Can you gain weight without getting fat? Please help

Options
blossomofsnow
blossomofsnow Posts: 21 Member
Hello there, my name is Mikaela. I used to be curvy and juicy and did not appreciate that. I always had a good metabolism, but a couple of years ago I started exercising a lot and eating much more healthier and lost a lot of weight (6.5kg) that I now have difficulty taking back. I'm 165cm and used to be 57kg, when I lost the weight I went as low as 50.5kg. I started trying more intensively to gain back the weight about 2 months ago. Now I'm 54kg and my goal weight is 58-59kg. Although I'm happy in gaining my weight back, I eat a lot of chocolates, junk food and fat in order to achieve that and I'm afraid I'm mostly gaining fast instead of bulk and muscles.

My question is, what is the best way to gain weight without getting fat, is it exercising and a lot of proteins? If so, what kind of exercising, weight lifting? I'm really just trying to bring my curves back, but I already feel like I'm gaining the weight in the worst places, I don't know if the fault is my dieting. I understand that when you gain fat you gain it everywhere, I just want to know if you can just gain it in muscles instead of fat and still have a feminine figure. Is that possible at all?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Replies

• pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    im also trying to gain but want to do it without getting fat build muscle love advice also sick of being told to eat junk!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello there, my name is Mikaela. I used to be curvy and juicy and did not appreciate that. I always had a good metabolism, but a couple of years ago I started exercising a lot and eating much more healthier and lost a lot of weight (6.5kg) that I now have difficulty taking back. I'm 165cm and used to be 57kg, when I lost the weight I went as low as 50.5kg. I started trying more intensively to gain back the weight about 2 months ago. Now I'm 54kg and my goal weight is 58-59kg. Although I'm happy in gaining my weight back, I eat a lot of chocolates, junk food and fat in order to achieve that and I'm afraid I'm mostly gaining fast instead of bulk and muscles.

My question is, what is the best way to gain weight without getting fat, is it exercising and a lot of proteins? If so, what kind of exercising, weight lifting? I'm really just trying to bring my curves back, but I already feel like I'm gaining the weight in the worst places, I don't know if the fault is my dieting. I understand that when you gain fat you gain it everywhere, I just want to know if you can just gain it in muscles instead of fat and still have a feminine figure. Is that possible at all?

Are you currently working out? If you're not doing any sort of strength training then you will just be gaining fat.
  • blossomofsnow
    Options
    Are you currently working out? If you're not doing any sort of strength training then you will just be gaining fat.

Hello there, I'm doing mostly aerobic exercises for about 3 hours per week, not weights. Is this OK?
  • blossomofsnow
    Options
    im also trying to gain but want to do it without getting fat build muscle love advice also sick of being told to eat junk!

Haha I know right? What good is it going to do me getting the weight in pure fat??? I used to be so jealous of people eating whatever they liked and not gaining weight, now seeing how awful and not healthy my skin looks in regards to junk eating I say it's better to be 2-3 kg above than below. At least in the past cellulite and was not a problem!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the answer is no …

your body is not efficient enough to pack on 100% muscle.

typical ratio is 1:1 to so if your gain ten pounds five will be fat and five will be muscle.

my advice.

set MFP to .5 pound per week gain.
    set your macros to 40% carbs;35% protein; 25% fats
    get on a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, etc.
    repeat until you get desired results…

also, calories are king during a bulk….and no this does not mean get 100% of your calories from ice cream, cookies, etc…it does mean that you should be eating nutrient dense foods like chicken, rice, fish, vegetables, steak, and also incorporate high calorie foods to get you in a surplus like bagels, pasta, ice cream, cookies, etc….
  • blossomofsnow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the answer is no …

typical ratio is 1:1 to so if your gain ten pounds five will be fat and five will be muscle.

my advice.

get on a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, etc.

also, calories are king during a bulk….and no this does not mean get 100% of your calories from ice cream, cookies, etc…it does mean that you should be eating nutrient dense foods like chicken, rice, fish, vegetables, steak, and also incorporate high calorie foods to get you in a surplus like bagels, pasta, ice cream, cookies, etc….

God bless you sweetie, this was exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you so much! :blush: I only have two last questions and I will be out of your hair: when you say macros you mean carbohydrates? And the last one, I put in my goals +0.5kg(1 pound)/week, is this too much?
  • blossomofsnow
    Options
    I got what macros are when I went to change my goals :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the answer is no …

my advice.

God bless you sweetie, this was exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you so much! :blush: I only have two last questions and I will be out of your hair: when you say macros you mean carbohydrates? And the last one, I put in my goals +0.5kg(1 pound)/week, is this too much?

yes, carbohydrates are a macro, but so are protein and fats.

No, that is not too much. However, most people recommend .5 pound per week if you want to minimize fat loss. But I would stay with one pound per week gain and see how it goes if you feel that you are putting fat on too fast then cut back to .5 pound per week gain ...
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you eat in a surplus without exercising it doesn't matter if its all carrots. It won't go to the right places. Stay away from cardio bc you'll have to make that up in calories. I'm going to add you so we can motivate each other.
  • blossomofsnow
    Options
    Thank you all for replying and helping me, it means a lot to me!!! @letsgain01‌ i would love that)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    the answer is no …

my advice.

This answer is all you'll ever need!

I will add, try gaining only half a pound a week and see how you look.

Make sure you're really in top of the lifting, because it needs to be good form, and it's going to get heavy quite quickly.

Strong Curves/Bret Contraras for the booty!

• blossomofsnow
    Options
    @Springfield1970‌ thank you very much!! I will do that!!! :)
  • tylerw86008
    Options

• tylerw86008
    Options

• tylerw86008
    Options

. Lift free weights. Squat heavy you will grow muscle weight.

• blossomofsnow
    Options
    @tylerw86008‌ excuse my ignorance, but what are free weights?
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Barbells, dumbbells (stay away from the pink ones;), kettlebells etc. Don't be afraid of the iron.
  • tylerw86008
    Options
    Weights. Like not machines . weights. Lift weights.
  • ryry2169
    ryry2169 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you @blossomofsnow
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Since nobody mentioned it, this works more than once. After you gain some you can go back and cut a few pounds (while still continuing with the strength training) in order to lose some of the fat you gained, and a little of the muscle. But with each bulk/cut cycle (if you keep lifting) you will end up with more muscle and less fat than the last cycle. You can stop the bulk/cut cycles when you reach the body composition that you really want.