Gym/diet advice please

Options
Hello,

Advice needed please. My weight loss has come to a halt. My loss of 5 stone has been purely done on cutting calories. I now want to get rid of the last 2 stone and I know exercise is going to be the way too do it.

I have joined a gym and plan on going 3-4 times a week. Are there any particular machines I should be using and perhaps a certain diet I should follow?

This has been a Long and hard journey for me so losing the last 2 stones is not going to be easy so any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80-100% diet so I would really recommend putting most of your focus there. Exercise is for health, fitness, strength, cardio, vanity, etc.. so it's great to do of course, don't get me wrong there. If you're stuck, I'd look closer at your diet first.
  • stripeybelly
    stripeybelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mix it up, definitely. Use elliptical one day, treadmill the next time, stationary bike the next etc. Make sure you're still strict on counting calories - it's easy to slip over time and start sneaking in unlogged snacks or drinks. You're most of the way there - you can reach your goal!!!
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Completely up to you :) Some prefer cardio, some prefer weights. As long as you focus on what you're trying to achieve, either (and indeed, both) will help.

One thing I will say is that if you go the lifting route with the primary goal of losing fat, try and stick to compound lifts that engage a lot of muscles in one go. You'll start sweating very quickly..!
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would recommend mixing both cardio and resistance work. Doing just aerobic exercise in the long run will eventually cause your metabolism to slow down which will make further weight loss more difficult. Combining these two will help you lose fat without losing muscle mass.

I would also suggest that you allow yourself a cheat day every one or two weeks (just don't go nuts!). Not only is this a psychological relief, but it also convinces your body that you aren't starving yourself. A cheat meal will restore your leptin levels which will actually aid in your weight loss. You effectively trick your body in to believe that you aren't dieting and don't need to slow down your metabolism.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ldeoprecor wrote: »
    I would also suggest that you allow yourself a cheat day every one or two weeks (just don't go nuts!). Not only is this a psychological relief, but it also convinces your body that you aren't starving yourself. A cheat meal will restore your leptin levels which will actually aid in your weight loss. You effectively trick your body in to believe that you aren't dieting and don't need to slow down your metabolism.

Or just eat what you want in moderation. Cheat meals IMO build a mindset that what you're doing is a constant struggle - which it needn't be - and can cause you to eventually buckle.
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    Or just eat what you want in moderation. Cheat meals IMO build a mindset that what you're doing is a constant struggle - which it needn't be - and can cause you to eventually buckle.

I guess it just depends on your mindset. Chances are that by the time that cheat day rolls around, you won't go overboard. That's pretty much what I mean by "Don't go nuts".