Shakes for meal replacements

Options
what is everyone's opinion on replacing a meal with a protein shake? I have recently started replacing my lunch for a shake; however, I have heard both good and bad things!

Replies

• lauz322
    lauz322 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Shake as well as lunch not a replacement. Protein is to boost your protein intake so you still need to be eating as well. It's not a meal replacement
  • Moses1291
    Options
    That's what I've been wondering. I've been told, food high in protein, is better then a meal replacement. But for those who are busy and can't get they're protein intake from food, supplements are great.
  • mildollarsmile
    mildollarsmile Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy replacing a meal with a shake just not my lunch. Most of the time it is breakfast but I have one for dinner at times also. I generally workout then have my protein shake, then a couple hours later a healthy snack like cashews or almonds. What all do you put in your shake? I have like fruits and/or peanut butter in mine. You may not want to do it everyday or rely on them because a protein shake won't give you all the nutrients that you need. Your body needs real nutritious food.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary nor sustainable. Also a protein shake is not a meal replacement.

Eat food and count calories.
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It is better than not eating or picking up fast food. You have room for some snacks too with them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is better than not eating or picking up fast food. You have room for some snacks too with them.

Wouldn't that depend on what you ordered at the fast food place?
  • purplelilac123
    Options
    I guess I was just saying for myself it is a better option.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What makes it better than fast food?

I can get a burger from a fast food joint and still have room for snacks. I hit my protein and fat goal. (i'm not focused on carbs) I can still stick with my caloric intake for the day.

Hell when I was not eating low carbs, I could still get a burger and fries and meet macro goals while staying in a deficit. Oh and still have a snack.

ETA: But I don't care about snacks and don't eat them so EH.
  • purplelilac123
    Options
    I just enjoy them sometimes and it has less fat and calories. It is my opinion. You do not have to use them. I just find them convenient sometimes. I like The new V8 or Special K ones but don't need it all the time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If it's intended to be a meal replacement, then it should have the nutrition of a meal, not a supplement shake. So something like a protein shake is NOT an "equal" replacement for a decent meal. Throw in some fruit, maybe some peanut butter, and you might be getting closer to a legitimate meal replacement. But, the cals of the shake are also increasing, so you'll have to weight the value in that yourself.
  • kelseyjean5
    kelseyjean5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been drinking the Special K shakes. Mainly because I had my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago and that's all I could really cosume. However, I know you're supposed to have a smaller meal at dinner compared to lunch and breakfast, but I like to save a lot of my calories for dinner.

The cool thing about counting calories is that you can almost eat anything you want, as long as it's in your calorie intake. (Including fast food) The 12 week fitness and diet program that I am currently doing even suggests I eat 100 calories worth of chocolate a day to help cravings.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... I know you're supposed to have a smaller meal at dinner compared to lunch and breakfast ...

Nope, you can eat any time of day or night divided into however many meals and snacks work for you. For some folks, many small meals work. For others, one big meal works. Some must have a big breakfast, some don't want to eat before they've been up a few hours. Listen to your own body and do what helps you keep your overall diet in control without discomfort.

• Behindthesehazeleyes96
    Options
    When I've tried it - I'll drink the shake and then still hungry and end up doubling soo I avoid it
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me it's sustainable - and I love it. Like one person said, tho, I do add to it. Every morning on the way to work I have a shake - one half banana, one scoop instant espresso, pb2, protein powder, and frozen yogurt. Yummy! I've been doing this three days a week for eight months, great way to boost my protein intake and have breakfast to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what is everyone's opinion on replacing a meal with a protein shake? I have recently started replacing my lunch for a shake; however, I have heard both good and bad things!

Protein shakes aren't designed to be meal replacements...they are just supplements to help you hit your protein goals. A protein supplement shake does not have the nutritional make up to be meal replacements IMO.

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been drinking the Special K shakes. Mainly because I had my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago and that's all I could really cosume. However, I know you're supposed to have a smaller meal at dinner compared to lunch and breakfast, but I like to save a lot of my calories for dinner.

The cool thing about counting calories is that you can almost eat anything you want, as long as it's in your calorie intake. (Including fast food) The 12 week fitness and diet program that I am currently doing even suggests I eat 100 calories worth of chocolate a day to help cravings.

What is this program? The science is strong on this program, I can feel it via the internets. But I have been wrong before..
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did that for a while before I started counting, it worked ok because it restricted my calories. Now that I count calories I hardly ever choose a shake because I find the same amount of calories in food is more filling (plus it's nice to eat).
  • Dianemarie65
    Dianemarie65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Shakeology through Beachbody? What are your thoughts on that? I question those type of shakes and along with a high cost.
  • kelseyjean5
    kelseyjean5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

What is this program? The science is strong on this program, I can feel it via the internets. But I have been wrong before..

If you're talking about the twelve week program I'm on, it's the Venus index!

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Shakeology through Beachbody? What are your thoughts on that? I question those type of shakes and along with a high cost.

Just an overpriced protein shake. Not better, not worse than other shakes.