New! Need people's advice on gaining weight.

I'm 5'11 and weigh 140lbs. I have a fast metabolism, and I'm currently working with a personal trainer in the gym to gain muscle. I find it hard to get all the calories from food, eating so much just doesn't settle well with my stomach. I'm comfortable eating Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, but eating every other hour or two, just seems to not settle well comfortably. Is there any advice from men, or woman, on how to get 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day, to gain weight? I have been doing protein shakes, powders... Need some advice. Maybe there's a cookbook that's good for High Calorie meals?

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    Bagels, Ice cream, cookies, beer, pizza,

You're bulking.

Eat all the food
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Check out my diary. My net intake is around 2500 but my food intake in about 3000. So if you need 3000 calories a day there might be some ideas in there for you.
    Also, I suggest off hand, pecans, whole milk products, avocado, pork, bread, butter... That's all I can think of on the top of my head. Also try sense fruits like Apple and banana
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    high calorie is practically synonomous with "junk food"

so eat your chicken and veggies and rice- then fill the day with carbycarbycarbmccarberson food.
    - sugar bagels are excellent
    - actual bagels
    - beer
    - pizza
    - snickers
    - almonds- peanuts
    - girlscout cookies
    - crumble up oreos into ice cream
    - blend slices of cheese cake into your smoothies.
    - milk if you can tolerate it
    - heavy cream on whatever you can put it in/on
    - butter
    - olive oil
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Ditch the personal trainer, and the idea that you have a "fast metabolism".
    You don't. You just don't eat enough.

Additionally, figure out a more accurate calorie range. There is a LARGE difference between 3,000-4,000 calories/day which would equate to a weekly differential of 7,000 calories, which would yield an extra 2 & 1/2lbs per month of weight gain.

That could mean the difference between lean development, and obesity in a few short months.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Personally, protein powders don't sit well in my stomach (at least not the brand I tried). It didn't matter what I did with them - smoothie, bake in pancakes, add to yogurt/oatmeal - no bueno. Think that might be part of the problem? Or are you sure it's the quantity of food?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Unless you're adding a bunch of other stuff to them (oats, PB, cream, etc.) or using mass gainers, protein shakes don't really give you a ton of calories and they tend to be fairly filling compared to other liquids. They're the last thing I would choose if I were having trouble hitting my calories.