Get Away from that Scale!!!!

Options
O.K., I understand that we need to weigh ourselves to see if we are maintaining, or to see if weight is coming off, but seriously, stay away from that scale! Your weight fluctuates, if you are a woman, it can fluctuate alot! You can see a very large difference at different times of the day, parts of the week, or the dreaded TOM. Weighing yourself obsessively is not good for you. It can actually have detrimental effects to your dieting program. Weigh yourself on the same day, same time of day, same amount (or lack of) clothing. You will get a much better view of how your weight loss is tracking. Doesn't it drive you insane to see the numbers bounce all over the scale?

Replies

• sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just posted about my addiction this morning. I've giving up my scale for 10 days and challanged others to do teh same with me - turns out, I'm far from alone in my addiction!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week (Monday).

I am SERIOUSLY fighting the urge to go weigh myself right now. Idk what it is about Fridays, but I just always want to weigh.
  • jscimeca
    jscimeca Posts: 66
    Options
    I agree! I only weigh myself once a week, same time and same clothing...... It's a much more accurate indication of what amount of weight you are losing/gaining:(
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You're not alone... I'm obsessed weighing myself too!
  • Leanitra
    Leanitra Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for this because I am a scale NUT! Yes, my weigh bounces up and down and all around. You think, well it was this number yesterday and now its this number and I know that I havent eaten much out of the normal. I now know when alot of my weight is lost. I usually weight myself on a Tuesday and I see the different and feel the difference when I do so. So thanks for the advice because I was so pondering as to why it changes so much.
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    agreed!!! i started doing it every other day now every morning and its annoying!
  • ladyjade68
    ladyjade68 Posts: 56
    Options
    I never even owned a scale until about 3 weeks ago. I only weight myself on Tuesday morning (in the buff!). I try to go mostly by how my clothes fit, and these jeans are feeling pretty loose today!
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a scale addict...I need to reform because I get infuriated when I eat well and then weigh more
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I recommend measuring once every 2 weeks. No scale needed.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i NEVER weigh myself. I'm terrified of the scale. it seriously makes me lose motivation completely.
  • marydee72
    marydee72 Posts: 51
    Options
    OH MY LORD,
    TRUST ME, you are NOT alone!!!! I weigh myself every freakin time I go to the gym. I don't want to but I always end up doing it!

I will join you in that challenge!

I commit to you all, that I will only allow my trainer to weigh me once a month. I commit to NOT getting on the scale.

I am due for another weigh next week (I think) I am not looking forward to it. I am the type of person that needs to see the numbers drop a lot or I convince myself I am not succeeding. But I know I am. I feel better than I ever have!!!

Thank you for the challenge~! Great idea!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    It actualy dosn't drive me crazy to see the numbers go up and down throughout the day. I know it is normal. It is actually helpfull for me to weigh every day. It keeps me on track. If you are someone who gets crazy about the scale then, yes, you should stay away and just measure. If it helps you stay on track and you arn't obsessive about it, then by all means weigh away! You should do what's right for you, only you know what that is!!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    PS, do measurements at least 2 times for accuracy. Measure everything, then do it again.
  • Leanitra
    Leanitra Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow, 10 whole days! I don't know if I can do that but I will try. Help me Jesus! I would just like to say: Hi, my name is NeeNee and I am addicted to weighting myself on a scale! LOL...:embarassed:
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do have an obsession with the scal e as well. I have to stop because it ruins my day since it is often up instead of down. This morning....(OK UGLY TRUTH) I got up at 5am to do my run and weighed myslef and I was so discouraged I ahd gained two pounds that I went back to bed....I know, AWFUL :blushing:

I think I need a break from my scal and just concentrate on my eating for a bit.

I will not weight myself until next Friday....wow thats a long time for me who usuallys weights in more then once a day. THANKS LADIES!! Wish me luck! :frown:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Agreed!

Also, want to mention that "ideal weight" is really a range...not an absolute number .....and that is a difficult idea to wrap our brains around, but we need to - it is part of this journey right?!

Fluctuations are normal and actually a GOOD thing....it tells us our body is functioning......think about it :love:
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I recommend measuring once every 2 weeks. No scale needed.

I was going to write the same thing. YOU ARE NOT DEFINED BY A NUMBER!

Focus more on how your clothes are fitting or how you can push yourself a little harder each time you work out or how you picked fruit for a snack instead of a candy bar. These little signs are so much more telling of how healthy you are becoming!
  • ashreffler
    ashreffler Posts: 8
    Options
    Exactly what I needed to hear today! I know it's bad to weigh everyday, but when the scale is sitting there in the corner calling my name, it's hard to say no. Good thing is, I am moving this weekend and have no idea where my scale is at.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Put me in scale rehab! My scale is sitting right next to me. I putting it in the closet until next Friday! This madness has to end!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I refuse to own a scale. I can see progress by how my clothes fit and by the improved muscle definition.