Your denial and excuses story

Options
judiness101
judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
One of the things that fascinates me about weight and fitness condition is how much in denial we can be.

I think a lot of us went through that path and used excuses, twisted "fatlogic" (starvation mode, low blood sugar, I eat 800 calories and do not lose weight...) or we are in plain denial.

At your worst, did you see yourself as obese/unfit?
What were your go to excuses to be that way?
What popular myths were your go to?

Replies

• emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always knew I was big, and I never really made excuses for that. I knew I ate a lot of food and I was logical enough about it to know that that was why I was fat. At the beginning of university, I was 220 pounds on a 5'6" frame. I didn't need a wake-up call to know I wasn't healthy.

I TOTALLY believed the starvation mode thing once I started dieting, though. I would put myself on a restrictive 1200 calorie/day diet (or so I thought), lose a bunch of weight, and then stall. And at that point, I was so sick of eating nothing but lettuce and bran flakes, so I'd tell myself that I needed to "boost" my metabolism by eating lots and lots of high fat food for a few days. Which would turn into a few weeks, then a few months, and then I'd be back almost to where I started, and would start the whole process over again.
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a substance abuse therapist so I tend to think of this as similar to relapse "justifications". The things that people tell themselves in order to make them think it is ok to drink or use drugs.

So mine for food were things like, "it's a special occasion so I can have this 1/2 a cake". Or "look at all these other people eating junk food and they're thin-I should be able to eat junk food too". Or " I'm getting old- it's normal for people to pick up weight when they are old". Or even, "I'll start watching what I eat tomorrow, on Monday, or next week". Or "I've had three kids!" I've got a million of them.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    at my biggest i didn't own a scale. all my girlfriends were on the heavy side and i was still probably the smallest...so it was easy to say i was ok. then i wen't on a scale...and at 215 i realized i was no where near ok. i had been stalled at 170 for a few years now. self induced stall i was no longer trying, but i wouldn't allow myself to get over 175. it was easy at this point to say oh im so much better than i was, or im healthier than i was, im pretty good. finally i kicked myself in the butt and say why settle for something less than the best i can be? and now i am at 160 and determined to get to a healthy bmi. anything past that is bonus!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I still have trouble with fat denial and have a variety of things I tell myself to reinforce it. I don't feel fat. I don't have any health problems. My clothes are in the single digits. I'm not weak or frail and I don't have problems with physical work. I look pretty darn good for a grandma. Women my age just naturally weigh more than when they were younger. And on and on.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    When I got rid of the excuses/lies that I told myself, I started losing weight:

-"I carry the weight well. No one ever thinks that I weigh as much as I do."
    - "I have a large frame" (actually I might, I really don't know. It's still not an excuse for me to be over 200lbs on a 5'3" frame, no matter the size)
    - "I was never thin when I was a teen, so its impossible for me to do it now" <-- this was the biggest thing that stood in my way
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I was never in denial about my weight. I always knew I was chubby, but I just didn't care enough to do something about it.

A weird situation sparked my motivation to lose weight.

I met my half-sister, and she looked stunning! She was in great shape. I figured, that if she is related to me, then there is no reason why I can't look like her.

Fast forward 2,5 years, 22 kilos down, and we pretty much have the same body right now. I'm just a little more skinnyfat than I would like to be, which is why my new goal right now is to lower my bodyfat % and build some muscle.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I was never in denial. For the majority of my adult life I've been pretty average, but when I hit 37/38 I started packing on the pounds and not being very active. I was trying to be one of those "Real women have curves" type of women and was acting like my thickness didn't bother me when it really did.

I saw a photo of myself when my son graduated high school and I was moritifed and decided that "real women" can be healthy and fit too.

65 pounds down and only 6 pounds away from my high school weight ;)
  • duchessmellie
    duchessmellie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was depressed I didn't realize how much weight I put on. My biggest excuse was that I didn't have time to workout. Also, in my teens and early 20's I was bulimic. I was afraid if I started watching what I eat that I would revert to my binge/ purging habits.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't so much a straight out denial as it was a round about one. I got to my heaviest (almost 200 on a 5'3 petite frame) when I was 9 months prego with my daughter. Everyone tells you how easy it is to lose while bfing...I lost 30 lbs right out of the hospital then gained back 10 in 6 months while bfing! My main thing I'd tell myself was that I didn't understand how I wasn't losing weight. I'm pretty sure I was being purposefully blind to what I was eating. Then I started using mfp and lost 40 lbs in 2 years. Now it's happened again over this winter where I was 20ish away from my goal and I've gained almost 6 lbs since nov, but again I've willfully turned the blind eye! Now I've actually opened and started using my food scale and I'm ready to finish this before baby #2 at the end of this summer. I want to be a good example for my little bubs so she doesn't deal with the internal and external weight struggles I have.
    And btw, awesome thread! It's very comforting seeing I'm not the only one who struggles the internal weight battle.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    One of the things that fascinates me about weight and fitness condition is how much in denial we can be.

I think a lot of us went through that path and used excuses, twisted "fatlogic" (starvation mode, low blood sugar, I eat 800 calories and do not lose weight...) or we are in plain denial.

Low blood sugar is twisted fatlogic/an excuse??
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh and FYI, not currently pregnant. Hoping to get pregnant with #2 at the end of the summer
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Not for people with an actual condition like hypoglycemia or diabetes, but some people use that as an excuse for the constant snacking.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Not for people with an actual condition like hypoglycemia or diabetes, but some people use that as an excuse for the constant snacking.

This. My husband snacks all the time and claims he needs to due to blood sugar. He doesn't, he just likes to snack.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

haha. ok. i was going to say..i guess hypoglycemia was my excuse. :)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

I actually have low blood pressure. Which also means I need to eat often just like low blood sugar. That doesn't mean I can overeat. I used to snack on candy and soda. My snacks are now small, and they don't break my calorie bank.

Well,

They should be.

But I don't like snacking anymore.

Don't tell my doctor. Lol.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

This. My husband snacks all the time and claims he needs to due to blood sugar. He doesn't, he just likes to snack.

Hmmmm. Are we married to the same man? Bigamist jerk. ;)

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I don't make excuses for anything. I simply own it. If I overeat I'll beat myself up about it and get angry with myself but I don't attribute that to anything but my overeating, that's it. Why? because I over ate! Plain and simple. Not because it was my birthday or because of stress or because food was jammed down my throat but simply because I ate too much. That's the reason why I gain weight.....period.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    At your worst, did you see yourself as obese/unfit? Yep
    What were your go to excuses to be that way? I didn't have any excuses. I just didn't really care.
    What popular myths were your go to? None. This is my first time trying to lose weight. I kept an open mind, read a lot of stuff and asked a lot of questions.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    no - I knew I was overweight. But I wasn't concerned about it. My excuses? I was happy with who I was, my health was good. Which is true - I'm fortunate that my cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. has always been good. But ultimately I figured out I wasn't so happy with Me - in terms of what I could/couldn't do. I didn't like being worn out from little bursts of activity. Did not like getting major thigh rub burn walking around a water park for a summer afternoon either!

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    oh and p.s. as far as denial, my family and friends do not think I'm fat at all. In fact they wonder why I'm constantly counting calories and concerned about what I eat. I could easily use that to deny my weight. At the end of the day I'm the one who does not feel good naked in front of a mirror. So no, I've never been in denial either.