Support for fast food addicts

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't get why people actually LIKE the food there. Except the desserts lol.

To me their only benefit is convenience. Other than that I think their food just tastes like *kitten*. I will never understand how mcdonalds gets so much business.

I think McDonald's is yummy... Each to their own, no?
    Yeah eat there all you want, I don't care. I just don't get it. I think there are so many better things to be eating. I do like pepperjax and Panera and some places like that though. The "fast casual" type.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I wasn't addicted to the food so much as how easy it was to obtain. I hated preparing meals or getting my lunch together for work the next day. I hit the drive through 6-7 times a week, sometimes every meal of the day would be fast food. I didn't even think about it for the most part. When I started MFP I had to quit because the food just would not fit into my daily calorie allowance. I still have fast food breakfasts sometimes (I try to limit to once a week), and when I do I try to make little changes to lower the calories (ie removing the cheese from a sandwich). All I can really say to encourage is that it gets easier. It's much more about changing your habits surrounding what you eat, rather than just the food itself. For me it was not eating in my car, and making breakfast/lunch for work the night before.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    If you are 'addicted' seek professional help.

Otherwise, the best way to avoid it is most probably not to buy it.

Not that you need to avoid it, but that's another 10-page thread in itself.

x2
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Buy food at the grocery store, plan your meals, leave your credit and debit cards at home, and always take your meals with you to work. Fast food was always my crutch when I didn't want to cook and didn't have any groceries. Since I make grocery shopping and food prep a huge priority, my fast food consumption has dropped off dramatically, much to the chagrin of my favorite restaurants.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I agree with the "plan ahead" ideas-- go shopping, buy food, plan meals, and make it things you can get excited about so the fast food doesn't seem so enticing, if you really want to quit. But if you make yourself NEVER have it and you like it as much as you seem to, one day you're going to have a weak moment and get 6 big macs and totally go crazy :) My suggestion is to give yourself the option to go some days, but chose a lower-cal option, or whatever option makes it fit into your goal. For instance yesterday I had enough calories for a chick-fil-a sandwich (the original fried goodness) for dinner, which is not typical, so I got one. Just depends on your goals, and you have to plan ahead always!
  • kr15ty_k
    kr15ty_k Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find if I keep fresh food in the house i'm less likely to go out because I have to eat it before it spoils. When there's no food in the house, that's when fast food thoughts come. Home made meals can be really quick to make, especially if you do some prep. Good luck! :)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've eaten fast food about once a week while losing 85 lbs in a year, and now maintaining. The key for me is to never give in to the cravings. If I want some McDonalds, I'm not going to eat it now. I'm going to plan ahead and eat it a few days, when I can plan my daily food and fit it in. It might mean a smaller breakfast and dinner, and hitting the gym, but if you are aware of the calories and are good with portion control, it can fit.
  • jensterk
    jensterk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Stop buying it.

YUPP!!!!
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have not totally given up fast food and have managed to lose weight. Make lighter side choices. Fazoli: Kids pasta with marinara, Zaxby's: grilled chicken breast, Dominos: thin crust pizza with veggies, Sonic: Big Treat-Corn Dog, etc. Just because you are on a "diet" does not mean you have to give it all up.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

To me their only benefit is convenience. Other than that I think their food just tastes like *kitten*. I will never understand how mcdonalds gets so much business.

Yeah eat there all you want, I don't care. I just don't get it. I think there are so many better things to be eating. I do like pepperjax and Panera and some places like that though. The "fast casual" type.

WTF is "Fast Casual"?

Do they have a "Fast Fancy"?
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Not only is it taste but it's cheaper, and more convenient. I wish healthy foods were reasonable priced.

Tasty and convenient yes, but cheaper no. I don't understand when people say that healthy food is expensive. Potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, canned tuna, ground beef, chicken parts, all examples of cheap "healthy" foods. One egg is about 25 cents where I live. I used to eat fast food virtually every weekday lunch, until I replaced it with grocery store convenience foods--for example 85 g can of tuna, $1.09. Individually packaged cheese portions, 50 cents. Apple, 50 cents. Tea from a teabag, 15-25 cents per cup. In-store bakery rolls, 25 cents a piece. Sure, if you replace fast food with ground turkey, boneless skinless chicken breast, fish fillets, out of season strawberries, etc. that gets pricy, but it's not necessary.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fresco menu at Taco Bell can be okay if you forget your lunch at home. I'd rather go to chipotle, but a run to the border happens from time to time. Really just lay off the cheese and mayo and you can typically fit it into macros without trying too hard.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Watch "fat, sick and nearly dead"
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Ah yes a biased documentary.......just left me craving fast food
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ewww. Panera is gross, the very definition of faux-d.

I'd take Mickey D over that any day of the week.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »

Isn't that the one where the guy started juicing and lost a bunch of weight due to the VLCD, but then when he started eating normal again he gained all the weight back?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    If you are 'addicted' seek professional help.

Otherwise, the best way to avoid it is most probably not to buy it.

Not that you need to avoid it, but that's another 10-page thread in itself.

Yep.
  • ljohns1355
    Options
    Everyone above has great advice. One other thing that might help, go inside to order your food; watch how they prep it, that might help you not want to eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is fast food, ood that is cooked fast or because you can pick it up fast (off the food line that has dozens of prepared hamburgers/fries) ready to be thrown at you as you drive trough the window?

Be sensible and choose what you want to eat. For starters you can loose weight eating this so called fast food!! If you like it, keep eating it! YOU MUST EAT WHAT YOU ENJOY or this equals FAILURE...

You decide if you are over indulging and making choices that are not right for yourself... Be accountable.

Personally I love me any food that is thrown at me as I drive through the window... I count these calories even though it is 75% of my day..

Do what you want!!!
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Grilled chicken sandwiches/wraps tend to be decent options at fast food places.
    DataSeven wrote: »
    I hit the drive through 6-7 times a week, sometimes every meal of the day would be fast food.

As someone who doesn't cook, I'm right there with you about getting the urge to eat fast food all day. The problem is it's hard to do that and stay within a reasonable amount of calories without also going hungry (unless you get bread-less and sauce-less chicken sandwiches).

Also, yeah, those biased fast food documentaries bother me. Sure, I guess some people do make really poor food choices at fast food places, but what's the point of the documentary? We are responsible for the choices we make. Should healthier options be available in restaurants? Absolutely, but don't try and tell me McDonald's is responsible for my health. Some people always want to play the victim. I'm more interested in seeing a documentary on if it's possible to maintain a healthy diet from mostly eating fast food.