What's your hardest thing to give up?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Being lazy... I love sleeping and lying in bed reading.
  • missionYCO
    missionYCO Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    You don't have to give up any of those things...

Through my own experience, the more I felt I had to eliminate something, the more I wanted it.

Agreed! Like other people are saying, moderation is key. Admittedly though I am having trouble with soda. I'm not trying to eliminate it, just not drink it everyday like I am currently doing. :p
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Double post - disregard
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Becka4prez wrote: »
    I miss just eating, without thinking of calories, fat, carbs, protein. Sometimes I want to just eat, not necessarily too much, but without stressing about every bite.
    +1

Foodwise, it's cottage cheese. I tried low sodium and it tastes pretty disgusting. Some things just need salt.

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bekim123 wrote: »
    I'm not giving up anything, but I find it hard to limit salty snacks (chips, Cheetos, etc.), so I mostly try not to keep them around.

I AGREE I MISS JUST TAKING THE BAG AND MUNCHING AWAY.
  • SquidNebula
    SquidNebula Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Beer. I don’t drink a lot but I’ve been craving it more since I started this health kick.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Indian sweets, baked goodies, and anything chocolate :(

I need to learn self control or else I will devower it all in one sitting. It's better to not have anything tempting in the house.
  • noelue1
    noelue1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sugary foods!
  • noelue1
    noelue1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with u mizz maan11! I need help with it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Becka4prez wrote: »
    I miss just eating, without thinking of calories, fat, carbs, protein. Sometimes I want to just eat, not necessarily too much, but without stressing about every bite.

This ^^

I don't miss a particular food ... I miss the freedom.

Last Saturday, my husband and I went out to dinner ... we don't go out to dinner very often. This was a special occasion. In the past we would have shared an appetizer, eaten our meals, and then ordered a desert, and I would have thought nothing of it. But not this time ... that would have put me over my limit, so it was just the meal and a black coffee. And the whole time I ate, I was hoping that the meal would not put me over my limit.

• Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me to give up is old ways of thinking about food. I was a kid in the 80s (no eggs! No bacon! Yes fish oil! Cholesterol, zomg!), a teen/young adult in the 90s (STOP the Insanity! No fat!), and an adult through the millenium (Atkins! No/low carbs! Eat bacon again!). I am 40 years old and have learned the concept of "macros" from coming to MFP. Nutrition is daunting to me. It is hard to know what to believe and who to trust, because I am not particularly savvy at deciphering scientific research publications. So, I keep having to unlearn the old and learn the new. I still have a hard time accepting eating eggs without over-guilting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything. I miss eating BIG ol' sandwiches with whatever I want on them though.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any specific food other than wheat (for health reasons not for weight loss) but I do miss eating out, specifically at a friends or relatives where I have to pass up foods I either cannot eat or just don't want to but I also don't want to explain why or get those "looks". Giving up that kind of denial that comes with not logging what I put in my mouth.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Old habits related to food are the hardest to give up. I can and have made life changes, but now and then, for short or long periods, the old habits have their way of creeping back into my life.
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Putting bacon in my pants
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    emyoungx5 wrote: »
    adult drinks, wine...
    I wonder what is "adult drinks" (I assume it's not alcohol, since it's listed next)... Just curious...
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Putting bacon in my pants

I hear that IS one of the hardest vices to give up.

>.>

Wait, what? O.o

• debm109
    debm109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    You don't have to give up any of those things...

I haven't given anything up. And like, @guinevere96 said, it's all about moderation. When I want wine, I have wine. If I want a cheeseburger, I'll crush a cheeseburger, and if I want to dive into a bowl of chocolate ice cream, I allow myself a bowl of ice cream...or two.

Through my own experience, the more I felt I had to eliminate something, the more I wanted it.

• debm109
    debm109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    debm109 wrote: »
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.

My question exactly.

I just looked up the carrot cake I like at a particular bakery, and it came up at 600 calories. It's a nice cake and relatively filling, but if I ate that, I'd only have 600 calories for the rest of the day.

The only way I could justify having it, is if I were to put in a good solid, strenuous 2+ hour workout.

I wonder if some here are trying to gain weight??