Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to avoid carbs?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why do you avoid them? I eat plenty of carbs, and am down 24kg!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why OP?

I don't avoid carbs at all - for me that would make as much sense as avoiding putting fuel in my car.

They also tend to taste rather good.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    OP, why do you think you need to avoid them? Unless you have a medical condition where carbs are an issue, they're not. Obviously you should be aiming to eat a balanced diet and meet your nutritional requirements, but within those parameters there is no need to limit carbs.

(Whew, did I get all of my disclaimers in there??)
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    mmmm carbs. they're in everything, why avoid them when you can still achieve the same goals? unless you have a health issue like PCOS or something, i think you're good. i managed to lose weight & keep it off and i eat breads & oats & icecream & sweet tea every day :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not trying to avoid carbs, by any means, but I do find that I have to concentrate on getting the protein in first if I want to keep the carbs as low as 45% of my daily intake. But that's how I do it - work on hitting the protein macro first, and then top anything else off with carbs. Because they are everywhere. Just shift focus.

Edited to add: Fat seems to take care of itself. I don't cut that, either, specifically. Once protein is taken care of, everything else just falls into place.
  • smythepatricia90
    smythepatricia90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How do u avoid them!
    I'm not trying to completely avoid carbs. I'm just curious---- because when people come up to me and say "I've lost soooooo much weight by avoiding carbs. it's crazy!
    carbs are in everything!
    "you mean you don't eat?!!"
    That's crazy!
    Just Sayin......
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    How do u avoid them!
    I'm not trying to completely avoid carbs. I'm just curious---- because when people come up to me and say "I've lost soooooo much weight by avoiding carbs. it's crazy!
    carbs are in everything!
    That's crazy!
    Just Sayin......

They must be on an all-meat diet. Meat is the only thing that does not have carbs. As far as I know.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Op your body needs carbohydrates for energy.If your intent is weight loss there is no need to avoid carbs, calorie deficit is all that matters. Eat a variety of nutrient dense foods and do try to hit all your macros.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    How do u avoid them!
    carbs are in everything!
    That's crazy!
    Just Sayin......

They must be on an all-meat diet. Meat is the only thing that does not have carbs. As far as I know.

^This. Perhaps they're trying to avoid processed carbohydrates like white flour, white rice, sugar? Who knows..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How do u avoid them!
    carbs are in everything!
    That's crazy!
    Just Sayin......

I think the most common/likely situation is this:
    • Someone eats however they eat, they gain weight slowly but surely. Eventually they decide to make a change.
    • The decide to reduce carbs. The reasoning is likely bad, but that's a whole nuther thread.
    • Say they cut carbs by 50%, but keep the rest of their diet the same. So whatever they were eating in carbs, they are not eating half that much while everything else stays basically constant.
    • The reduction in carbs yields an overall reduction in total cals. And that's where the weight loss comes from.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    How do u avoid them!
    carbs are in everything!
    That's crazy!
    Just Sayin......

And oils/fats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them. I set a high fiber goal for myself and upped my carb intake. I have found this keeps me full longer than trying to limit carbs.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    They are everywhere - I have a banana sat on my desk right now and very soon it will be in my belly.

By all means reduce your carb intake if it helps you stick to your calorie goal. But there's no need to avoid carbs.