Counting veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I calculated 150 for 1 cup. Fair enougb.

There's no way 1 cup of mixed veggies is 150 calories...not broccoli, onion, and zucchini anyway. I eat a massive garden salad pretty much everyday and I've weighed everything out and it clocks in around 50ish calories...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Take an educated guess. Do you really want to weigh five or more different things in your salad? That is not living life.

Worry about the number of calories in mushrooms? Or onions? Really?

Yup. They really add up. It's not about living life, it's about reaching your goals. When you're preparing recipes, you could easily add quite a few calories worth of mushrooms or onions to a recipe. I certainly do.

You know, some of us are on very few calories because of our height or our age. Some people come on here wondering why they don't lose. Soooooo many problems could be avoided if people would simply weigh all their food and know exactly (insofar as that's possible) how many calories they are eating.

Weigh your vegetables. They have calories.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    1. Put a measuring scale next to your cutting board
    2. Put a bowl on your scale.
    3. Tare the scale
    4. Grab a tablet and pencil, bring it to the kitchen
    5. Prep your first veggie, add it to the bowl. Note the weight on the tablet. Tare the scale.
    6. Prep your second veggie, add it to the bowl. Note the weight on the tablet. Tare the scale.
    7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 as needed until all veggies in your vegetable mix are prepped.
    8. Enter your veggie mix into the MFP recipe builder, adding any oil used in cooking.

Also, if you weigh the entire dish of food in grams and divide it into however many servings you put into the recipe builder, then enter the recipe name and nutrition information in grams under "My Foods," you will be even more accurate with the servings. I figured this out a few months back.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    For higher calorie items it's worth the extra work to be super accurate. For low cal items like nonstarchy vegetables I don't mind being off by a couple calories to save work. I would probably look up "1 cup mixed vegetables" and leave it at that. I know it's not absolute perfection but I lost 30 lb using my logging method.... up to you really.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I manage to have plenty of time for living my life before and after my vegetables are weighed...

All that life living is a lot more fun when you look
    <--- like this

and feel like this
    baby-dancing-eric-zow-o.gif
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale and the recipe builder for everything that combines more than a few ingredients. I even use it for a dog-cookie recipe so I could calculate the calories in the doggies' treats. (They're REAL good dogs, so they get a lot of cookies.)

You could just assume 40 calories and add them as quick calories, but without being able to specify what they are, you won't see their fiber, vitamins and minerals in your report, if that's important to you.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    So, last night I made a new batch of soup. So I put it in the recipe builder, it came out to 32 calories per 1 cup serving! I was calculating 150 calories! HA! I'm excited now and I'm having a cup before each meal.