Soreness

Options
luvsubrooke
luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
does anyone have days where they are just too sore to work out? I'm a runner and I run every night. Yesterday was no different and I woke up so sore this morning I couldn't even lift a leg over a kiddy gate. Lol do you all push through it or take a day off?

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I try to push through, but if that doesn't work I use ice to calm down the pain. I don't run, but I do strength training. Every once in a while its like I forget that I'm getting old while lifting at the gym and my body rudely reminds me the next day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have days when my legs are too sore to do cardio, but I do a 4 day split and don't focus on cardio, so the next day I'd be going in for a different muscle group anyway and my DOMs wouldn't really have an effect on my workout.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Body to self, you need rest and recovery to grow and get better.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I take it easy. Most I'll do is walk, maybe swim (easy). If it's to the point where sitting down is painful, I wait until that stops

here are some good articles on active recovery

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/keep-the-hard-days-hard-and-the-easy-days-easy.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/active-versus-passive-recovery.html/

• sweetpineapple
    sweetpineapple Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started taking glutamine and BCAAs pre and post workout and most of my DOMS is gone.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Soreness is worse if you've been sleeping or sitting (not moving). If you were to go for a leisurely walk, would you limber up significantly? If so, a good warmup and your workout should be fine.

But also, if you never ever ever take rest days, even ones filled with active recovery (walks, short jog, leisurely swim, light yoga, etc) then you may benefit a lot from taking one.

And also, it is your body. What I would do is not necessarily what you should do. If you think a rest would be good, do take one.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Soreness is worse if you've been sleeping or sitting (not moving). If you were to go for a leisurely walk, would you limber up significantly? If so, a good warmup and your workout should be fine.

But also, if you never ever ever take rest days, even ones filled with active recovery (walks, short jog, leisurely swim, light yoga, etc) then you may benefit a lot from taking one.

And also, it is your body. What I would do is not necessarily what you should do. If you think a rest would be good, do take one.

I guess I'm just not understanding why I'm suddenly very sore when I've been running for months. I do 3 miles incline and then 2 with no incline focusing on speed. I do lift, but mainly I squat, do lunges, and sit-ups. I just bathed with some Epsom salt and I feel a world better!
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You should look into getting a foam roller for your legs! You can find them on Amazon.com and I'm sure lots of other stores. And you can look on youtube for the most effective ways to use it.
    Sometimes, even with the same workout, you just get sore from running. Every run can't be perfect :)
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes I change it up and work a different group of muscles or do something that is still a workout yet allows whatever areas are sore to heal. Swimming is one of many things that are excellent for that if you have the access.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Body to self, you need rest and recovery to grow and get better.

Exactly. You need to either cross train and/or back off the running. Add some light resistance training or yoga into your workouts. Your body needs time to recover.
    I guess I'm just not understanding why I'm suddenly very sore when I've been running for months. I do 3 miles incline and then 2 with no incline focusing on speed. I do lift, but mainly I squat, do lunges, and sit-ups. I just bathed with some Epsom salt and I feel a world better!

You are suddenly sore because you haven't given your body time to recover. It has taken as much as it can take. 5 miles per evening is definitely enough to require at least one rest day, if not two. Or add those as cross training. The epsom salts, stretching, BCAA's and other advice is just a band-aid for your real problem. Fix the real problem. Your body has limits and it can break.