Stupid calorie question..

Options
melg51
melg51 Posts: 37 Member
Hi,

This may be stupid. But am i right or wrong in saying that I can eat how much crap I want a day.. Chocolate and crisps etc, but as long as I'm under my calorie goal (1200) I'll still lose?

I'm not asking because I want to fill up on junk, far from it!.. I am just a little naive when it comes to nutrition and so wanted some opinions!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    melg51 wrote: »
    Hi,

This may be stupid. But am i right or wrong in saying that I can eat how much crap I want a day.. Chocolate and crisps etc, but as long as I'm under my calorie goal (1200) I'll still lose?

I'm not asking because I want to fill up on junk, far from it!.. I am just a little naive when it comes to nutrition and so wanted some opinions!!

Yep
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, it might not be satiating or positive.

From a weight loss perspective, you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    yes, its the one thing calorie counting is based on. Keep it simple. The most common mistake new dieters who cant lose make is that their counts arent accurate, so make sure you weigh your food and log it all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup. But 1200 calories of 'junk' is generally bugger all food and won't fill you up. Plus, weight loss is one thing, hitting vitamin and nutrient goals is another, and that's where the low calorie whole veggies, lean proteins, fruits, dairy and the like come in. I totally fit the things I love into my day, but I'm fulfilled and healthy because I eat for health, not just weight loss.
  • beccam83
    beccam83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you might find that you tend to eat more anyway because those foods aren't very filling. Eating more healthy foods (shoutout to avocado!) can be so good for your skin, hair, sleep, and how well and healthy you feel. So yes, but maybe no at the same time :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, for weight loss it's about the deficit. For nutrition and satiety, thats another story.
  • melg51
    melg51 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am currently on a health kick aiming to lose around 4kgs. I love fruit and veg but love my occasional treat too. I think by restricting myself I crave it more? So maybe allowing a small treat everyday will actually be beneficial, as long as it's in my range!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am currently on a health kick aiming to lose around 4kgs. I love fruit and veg but love my occasional treat too. I think by restricting myself I crave it more? So maybe allowing a small treat everyday will actually be beneficial, as long as it's in my range!

Treats keep us sane!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You have to decide if you are only interested in losing the weight or interested in pursuing health, not just weightloss
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, a calorie is a calorie. Weight loss is achievable if all you want to eat is Twinkies if you watch how many you eat. However, I think it is worth mentioning that those kinds of foods burn fast and often lead to sugar crashes. More nutritional food seems to digest slower (esp. fiber and protein) which keeps you fuller longer. If you can find a good reasonable mix of the two you can lose weight and feel good at the same time. Just a thought!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes BUT doing that as a steady diet won't keep you healthy. You need a well-balanced diet that provides all the macro- and micro-nutrients your body needs. So, if you want to feel sick as a dog, go ahead, but if you want to feel healthy, maintain a nutritious diet. The "Healthy Eating Plate" is a good graphic representation of a healthy diet.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I would bet it will definitely be beneficial.

I also find that redefining treat can be nice too. Like, it does not all have to be lean this and that. Have some steak. Eat the chicken skin. Don't bland out your meals so much that you're left craving something interesting. Try to make at least some of your regular food something you'd genuinely look forward to.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Don't bland out your meals so much that you're left craving something interesting.

^^^THIS^^^

Just because you maintain a healthy diet doesn't mean you are giving up Cool Ranch Doritos for life! Just don't eat whole bags of them several times a week. Leave room in your calories for the healthy stuff. Don't let the unhealthy stuff totally take over.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    You have to decide if you are only interested in losing the weight or interested in pursuing health, not just weightloss

You can be healthy and still work treats into your diet. The two are not mutually exclusive. The OP made it clear she wasn't looking to just fill up on 'junk'.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yup. But 1200 calories of 'junk' is generally bugger all food and won't fill you up. Plus, weight loss is one thing, hitting vitamin and nutrient goals is another, and that's where the low calorie whole veggies, lean proteins, fruits, dairy and the like come in. I totally fit the things I love into my day, but I'm fulfilled and healthy because I eat for health, not just weight loss.

^^^^ this