Isn't it a law??

Options
Isn't it a law that restaurants have to have their nutrition facts either posted or on hand for their customers to view?? I've asked two different places since I've been on this site and neither of them have it.

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, only in California, and only chain restaurants.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think the law only requires 'chain' restaurants to make nutritional info available to patrons.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It's a law to have it on packaged food, but there is no law stating that the nutritional information has to be correct...they can put what ever they want on that fun little label
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    NY too I believe.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Would be nice but I don't think so! Check on-line for any that you can
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's only if they have 20 or more restaurants. At least that was my understanding. :happy:
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Even if they do, the calorie count will be different for each chef. I highly doubt any of them will take the time to weigh and measure each ingredient like we do:ohwell:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't think there is a federal law, Cracker Barrel doesn't have their nutritional info posted.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Even if they do, the calorie count will be different for each chef. I highly doubt any of them will take the time to weigh and measure each ingredient like we do:ohwell:
    And that's assuming their distributor even bothers to give them the product they ordered and not a similar substitution with different nutrition values.
  • bettis69
    bettis69 Posts: 2
    Options
    Its a law on some states but not all, althought the FDA is pushinig for copmpliance by 2012
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't think there is a federal law, Cracker Barrel doesn't have their nutritional info posted.

It's a federal law too, but the effective date was not specified at the signing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    It will be a federal mandate (FDA I think) soon. I can't remember when they said it would go into effect.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    From what I could find online, it looks like this is part of the health care reform and won't be finalized/implemented until sometime next year.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    NY too I believe.

Yeah, in NY too. I went to a Cheesecake Factory in NY a few months ago and was delighted to see the calorie amounts next to each meal on the menu. Of course, I couldn't find a single item that was below 700 calories. *sigh* At least I managed to pick the healthiest thing I could find and ate better throughout the rest of the day.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for it the spread nationwide. A friend even mentioned that at a baseball game he went to in NY that they posted the calories at the food stands ! Next it'll be like that hidden valley commercial where everyone orders "popped" cauliflower and their ranch dressing. :P
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    Not in Canada. There was a good episode of Marketplace (on CBC) that showed that the Restaurant Lobby is fighting any kind of legislation to make nutrition information mandatory. There are still some restaurants that provide it, but you have to ask, or look online before you go.
  • mowrynation
    mowrynation Posts: 91
    Options
    As far as I know here in ny it is a county by county basis and depends on the size of the place. Usually the bigger places have the info. Such as the chains. Mom an pops don't seem to have to have it... yet at least
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options

They may if it means saving money. A lot of restaurants have pre-measured proportions so that they don't have to spend more money buying ingredients more often. If they have to spend more money on ingredients than what you pay for your meal, they'll lose money.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm not current with the laws, i know it's not in Florida~
    I worked the past 15yrs as a server... the last 10 of them was at a small cafe that was located in a plaza that had a weight watchers next door~ All the members would go to their meeting, weigh in, and then come in to the cafe to eat. Looking at the menu, they would ask me-" how many points does this dish have, or that dish have?"....DROVE ME CRAZY!!! LOL How the hell am i suppose to know what your allowed to eat?! Do your own homework! I'll just bring you your egg beaters and 10 refills of water right away so you can leave me a REALLY cheap *ss tip, how bout that?!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: