Tips and tricks for overcoming cravings?

Options
littlebee55
littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
I have a few tricks I use to satisfy cravings without going beserk or totally giving in. I have learned that after I have a decent sized savory meal, I crave sweets. And it is really, really bad after my evening meal. I started keeping 50-calorie hot chocolate packets and the sugar free Werther's caramel amd chocolate caramels around. They usually work well. If I have several calories left over, I make an 81-calorie 3 2 1 microwave cake.

For savory salty cravings, I keep cooked brussels sprouts in the fridge and mix hummus in with them after heating them up.

What tricks do you use?

I found this article about causes and fixes for cravings helpful. Maybe you will, too.

http://kriscarr.com/blog-video/how-to-stop-food-cravings/

Replies

• dejababi423
    Options
    Il drink about a cup of vanilla almond milk!! Fills you up and curves your appetite and its ssoooo good!!!
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to eat chocolate everyday, and have a sweet protein smoothie after workouts, and constantly crave sweet things after meals.... and then it just stopped. I dont remember it stopping, but it did sometime in the last few months. I keep some sort of dessert in the house, right now i have frozen trader joes macarons. they are 40 calories each and i eat one if im craving dessert. Ive eaten 3 in two weeks.

I dont know quite how to explain it.. but for the past few years I had been trying to do a low carb diet, cutting down on breads, rice, noodles etc.. and it wasnt working for me. It made me crave carbs and sugar and cookies etc. But now I dont limit my carb intake, i just eat whatever I want within my calorie goals. I eat sandwiches, pasta, burritos and whatever and now i dont crave chocolate or sweets.
  • MeredithDeaton
    Options
    I've been keeping candied ginger in my desk for sweet cravings. I love the flavor, but it's way too strong for me to ever eat more than one piece at a time.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I noticed my worst cravings are around my menstrual cycle, and increasing my iron intake around this time really seems to help.
    But I generally just try to keep my protein level high, and balance my macros around 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat (versus MFP's recommended 55 carb/15 protein/30 fat). Quest's protein powder with almond milk and ice blended together have changed my life and helped me to stay full and clean up my snacks a bit! I also frequent dark chocolate (just a few squares every night as a treat), and dry cereal for on the go snacking (I prefer Honey Bunches of Oats due to it's high iron content, and it's sweet and something that lasts me a while).
    Different things work for everyone though, you'll get better at handling it with time, just hang in there and don't give up! :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like a snack after dinner, a tbsp of peanut butter always works for me.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    After every dinner I make a cup of vanilla decaf coffee and add 1 TB heavy whipping cream. I relax and get comfortable and it keeps me From feeling unsatisfied and wandering the kitchen It also makes dinner last an hour.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I drink flavoured teas mostly. Or sweet coffee (with lots of splenda, like, enough to make it taste like dessert, but not enough to make it taste bitter.)

I can't really give too much into cravings, or go overboard with them. Because I don't keep sweets in the house. I only buy myself 1 single serve treat everyday before I go home.

That way I can eat the whole thing, and can't go back for seconds, because there's no more. And I live too far away to make a second trip to town just for a sweet.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that fruit flavored gum helps with sweet cravings after a meal. It seems to work for me, and the one I have is only 4 calories :smile:
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like to microwave a cup of unsweetened almond milk (35cal) and then stir in 1 tbsp of cocoa powder (15 cal) and a packet or stevia or any other low cal sweetener. Delicious..

Recipe http://detoxinista.com/2011/02/baby-its-cold-outside/
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Il drink about a cup of vanilla almond milk!! Fills you up and curves your appetite and its ssoooo good!!!

Yes!

• JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    sugar free gum. Mio ice shakes in magic bullet.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    gum, tea, coffee. the very occasional diet soda. Doing chores because you can't really eat while hanging up clothes and stuff.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Whenever I feel like a snack after dinner, a tbsp of peanut butter always works for me.

This works for me too! I even eat some before a meal and I get fuller faster.

• katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I love that tip! I've done that before. Very helpful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually started feeling terrible eating simple carbs! Sugar makes me bloated! I never noticed this before but I can eat 1 oz of chocolate and my stomach blows up like I am 7 months prego!

I eat complex carbs now and limit simple sugar and I do not know how it happened but because I work out (lift and cardio 5 to 6 days a week) when I eat higher foods in protein and fat I noticed I felt great and if I ate candy/chocolate etc.. I felt terrible. My body rejected me putting this in my body!!

But I do eat bread (multi grain 45 calorie bread), potatoes, cheese, cereal, and other things like this.. My body tells me what it wants and I now listen to it because I HATE the bloating and stomach distention problem... but do not despair I still make "sweet goodies" I substitute sugar and watch the "fake sugar" symptoms that come from sugar alcohols...

It is a catch twenty two!!!! Darned if you do and darned if you don't..LOL

• nancypinedaf
    nancypinedaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Handful of nuts or berries. :)
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like to save calories after my meal for a snack cause I'm just like you, I love something sweet after a meal. A piece of dark chocolate is good for me. If I do something like candy , I can't stop myself at one or two pieces, so I like a dark chocolate. The richer the better.

I also drink flavored water and chew fruity gum throughout the day to tackle my sweet tooth.
  • monicatomasi
    Options
    Sparkling water is my friend.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I overcome my cravings by giving in to them. If that makes any sense, lol. But I don't go HAM on them. I almost always crave for chocolate daily - but I just have a nibble on a square of dark chocolate or Cadbury Oreos (these are the bomb!). 1 square = 28 cals. DONE!

Cadbury_Dairy_Milk_with_Oreo__04076_zoom.jpg

ldv16yjndr6h.jpg