Girl Scout Mom's & Dad's

Options
How many of you are having as much trouble keeping from snacking on the darned cookies your kid is selling?! I had CASES at my disposal and in the last month we've had them, I've eaten about a box a week ....ugh!!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It can be tough...I usually just work in 1-2 every day into my calories.

By the way - crush some thin mints into a serving of vanilla greek yogurt. You're welcome!

I'm going to have some chocolate PB gelato with a PB patty mixed in tonight I think!
  • bonsh80
    bonsh80 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly what you're going through, my daughter is a daisy.
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1 serving of the savannah smiles a day.
  • thdmsulvt
    thdmsulvt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a former Girl Scout Leader with 2 teenage Girl Scouts still selling cookies I can confess to completely avoiding them this year. Only because I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes and I am one tough cookie about getting healthy. I am so adamant about getting healthy that I may look briefly at a yummy treat, but don't even long for it. I know that isn't the case for most people and if I weren't in this condition I would totally have been eating some.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I admit that it's the reason I'm dragging my feet signing up my daughter for girl scouts... that, and frankly I don't know anyone here, let alone people who would buy the cookies. I don't want to be stuck with boxes and boxes of cookies we'd have to eat or something (I admit that I don't know how it works).

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I admit that it's the reason I'm dragging my feet signing up my daughter for girl scouts... that, and frankly I don't know anyone here, let alone people who would buy the cookies. I don't want to be stuck with boxes and boxes of cookies we'd have to eat or something (I admit that I don't know how it works).

Its an order form, so unless you specifically order extras to re-sell (which my gram did when I was a girl scout since there's always at least one person who missed that it was cookie ordering time), you won't end up with cases of cookies. (unless you're also a troop leader which more than likely wouldn't happen to you)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I don't know either- but I can tell you only a fraction of the support actually works to help them directly- most if it goes back to the "name" rather than the actual program your child is in.

Boy Scouts have a way better system. I think 75% of the sales for their egregiously priced popcorn goes to that troupe itself.

Secondly- as a child who had to sell chocolate bars for school- I hated it. I hated everything about it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would buy what I needed to from the nieces/neighbors/coworkers' kids and donate them to the local blood bank for their after donation snacks.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I don't know either- but I can tell you only a fraction of the support actually works to help them directly- most if it goes back to the "name" rather than the actual program your child is in.

Boy Scouts have a way better system. I think 75% of the sales for their egregiously priced popcorn goes to that troupe itself.

Secondly- as a child who had to sell chocolate bars for school- I hated it. I hated everything about it.

It is voluntary to sell cookies.
    Does a Girl Scout troop or group have to sell cookies if they don't want to?
    Girl Scout product sales offer girls a great way to finance their Girl Scout activities and special projects. Participation in the Girl Scout Cookie Program is voluntary and requires written permission by a parent or guardian. Annually, about 65 percent of registered Girl Scouts choose to participate in the program.
    http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/faq.asp

• redoakcircus
    Options
    My kids aren't allowed to participate in fundraisers. They aren't free labor, especially for the times when a majority of the profits go to the fundraising co themselves. And I'm certainly not going to try to shake down my coworkers. Fundraisers at work are as bad as scentsy, Avon, Tupperware, etc parties.
    So far I've just been writing a check to cover their share of the trip, playground equip, etc. I get that not everyone can do this, but man it makes life so much easier.
  • cgatti2007
    cgatti2007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a box of samoas myself yesterday. I gave the rest of our supply to my husband and he took them to work. I have no willpower when it comes to those cookies
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of cookies in my house as I am a cookie manager for our troop. But, they don't bother me. I just ignore them and I have forgotten about them, until now ;-)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't have children however I am not making eye contact with the little girls at the doors of the grocery stores. Samoas are my kryptonite. HA
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! We bought 10 boxes from our Brownie. Fortunately, we also have a teenage boy, so there's no chance of the cookies going to waste. I've been keeping myself to 5 cookies a day if I eat any.
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How many of you are having as much trouble keeping from snacking on the darned cookies your kid is selling?! I had CASES at my disposal and in the last month we've had them, I've eaten about a box a week ....ugh!!

Only a box a week? I, unfortunately, have fallen off my wagon and for the last 2 days have went through 2 boxes... so a box a day :( no bueno. I need to send them to my husbands work, so other people can eat them. It is really hard to say no to them little morsels of goodness. There is not a kind I don't like!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My son is a Cub Scout, so we have lots of popcorn around in the fall. As a matter of fact, we still have it because we get so sick of it, no-one wants to eat again for months.