Not sure why friends care what you eat

Options
That's one of the unfortunate realities when you're watching your food intake. Friends will always insist that when you're out with them that you eat something, even if you already ate a meal. In fact one of my friends got offended when I only had water once time. He said that as a common courtesy you should always get something so that the other person doesn't look stupid.

Another reality is that sometimes friends want to split the bill with others and order a pizza or something, but they can't eat it all by themselves so they want others to chip in. Heck some go as far to say that if you're working out you need all the carbs and protein so that you stay strong, lol.

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've experienced all of those as well. What I never understood is how am I offending someone if I don't order something? Sometimes I'm not hungry, so why should I pay money for food that I'm not going to eat?
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Like you said, it's because they don't want to look stupid. I always just say that I am doing what I feel is best for my health and my family, so if you cannot accept that, then it's not really my issue. It's all about them seeing you make positive changes for yourself, feeling bad about not doing it themselves, and trying to drag you back down. If they can't get it and continue to give you crap, maybe they're not as good of a friend as you think. In my opinion, a really good friend is supportive, especially when I'm making difficult life changes that are going to better me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Because love.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Solution: Order something and have it brought to you in a to-go box. Eat it later in whatever portions fit your macros. Boom!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    that's part of the beauty of being hard of hearing...in loud restaurants, I hear 5% of what people say...the other 95, I'm stuffing my face. Just nod and smile, and say 'What!??" about 8,000 times, and they'll just give up adding you in the convo altogether..
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You seem to have friends that care in the "wrong way". Instead of forcing or encouraging you to do something contrary to your goals, they should be supportive and understanding!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    You need better friends then......My friends never say anything about what I eat
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    More often I've had the opposite problem. People who know I'm tracking calories/working out will see me eating something they don't see as "diet food" and say "Are you supposed to be eating that?" or "Oh, there goes the diet, huh?" Pfffttt, they wish.

B)
  • meowmixmastah
    meowmixmastah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    More often I've had the opposite problem. People who know I'm tracking calories/working out will see me eating something they don't see as "diet food" and say "Are you supposed to be eating that?" or "Oh, there goes the diet, huh?" Pfffttt, they wish.

B)

My experience as well.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about looking at peoples diaries.
    If I want water I drink water. If I dont eat them Im sure as hell not splitting the bill. Id normally have told them why I was doing x, but then id expect them to respect that. Od laugh if they tried to change my mind either way.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just say oh sorry, you're right. Then I just do my thing anyway and I don't hear another peep out of them.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about peoples diaries as well.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    None of my friends are that annoying.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »

B)

My experience as well.

This!!! It also bothers me so much when I decline a treat and they say "Oh, you can't have it on your diet?" Umm, no, I CAN have anything I want. I CHOOSE to enjoy it in moderation. TODAY is not the day to enjoy [treat I am currently declining]. I usually just say "not today".
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see myself being a little put off if I made plans with a friend to go out to lunch or (worse) dinner and when we got to the restaurant, that person had already eaten and just drank water while I had a meal. Yes, it would make me feel awkward and a little annoyed that now I'm hungry and have to spend money to eat when we could have both eaten at home and then done some other activity together.

Perhaps the next time you are invited out, you can try suggesting an alternative activity, like taking a walk in a park. That way your friend doesn't expect that you will be lunching together, only to find him/herself eating while you watch.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh, you're speaking my language! lol I have ordered water once at the bar when out for a friends birthday while everyone was consuming massive quantities of junk. I "blamed" it on Lent. Thank God for Lent!!!

Ultimately, you know what your body needs! Stay strong!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    You need better friends then......My friends never say anything about what I eat

Bam!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Why would you go out to lunch with someone if you don't plan on eating?
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Depends on the situation. I would HATE going out to eat and the other person eats beforehand or doesn't eat. I think it's rude. What is the point of going out to eat *specifically* and not eating??

If it isn't plans to eat, then I don't care. Eat or not. If I am hungry and don't get anything because you don't want to, that's my problem because these plans were NOT made for going out to eat - just going out.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Because eating out is a social activity, engaging or not engaging in it does affect others