Doorway pull-up bars - are they safe?

Options
2»

Replies

• joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've got those exact ones! The one dig I have with that brand specifically is that the handles(which are made of foamy stuff) squeak when I pull up and now I forever hate that sound!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think I've found a use for my old hiking socks then :)

Unfortunately no basement so the spare bedroom will have to do, there was an option to bring it downstairs to a room with solid brick walls but I think it should be fine judging by your opinions

Thanks all..(I'm so gonna master a pull-up before summer)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think I've found a use for my old hiking socks then :)

Unfortunately no basement so the spare bedroom will have to do, there was an option to bring it downstairs to a room with solid brick walls but I think it should be fine judging by your opinions

Thanks all..(I'm so gonna master a pull-up before summer)

Sweet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I tried one of those a few times. No damage, but was not stable/secure enough for me. Operator error? Maybe. TIFWIW.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    As long as you remember to take it down and not have your husband smash his head on it! LOL! My 17 year old son uses one all the time in the doorway of our spare room. He's light....maybe 130 lb. May not be as sturdy for someone with considerably higher weight.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Saw a youtube video of a crossfitter using one of those for "pullups", the ensuing fail was hilarious!!! That said, add me to the list of long time users without issue, for traditional pullups.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 2 months now, no problems. I weigh 236 pounds.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have that same one over a door in a partition wall in my apartment. No sign of damage and I use it multiple times a day. I weigh 144.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've only used mine in hotel rooms... you could see a hint of an impression but you really had to look for it to see it.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use the Perfect Pullup. Hopefully you can see from the pics there are four 2" screws you need to use on each of the corners so for motels and apartments that will not work. Damage is easily repaired in the even you want to sell your home or something. I have used it for years weighing between 185 and 160.
    I got the one you have pictured and must have misunderstood how to install with the clip, still have it and use it for abs sometimes. My fear is not so much damage to the door frame or trim as it is damage to me if the thing were to fail.

s5421aq0amug.jpg
    lr4pe0exjdeq.jpg
  • Emnelltt
    Emnelltt Posts: 14
    Options
    We have had the one in your picture for years in our house. No issues and my husband uses it daily.