If you are interested in the science ... This article covers some of the pathways:

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rohit_Sinha3/publication/235353633_Autophagy_and_its_Role_in_Metabolism/links/00b7d5144068237d08000000.pdf

Expect several weeks before recovery, if it's that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hangry OP?