ISO: exercises to get rid of fat on hips (muffin top)

Options
got2bfitmom
got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking for exercises to get rid of the fat on my sides .

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Can't use exercise to directly reduce any area of the body. Fat is lost systematically and overall fat percentage will reduce "love handles/muffin tops".
    If that place is reducing slower than others, it's due to genetics. And you can't change your genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and cardio. You can't "tone" excess fat.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    Ok
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Can't use exercise to directly reduce any area of the body. Fat is lost systematically and overall fat percentage will reduce "love handles/muffin tops".
    If that place is reducing slower than others, it's due to genetics. And you can't change your genetics.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if my fat seems to concentrate in my belly and hips is just genetics and I can't do anything to help me lose weight specifically there?
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    correct. You can do specific exercises to tone the muscles in a certain area but you cannot do anything to reduce fat in any specific area. Just calorie deficit for weight loss will remove it eventually.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if my fat seems to concentrate in my belly and hips is just genetics and I can't do anything to help me lose weight specifically there?

Unfortunately no. All you can ever target is the muscle under it. This will not make you lose fat there any faster, but it will make you look firmer when you lose the fat.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    Thanks! If you don't ask you will never know . Learn something new all the time !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Other than surgery (liposuction) then no.
    There are people out there who hold it in their mid section, some on their lower body and some on their "rears". Each person will have their challenging area. Usually the last place you reduce fat down to lean levels will also be the first place you gain it if you over consume on a consistent basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• got2bfitmom
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Other than surgery (liposuction) then no.
    There are people out there who hold it in their mid section, some on their lower body and some on their "rears". Each person will have their challenging area. Usually the last place you reduce fat down to lean levels will also be the first place you gain it if you over consume on a consistent basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well that kinda sucks haha I show most of my weight in my face and belly .
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Looking for exercises to get rid of the fat on my sides .

eat less, move more.

I should write a book about it.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    What did that say^^^
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Not sure what that said
    I use the FIRM. I find the moves to make.me appear tighter and more firm in the hips thighs and waist.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    Obviously something not very nice I guess hmm whatever. All I was wondering was if there specific exercise to target those areas but I understand what everyone else told me. You can tone those areas once you lose the fat. Losing fat is all over . Cardio is going be my new best friend
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Obviously something not very nice I guess hmm whatever. All I was wondering was if there specific exercise to target those areas but I understand what everyone else told me. You can tone those areas once you lose the fat. Losing fat is all over . Cardio is going be my new best friend

If you strength train as you lose, you will maintain more of your muscle. (When we lose weight, our bodies actually break down fat AND muscle for the energy it isn't getting from food.) So if you're doing cardio, either also do strength, or do some routines that are a combo (like bodyweight exercises that are at a pace that keeps your heart rate up).

And although everyone here is correct -- you cannot spot reduce fat, and you won't see the muscle if it's buried under fat -- it can still feel really nice to feel strong underneath. Maybe you don't like your sides, but you'd probably still enjoy being able to flex them easily and being able to hold a side plank, etc.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options

If you strength train as you lose, you will maintain more of your muscle. (When we lose weight, our bodies actually break down fat AND muscle for the energy it isn't getting from food.) So if you're doing cardio, either also do strength, or do some routines that are a combo (like bodyweight exercises that are at a pace that keeps your heart rate up).

And although everyone here is correct -- you cannot spot reduce fat, and you won't see the muscle if it's buried under fat -- it can still feel really nice to feel strong underneath. Maybe you don't like your sides, but you'd probably still enjoy being able to flex them easily and being able to hold a side plank, etc.

Yes!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can build lean muscle by targeting those areas with strength exercises, which will help with their appearance as you continue to slim down.