Doorway pull-up bars - are they safe?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
For the door not the person ...planning on using it in a bedroom with the door in a partition wall, not a structural one. It's one of those leverage ones ...
b8k14q8ft3r9.jpg

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    it depends; i wouldn't :/ partial substitution: broomhandle set across two chairs, with feet in front. would work slightly differently, but still a pull
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have two just like that one that I've had for years. Never had a problem.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be and I'm around 218lbs.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think there is a weight requirement because it does damage the door. It damage the door in my parents house.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've had mine in 3 different doorways, two different houses and no damage. Not sure what the weight requirement but I would imagine going over it could cause some damage.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    maybe it depends on the pull up bar and the construction of the frame & wall, and following instructions (making sure things fit). maybe check reviews on amazon
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    if the concern is that your going to pull the door frame down, I think you're probably ok but I'm not very savy on those things. there is a possibility that you could dig into the door frame, but if you put a rag over the contact points it would help prevent damage... and hopefully still stay on well
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We have one that gets used almost daily (especially by my 200lb husband) for about 5 years now, in different doorways, never any problems.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ..so no damage from 2 but a yes from @yopeeps025‌ - am I reading it right that you think that's down to your weight?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Add one more to "no damage" from my side. I have used one numerous times in my house with no damage.
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have had a doorway pull up bar for a few years now. There may be minor marks on the door frame but nothing really too bad to be honest with you. You would only notice if you really looked closely... If you're worried about it I would suggest using it in a doorway in your basement or somewhere that you don't care as much about.

I hope that made sense?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    We have one and both of us use it. No damage here.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My son has been using ours while he's home from college to get his workout in. No damage or problem to our door frame.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Depends on the strength of the trim.

I have the same one pictured.
    When I lived in the apartment It wouldn't hold my weight (240 at the time)
    Thankfully I'm handy so I just fixed the trim at minimal cost.
    When I moved into my house the trim is thicker and it has handled my weight just fine . (250 at the time)
    I did put a towel under the bar that pushes against the side trim to protect it
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been using this one for the past 2 years without issues even at 260lbs didn't have a problem. http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-XSP-Chin-door-opening/dp/B00H1LQ92E/ref=sr_1_5?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1426185724&sr=1-5&keywords=pull+up+bar
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I have used one on a bunch of doorways in my houses with no problems.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Thanks guys ..so no damage from 2 but a yes from @yopeeps025‌ - am I reading it right that you think that's down to your weight?

I used to do assisted pull ups when I weighted around 245 I think. The two ends on the straight long piece started to damage the wood on the sides of the door. ALso had friend who were using it doing weighted pull ups into the 200s pound.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    if the concern is that your going to pull the door frame down, I think you're probably ok but I'm not very savy on those things. there is a possibility that you could dig into the door frame, but if you put a rag over the contact points it would help prevent damage... and hopefully still stay on well

Mine has dug into the woodwork :( however, it still holds me just fine.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Depends on the strength of the trim.

I have the same one pictured.
    When I lived in the apartment It wouldn't hold my weight (240 at the time)
    Thankfully I'm handy so I just fixed the trim at minimal cost.
    When I moved into my house the trim is thicker and it has handled my weight just fine . (250 at the time)
    I did put a towel under the bar that pushes against the side trim to protect it

Make me wonder what my parents trim stats are. What happen at your apartment happen at there house too.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Mine has left some marks on the woodwork but also no other problems here.