5K to 10K

Options
KazB5
KazB5 Posts: 14 Member
I run 5K quite comfortably in about 28 minutes. I have signed up to run a 10K in a couple of months so I am going to have to push myself out of my comfort zone! I am using a 10K training app on my phone to get me up to 10K but does anyone have any tips for getting past the 5K barrier?

Replies

• FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I have the C210K app the 4 x10 interval had me at over 4 miles with warm up and cool down. When I'm not doing the interval I liked to run 3.25 or 3.5miles straight. That helped me physically and mentally. Good Luck and Happy Running!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are running three times a week at the moment keep two runs the same as you do now, the gradually increase the length of your weekend run- eg 6k for two weeks, then 7k for two weeks etc. use some walk breaks in your long runs if you want to- it's time on your feet that counts when you are a beginner. When you can cover 10k (with walk breaks) decrease amount of breaks until you are running most or all of the 10k. Good luck
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No I have no information, but I want to say that I admire you! Running a 10k is my goal this year as I ran several 5k's last year but hope to at least run one 10k...good luck and keep us posted how it goes! :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    +1 on one long run each week, building distance no more than 10% each week.

Also, slow down just a bit on those longer runs. It will help you endure the longer distances.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    After finishing C25K, I didn't want to go back to run/walk intervals so I did Hal Higdon's 10K plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

It was a perfect build up for me and I'd highly recommend it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's plan too. I didn't have a set race date so I did each week twice. It worked really well for me.
  • ycel0612
    ycel0612 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    After finishing C25K, I didn't want to go back to run/walk intervals so I did Hal Higdon's 10K plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

It was a perfect build up for me and I'd highly recommend it.

I love Hal Higdon's program. Runs are pretty reasonable for beginners.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same at the moment. I have run a 5k charity race for the past 2 years and am now training to run the 10. (and the muddy 5!) I started doing the couch to 10k, then one day I just didn't feel like walking so I decided to just go for it. I ran 10k in 1 hour 3 min
  • KazB5
    KazB5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes I am using a 10K training app which is really useful. I'm running 3 times a week and trying to fit in some 'cross training' a couple of the other days (I went Swimming this morning). I have run 10K a couple of times before but that was a few years ago. I know I can do it. Its just getting to that level of fitness again!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Slow long run pace a bit and increase distance (slowly). Add a long run if you aren't doing one already.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Personally I find things after 3 miles get easier. It's like my body decides "oh, okay we are just going to keep running".....I don't find much difference in 6 or 10 miles lol.

Anyways, congrats on pushing yourself out of your comfort zone!
  • jb290978
    jb290978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    KazB5 wrote: »
    I run 5K quite comfortably in about 28 minutes. I have signed up to run a 10K in a couple of months so I am going to have to push myself out of my comfort zone! I am using a 10K training app on my phone to get me up to 10K but does anyone have any tips for getting past the 5K barrier?

I started with the c25k a few years ago now. Best 5k was around 35 minutes. I stopped and done one in December. It took me 37 minutes. For the last 2 months I have been training for a half marathon with only 4 months advanced warning.
    My first week was a 15 minute slow run twice a week and a 2 mile long run or 30 minutes which ever you reached first.
    Today I have just done my 8 mile long run.
    Now I do a 3 week cycle of slow recovery run. A tempo run and a long run.

Slow runs this month are 30/35/40mins. Tempo run is 25/30/35 and my long run is 8/9/10miles.
    The 4th week is a recovery week. 3 x 3 miles slow.

So basically a short slow run. A tempo run (knock 30 seconds off your 5k per minute time), and increase long run a mile a week with a recovery week.

You should easy do 10k in a month. But keep going. Longer runs will get you faster.
    A 5k tempo run I got 32 minutes.... I've improved so much but your still faster... Lol
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Personally I find things after 3 miles get easier. It's like my body decides "oh, okay we are just going to keep running".....I don't find much difference in 6 or 10 miles lol.

Anyways, congrats on pushing yourself out of your comfort zone!
    Do you always run the same pace? If so, that is why. You're used to it. Pick up the pace and it won't be so easy.

Unless you like it. Nothing wrong with that.