Not sure why friends care what you eat

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Am I the only person who has never gone out with a group that split the bill evenly? I think this must be because the people I dine out with the most (outside of family) are all accountants.

My friends generally don't say much about what I am eating or not eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    That's one of the unfortunate realities when you're watching your food intake. Friends will always insist that when you're out with them that you eat something, even if you already ate a meal. In fact one of my friends got offended when I only had water once time. He said that as a common courtesy you should always get something so that the other person doesn't look stupid.

Another reality is that sometimes friends want to split the bill with others and order a pizza or something, but they can't eat it all by themselves so they want others to chip in. Heck some go as far to say that if you're working out you need all the carbs and protein so that you stay strong, lol.

to be fair, if i had agreed to go out for food with a friend and then they didnt order anything i would find that a bit ridiculous. why not just say 'yeah i'll meet you but i'll already have eaten', that is common courtesy to me. i wouldnt feel stupid ordering on my own though.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    kelfran1 wrote: »
    Well, I can see myself being a little put off if I made plans with a friend to go out to lunch or (worse) dinner and when we got to the restaurant, that person had already eaten and just drank water while I had a meal. Yes, it would make me feel awkward and a little annoyed that now I'm hungry and have to spend money to eat when we could have both eaten at home and then done some other activity together.

Perhaps the next time you are invited out, you can try suggesting an alternative activity, like taking a walk in a park. That way your friend doesn't expect that you will be lunching together, only to find him/herself eating while you watch.

I agree. If I am joining a group of friends for dinner, then I feel fine not ordering food. But if I am one-on-one with a friend, I feel it is rude not to order anything. Usually though, if a friend wants to get dinner, I'll suggest drinks instead (can always order a diet soda or a glass of wine on occasion). Or I'll just explain that I'm going to eat beforehand, so perhaps we can sit at the bar and order drinks and appetizers.
  • GodlessHeathen
    GodlessHeathen Posts: 27 Member
    My friends don't give a crap what i eat
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    My friends don't give a crap what i eat

Generally this, but I do find simple responses work pretty well, without making anyone else feel stupid or alienating me.

I mean it's pretty obvious to everyone that I've lost a LOT of weight, so most comments (positive, negative and everything in between) generally get greeted with a quiet smile and that's about it. I usually change the subject when people talk about weight and fitness, because I only know about my own experiences so I'm really not the best to ask for advice and I sure don't want to hear the great long litany of everyone else's tortuous diet experiences (I don't tell them about mine). I eat what I want, when I want to, and if I don't want something a quick "no thank you" (accompanied by a smile) works. If they insist, I just repeat (with a slightly more strained smile or even an eye-roll). On the other hand, if someone starts apologizing for wanting dessert, I give them the confused look which implies I think they're stupid for feeling guilt/apologizing (happens quite often, even though I've never really been one for desserts even at my largest).
  • TannerBoyl
    TannerBoyl Posts: 55 Member
    I was raised to believe that food was a celebration. When something good would happen, we would congregate and enjoy food and the company of friends. I would associate food with fellowship.

Some people associate food and friendship. Some people feel offended if you do not partake in their festivities; like it is a rejection of their friendship.

When my friends go out, I try to make good choices. While I'm not perfect and have fallen victim to the occasional pitcher of beer or (cough) half a pizza. I try to make healthier choices, but still enjoy myself. If I don't want to eat, I will politely decline. If they press the subject, I'll let them know why. Most understand. Some don't. If they're friends of yours they'll understand even though they still give you the business.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    bgorum wrote: »
    More often I've had the opposite problem. People who know I'm tracking calories/working out will see me eating something they don't see as "diet food" and say "Are you supposed to be eating that?" or "Oh, there goes the diet, huh?" Pfffttt, they wish.

B)

This has been my experience as well. And yes, sometimes, they do wish. I have encountered a few people (not friends, mostly co-workers) who would never admit it, but don't want me to succeed. One woman--a tiny bit of a thing, not overweight at all--was constantly pushing food on me. Finally I just said, "Don't worry...no matter how much I lose, I'll never be as small as you". (She is very petite; it would be unhealthy for me to weigh what she weighs). She stopped with the food pushing after that, and I thought, "Maybe she felt threatened? Maybe she wants to be the only tiny cute one?" Who knows. Like I said, she's just a co-worker and I don't see her outside of work, so it's not a huge issue.

I also find that people put you in a category, i.e. their "fat friend" (even though, again, they'd never admit it) and by losing weight and getting healthy, you're rocking the boat.

As for the other issue, what you order when going out to eat with friends, I would never accept a dinner invitation if I didn't plan on eating anything. That makes no sense to me. I'm not saying you have to keep up with everyone drink for drink and course for course. But to say, "Sure! Let's go out to dinner!" and then when you get there say, "Oh, I've already eaten...just water for me"? No. I'll make a plan ahead of time (i.e., one alcoholic drink, then switch to seltzer...either an appetizer or dessert with the main course, not both...whatever) and stick to it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    "When two split the bill, steak man robs salad man's pocket every time."
    -The Blue Raja
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    The reality is that "friends" really don't care about your personal journey with weight loss/gain/maintenance.
    When people realize that, it's much easier to understand.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Why would you go out to lunch with someone if you don't plan on eating?
    ^^^^ This
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't know...if I'm planning to go out to lunch or whatever with my friends I don't usually eat before hand...I go out to lunch with them and I eat with them.

I may get some crap from time to time that I don't go out with them enough because I'm usually on my bike at lunch and I usually brown bag it...but when I go out to eat with them, I eat with them...I've never just ordered water.

That said, I'm about 2.5 years into this little safari and my friends pretty much know the drill by now.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    kelfran1 wrote: »
    Well, I can see myself being a little put off if I made plans with a friend to go out to lunch or (worse) dinner and when we got to the restaurant, that person had already eaten and just drank water while I had a meal. Yes, it would make me feel awkward and a little annoyed that now I'm hungry and have to spend money to eat when we could have both eaten at home and then done some other activity together.

Perhaps the next time you are invited out, you can try suggesting an alternative activity, like taking a walk in a park. That way your friend doesn't expect that you will be lunching together, only to find him/herself eating while you watch.

I totally agree.

I don't care what my friends eat at all. But if we have made plans to get dinner and you don't order food and I am eating alone, then what was the point of going out to dinner together? I could have saved money and we could have done something else.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    I understand eating something small (a salad, maybe?) before you go out, so you're not famished when you get there, leading you to overeat.

But eating a full meal and then saying that you won't be ordering anything because you already ate.....I wonder if there's a feeling of superiority that goes along with that. "Nothing for me, thanks. I just ate a wonderful, nutritious meal that I prepared myself from scratch. But by all means, you go on and eat that fat- and calorie-laden restaurant meal. I'll just sip my water".
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I understand eating something small (a salad, maybe?) before you go out, so you're not famished when you get there, leading you to overeat.

But eating a full meal and then saying that you won't be ordering anything because you already ate.....I wonder if there's a feeling of superiority that goes along with that. "Nothing for me, thanks. I just ate a wonderful, nutritious meal that I prepared myself from scratch. But by all means, you go on and eat that fat- and calorie-laden restaurant meal. I'll just sip my water".

Yep, this too. I just think it's really bizarre behavior to make plans to go out to eat and then not eat. I don't get it, unless it's too smack people in the face with your awesome diet plans.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Why not just fit what you want to consume when out with your friends into your calories for the day? I do it all the time and still lost at a steady rate.
  • PMA150
    PMA150 Posts: 43 Member
    Why would you go "out to eat" with someone and not eat? Why would you eat beforehand if you know you have plans to meet them? I'm going to have to agree with your friends on this one. And in their situation I'd find it odd if it happened once and rude if it happened again. I'd also stop meeting you for lunch/dinner.
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Yeah... I would be kind of put off if I made plans to go out to eat with a friend and they just ordered water. It'd be a bit different if we made plans to do something else and I just happened to not eat beforehand. If that was the case, I'd completely understand if they weren't hungry.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I don't understand why you care that your friends care?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    I'd say it can depend on the situation. If they're buying or you're at their house and they're offering food, it fits in the "they're trying to be generous / hospitable" realm. That's where I'd be more likely to accept and figure out a way to fit it into my daily calories *or* I'd thank them, but let them know I've already eaten and I'm too full to eat any more.

If they're trying to get you to buy your own food, I wouldn't say it's rude, they probably just don't want to feel like the odd one out or like they're "that guy" who's making everyone wait while they eat. In that scenario, I'd be a little more along the lines of "it's my money, it's my diet, it's my decision when I buy more food".

Ordering something they know they won't finish could be a poorly structured offer of hospitality, until they want people to chip in, at which point it becomes awkward because they're trying to get people to chip in on the bill for food they didn't want, to begin with.

When they say that you need the food to stay strong, etc, that usually is just an attempt at peer pressure using what they know about you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Why would you go out to lunch with someone if you don't plan on eating?

Um this.

If you're hanging out with friends and they suddenly decide that they're hungry and want to eat, while you don't, then it's their issue, not yours.