7 pound skyrocket overnight

Options
Hey looking for help. Can anyone explain to me why over night I could gain 7 pounds? My eating has been stable, I log everything. Couple things that might have caused it but I'm uncertain - Home for the summer so my caloric intake a slightly higher, stopped drinking somewhere around 8 diet cokes a day and only drinking water and I've started yoga everyday again. I'll be the first to admit I shouldn't be weighing myself everyday (it's kinda a bad habit when I get anxious about my weight). Any theories would really help me ease my mind.

Replies

• dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    Not to be too forward, but could it be related to that TOM. Water retention can be crazy during TOm and ovulation. Sorry lol.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It would be nearly impossible to actually gain 7 lbs in a day. My guess is you might be retaining water, or it's getting close to that TOM. Or both. I'd suggest increasing how much water you drink every day and not weighing yourself during that TOM. And also watch your sodium intake.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    prob just water weight you would have to eat 24500 cals to gain 7 pounds for real
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a TOM thing to me, too. I gained 6 lbs the day before my period started last month then the dropped off after TOM was over. I would recommend only weighing weekly and not daily so those fluctuations don't discourage you. Keep drinking that water and watch the salt intake! You are doing great!!!
  • rachmatt
    rachmatt Posts: 28
    Options
    It can also be you ate a lot of sodium. I know I seem to gain weight whenever I eat salty food such as Japanese food. And it wasn't 2 or 3 pounds, it was 5 as well. Just drink lots of water... or it can be simply that you're gaining muscle too. Don't give up.
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    Sounds like a TOM thing to me, too. I gained 6 lbs the day before my period started last month then the dropped off after TOM was over. I would recommend only weighing weekly and not daily so those fluctuations don't discourage you. Keep drinking that water and watch the salt intake! You are doing great!!!

I agree!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself on a different scale and compare the numbers. I have a digital Weight Watcher scale and I get one number if I step first with my right foot than if I decide to step on with my left foot first. I've gotten a new battery and try to keep the scale in the same spot on the bathroom floor but the number on the scale can change 4 times in one morning. I've given up on it being reliable and pulled out my good old fashioned (no battery needed) bathroom scale.
  • amsecord
    amsecord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is your scale calibrated properly? I use a digital scale which periodically freaks out and has to be reset. Analog scales usually have to be zeroed sometimes too.
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    Thanks guys. It actually explains a lot. From now on I'll make sure to keep my eye on not being so mentally harsh on myself during TOM. <3
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium/salt intake? I recommend 1500 mg per day and it makes a BIG difference. If you sodium if off therefore a weight gain.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    prob just water weight you would have to eat 24500 cals to gain 7 pounds for real

I bet you I could hit that with pizza rolls! =) lol
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you would also want to weigh yourself at the same time in the morning.
  • inocente1
    inocente1 Posts: 2
    Options
    according to my scale i gained 5 pounds, but i am sure that it is water weight, because it is not possible
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    I do own a digital weight watchers scale. Is there a way to recalibrate it? Just in case.
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    Weigh yourself on a different scale and compare the numbers. I have a digital Weight Watcher scale and I get one number if I step first with my right foot than if I decide to step on with my left foot first. I've gotten a new battery and try to keep the scale in the same spot on the bathroom floor but the number on the scale can change 4 times in one morning. I've given up on it being reliable and pulled out my good old fashioned (no battery needed) bathroom scale.

EXACTLY what has been happening to me with my digital WW scale and it's driving me insane! Maybe I should get rid of it too...

To the OP I think just keep doing what you're doing as it's either a TOM issue and/or a salt issue. Also well done for giving up the Diet Cokes, that's super hard to do :)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Will have to do a little research and see if it has a reset button. I might still have the original box and will look for a customer service phone number for us to use (for assistance, or to complain and get our money back, etc)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Do you (um) #2, regularly?
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    lol yes