Gym help: Yes or No?

Options
13»

Replies

• dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @DjinnMarie‌ I'd never heard of a negative pull-up, but decided to look them up. I'm going to try this!
    OP, I think that you follow others' advice and first try to befriend the guy. You can always just mention things that you've done to perfect your form and work various muscles. This way, it won't be directly like you're giving unsolicited advice. If he wants to work on himself after that, perhaps he'll make the next steps. He may just have a hard time asking for advice/help due to personal pride.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would probably take it the wrong way if someone gave me advice haha
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would help me at the gym haha. I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time and I think I give off a "don't talk to me" vibe =/. I think the conversation route is the best tactic.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    My take on advice.. SINCE you are asking.. is this.... advice is only useful if it's asked for... AND advice only really says ONE thing... "Be More like me" YOU might socially engineer this fella into asking for your advice... BUT maybe find out what his goals are... I am betting by what you've described, is that he'd really like to achieve a pull up... or maybe even more than one... SO.. the social engineering part is simple... "Hey Brah??? what are you working towards? a pull up? would you like some advice on that? then give him a gun show and make a joke ... ( of course I am kidding about the gun show)...
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    It's nice to want to help people but I usually don't at the gym unless asked. Especially in the weight room though I did break this rule on Monday. There was a woman looking around in the Smith machine, which is right next to the squat rack I was in, and kind of pacing looking confused. She's a gym regular that usually has a locker near mine so we've had a lot of small 1 minute conversations. I said "You look like you are trying to decide something." And she just unloaded a bunch of questions about lifting and specific programs, including my own. I gave her some general info, mentioned some resources and told her which trainers in the gym could give her solid lifting advice. We talked about other things, she thanked me for my time and left. It was no big deal and she could have easily deflected my initial question if she didn't want to talk.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I too would start up conversations on non-related advice first. I've made quite a few friends that way at the gym and then we were able to bend each others ear for advice. Of course when I was doing more straight lifting I was going at 5:30am and it was kind of like a tight knit community at my local YMCA. The weight floor at 6pm scares me. Too many people running around, most not knowing what they are doing, etc. So I avoid it!

For anyone who says they wish someone would show them what to do. Most gyms have floor staff who can show you (that is their job), or may offer a free "tour", ask about it. If your gym doesn't have that look for someone who seems to know what they are doing and you see regularly. I think the majority of people would take it as a compliment and would respond positively to getting asked for advice. Be gracious. If they don't have time to help you a lot they may offer you a little more each time they see you. Never be afraid to ask for help!!
  • seangharper
    Options
    It's the way in which you approach the guy, I was happy when this massive guy gave me some tips on the leg press, just a simple adjustment to the machine made a huge difference. He noticed I was taller than average and showed me the correct positioning.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I frequently observe Squat Rack Hog Boy (my name - once he is on that piece of equipment he is there for 30 min and there is no way to work in) do his deadlifts with a slightly rounded back. It hurts me to look at him ... so I don't. This is a Y and there are not staff around, usually.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I'm torn here. I see an older guy (say late 50's) that goes to my gym every day in the early morning that does the same exercises that are either close to useless (since no exercise is completely useless) or a waste of time. For example:

1) Using the Smith machine with the bar already above his head and slightly pressing up (maybe half an inch) for a bunch of reps.
    2) Hanging from the pull up bar and slightly pulling up (again for the obligatory half an inch) while he's bringing his knees up imitating a somewhat pull up.

All while having this look of utter exertion on his face. Afterwards, he wanders around the workout area for about 5 minutes and then does some other futile exercise. The question is, at what point is it OK to try and help or should I not give any advice at all and leave the guy alone? I know I go to the gym to achieve a goal and want everyone there to be successful. I generally keep to myself as I'm more focused on what I'm there for and what I need to do but like to help those that need it, but not if they don't want it.

Should I try to help or should I just ignore the guy and leave him to his own devices?

Is he paying you? No? No advice.

@IamUndrCnstruction‌ - there are these neat people with a lot of advice, called trainers and coaches. They'll be more than happy to help you. @racheljonel‌

@TheBigFb‌ - I wonder if the completely clueless gym goer has posted the obligatory, "People watch me at the gym, I'm anxious, projecting, and they're mean," thread here. I mean, we have them all the time afterall.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would just leave him alone. sounds like he's been doing this for years... but if that's true I would hope he could do a little more then an inch on his pull up. unless its somewhat obvious that he's new, then I'd strike up the conversation.