2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rubywly wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Thank you for suggestions! I will definitely try to add more fatty foods into my diet!
    Though, I can't eat potatoes (or tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) or anything else that falls into the nightshade category.
    Allmygains wrote: »
    Which foods has the doctor specifically told you to avoid?

Actually, the doctor didn't tell me to avoid any foods..I told the doctor I was going to try a new diet and he said he was interested to know the results! It's the internet and months of research that have told me what to eat and what to avoid. I know how crazy that sounds, but it's working.

So basically you just stopped eating a bunch of things and decided that not eating 20 different things means that you cannot eat those 20 different things.. Did your doctor diagnose your with an auto-immune disease? Based on you stating that your doctor did not tell you to abvoid any foods, I'm going to guess that you pulled the diagnosis out of your butt after doing some Googling, yes?

If this is the case, then stop avoiding all of these foods. Get ACTUAL testing done. A minor elimination diet done properly is fine if you are having issues that aren't being caught on tests or you are simply not in a position to go get testing done. I did an elimination diet about 5 years ago, first with dairy for a few months and after no changes I tried eliminating gluten (having reintroduced dairy already). This fixed my digestive symptoms. Because I did not get any specific tests done, I do not call myself Celiac, I simply know that this is an ingredient that I feel better not consuming.

So.... you should probably actually get a diagnosis first if this has yet to be done, and/or do a proper elimination diet, not just cut out foods because some website told you that you have an AID and can't eat x and y.

Otherwise just eat everything you are already eating, but more of it. Poultry, fish (unless you are saying that you can't eat any marine life, which I'm guessing you aren't), oil, butter, peanuts/nuts, nut butters, eggs, rice and rice pasta....

And fruit = sugar, so uh. If you can't/shouldn't eat sugar does that mean that you aren't eating fruits, despite saying you are eating lots of them? If the fruit isn't bothering you then I'll assume that your diagnosis is not doctor-derived and that you'd probably be fine eating most or all of what you've cut out. Could be that just one of these ingredients was causing your issues.

I am not self-diagnosed after "some Googling". I have been living with it for over 15 years and dealing with treatments that haven't been working. After 15 years, I decided to speak with people who are also living with this and their success stories with diet. That's when I told my doctor about it and he said there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing since nothing else is working for me and that he'd be very interested to know if I have any improvements....and yes, I HAVE improvements

Good luck; it's a lot of stuff to give up, but I know that several ailments have been improved via diet (the ketosis diet was initially designed as a treatment for epilepsy). I'm sure it sucks to have to give stuff up, but I bet the symptoms suck more.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I heard on a radio program that white potatoes are night shade but not sweet potatoes. I guess that is why Palio says sweet potatoes are a good food.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing how you do as well on this. I have psoriasis (diagnosed at 2 so 30 years ago), as does my boyfriend. A coworker of mine had psoriasis much worse than I had it and she worked with a Chinese herbalist that gave her an exclusion list of foods to eat (very similar to your list) and some teas that she drank and it definitely helped her skin a lot. I'm eating mostly plant-based foods ATM and am interested if a side affect of that might be my skin/scalp improving - one can hope but I do have an appointment with my Naturopath tomorrow to see if there's anything else I can do.

Please keep us updated though as to your progress and I agree with what a lot of other people posted: nut butters, dates, avocado, olive or coconut oils added to your stir fry's and even dairy-free cheeses. I would also add to that list: beans as they're pretty high calorie and you can eat a lot of them without feeling too full.

Good luck to you!
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yep. Allergies...or more like autoimmune disease and I'm trying to keep it under control.

I am starting to eat handfuls of almonds whenever I can these days and hope it will help. I've also been making my own honey peanut butter and I just eat spoonfuls of that.
    Definitely been leaving all the skin on my chicken. I should probably stir-fry (with oil) more veggies instead of just boiling and steaming them!

I've no seen non-dairy, non-soy ice creams in the freezers at the super market

Pecans have more calories than almonds. When I'm done with almonds u have right now I'm moving onto pecan halves