My BMR is 1255. isn't it too low for a 29 yr old?

Options
lapriya
lapriya Posts: 32 Member
In body analysis showed by BMR as 1255. Do you think its very low? How can I increase my BMR?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Where or what calculator did you use?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    how tall and heavy are you?

your BMR is not important - your TDEE is

move more / workout more
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No. I have the same BMR. Like rabbit said, your TDEE is more important when it comes to determining how many calories you can consume.
  • lapriya
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    lapriya wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs.

Recalculate. I'm 5'4" 120 lbs and my BMR is 1256.
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    use this

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

BMR: 1550
    TDEE at sedentary 1860
  • lapriya
    Options
    Not a calculator. I got this from in body analysis m/n at my gym.
    So the more active I am on a day(other than work out), I should be fine?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My BMR was tested by a nutritionist using one of those face masks. Technically, I believe it's RMR, but it's taken first thing in the morning after fasting and no exercise. I'm 5'5", 130 lbs, and it came out to 1300.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    what's body analysis m/n at your gym?

whatever it is it spewed out a weird number for someone your age, weight and height

what's your objective?
  • lapriya
    Options
    I am looking for losing weight. And its getting tougher and tougher to lose any more by now.

That m/c at my gym, I m really not sure what u call it but that was calculated in the morning, fasting and I have to step on that and hold a handle like thing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    29YO female with her height and weight using iifym.com calculator are much higher then 1255. BMR is part of TDEE and it is the greatest contributor to the TDEE number. Even above 40% BF(body fat) the BMR number is still higher then 1255.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs.

ha! Me too :) I'm also going to be 32 in July. copycat. :smile:
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs.

ha! Me too :) I'm also going to be 32 in July. copycat. :smile:

I just turned 32 in january
  • lapriya
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    29YO female with her height and weight using iifym.com calculator are much higher then 1255. BMR is part of TDEE and it is the greatest contributor to the TDEE number. Even above 40% BF(body fat) the BMR number is still higher then 1255.

So as body fat goes down, BMR will improve?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I am looking for losing weight. And its getting tougher and tougher to lose any more by now.

That m/c at my gym, I m really not sure what u call it but that was calculated in the morning, fasting and I have to step on that and hold a handle like thing.

Generally BMR (again actually RMR) is measured with something that will measure the gases you exhale. The Bodygem is an example of this where you breath through a mask, and based on the measurements of how you are using oxygen it calculates your RMR. If all you did was hold onto a bar, it is likely that the measurement is using bio-electrical impedance to determine lean body mass, and then bases the BMR number on that. Frankly, this approach to measuring body composition is wildly inaccurate, not even being reliably accurate from measurement to measurement. In light of that, assuming I am reading what you did correctly, I would take that BMR number with a grain of salt. It is probably not very accurate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Not a calculator. I got this from in body analysis m/n at my gym.
    So the more active I am on a day(other than work out), I should be fine?

Your BMR is just the calories you burn by merely existing. It isn't you maintenance calories or anything...you "burn" BMR calories if you were in a coma. You burn more calories simply by way of crawling out of bed and doing your daily...then exercise, etc.

Example...my BMR is around 1760...my TDEE is more like 2,800-3,000.

Also keep in mind that formulas that only use your lean mass or a body analysis like you had done are more accurate than calculators the use your whole body weight...this is because you don't need to fuel your fat, you need only fuel your lean mass (muscle, organs, etc).

To improve your BMR you would have to add muscle mass...but again, BMR isn't the overly important number here, your TDEE is.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I used the same type of machine. I got 1337. I am glad that other people have low numbers too. My original thought was "Holy Cow, I am glad I can exercise."
  • lapriya
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys for this much info. Pls help me break it further
    BMR - 1255 cals means my daily intake can't go below this
    TDEE - I lead a sedentary life. 9 hrs Desk job. Online calculators show me around 1650 cals
    Exercise - I make it to gym atlst 5 days a week. Some days i burn 700-800 cals. If i take an avg, i burn around 500 cals daily. Taking into account that machines scales are not accurate, I will consider half of it ie 250 cals daily.

A calorie intake of 1400-1500 should be my daily goal to keep losing weight at .5 lbs per week rate?till I find some way to up my TDEE.